Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mb
WARNING: Long message ahead!

Last year I made a wonderful trip to Paris then Essen. I was so glad with it I decided to begin planning another big trip in 2013 - my vacations may be as early as february or as late as august/september. However, I am totally undecided about WHERE to go. While I have several ideas detailed below, I would love any suggestions you might have .

Travel specifications:
Departure: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Travelling: single, gladly travel with friends, would only accept travelling with a travel agency's excursion if the local language barrier is seriously troublesome to an english-speaking tourist.
Budget: Between $6000-10000 (as Brazil is far away from the heart of many routes, the travel tickets scale up considerably)

Now, which places I considered (there is no order of preference):

1) USA (several options follow):

General pro: Language wouldn't be a problem, plenty of interesting places to choose.
General con: First, my workplace is located directly in front of the american consulate and frankly, the huge line, the taxes and the bureaucracy needed to acquire a VISA is despairing. You may think this as a trivial issue, but it is not.

1A) New York:

Pro: Is one of the big cities I would love to see.
Cons: I would like to spend at least two weeks away. I don't know if I would need a second week in New York.

1B) BGG CON:

Pro: Boardgaming abstinence wouldn't be an issue. Possibility to meet several BGG illustrious users (I regret my shyness for not talking to Aldie in Essen but the BGG staff seemed very busy).

Con: I consider my days in Essen "the icing on the cake" of a marvellous journey. I don't know if the boardgaming hobby *alone* would be reason enough to choose this destination.

1C) Disneyworld

Pro: Never went there, and like many people I am drawn to the attractons of this mega amusement complex.
Con: I don't know if the amusements will be enough. I love Museums and history.

2) Europe
General Pro: There are so many interesting countries and places to go!
General Con: My last trip was to Europe and I am a bit tempted to go someplace more exotic.

2A) England

Pro: Language will not be a problem. London is one of my "mandatory cities to visit at least once in life". The British Museum, the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey.
Con: I visited London for one day during the last trip. While this is negligible, it lessens the "wholly new trip" factor.

2B) Germany

Pro: Plenty of interesting cities to visit (specially Berlin, Hamburg and Munich). WOuld love to opportunity to meet again
J. Schmidt-Ebeling
Germany
Siegburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

, a good german gamer friend . May consider a trip to Essen again, but my first pilgrimage was so good I don't have the burning need to do it again, at least for now.
Con: My english-speaking experience in Dusseldorf and Essen outside the fair (okay, I concede Essen IS a small city) was much more difficult than in Paris.

2C) Scandinavia: In this trip I'd include more than one country.

Pro: The stunning landscapes. The thermal waters and volcanoes of Iceland, the Fjords, the Aurora Borealis and if I am truly crazy, that Ice Hotel in lapland. BTW, would love the oppotunity to be contact with snow (sounds silly, I know).
Cons: Costlier trip compared to the other european routes. Would force me to go ther in early 2013 (February/March). Communication issues ? (reserved behavior x openness to english-speaking tourist?)

3) Asia - specifically: China. I would like to extend the trip to either know Lhasa (Tibet), Kathmandu (Grognads' birthplace) OR Ulaanbataar (Mongolia), for different reasons. As an alternative, I could go to Indonesia-Singapore-Malaysia.

Pro: Ultimate exotic culural clash.
Cons: Very expensive trip, the language barrier.

4) French Polynesia (Bora Bora, Tahiti, Mo'orea)

Pro: I am fascinated by the pacific island cultures, specifically Melanesia, Polynesia and Micronesia. Having to make a choice, I'd pick Polynesia, even though Vanuatu, New Zealand and Australia interest me too. I've fancied a trip from Chile to Galapagos Islands but I woudn't want to focus only at the natural scenery aspect.

Cons: A very expensive trip, considering I would probably need to take two flights (to Chile then Tahiti). The other problem is my skin: not only I get sunburns too easily, I acquired a nasty solar-induced allergy when I travelled to the caribbean islands at 12. This kind of accident springs to mind when you travel to another tropical paradise.

5) South America cruise through Cape Horn (near the Antarctic continent)

Pro: An easy trip, probably meaning a flight to Chile then making a cruise through the Cape Horn at the southermost tip of the Americas, then making a brief visit to the Falklands then
Argentina (and Uruguay too?) before arriving in Rio. The beauty of the antarctic glaciers!

Cons: Some of the attractions of this cruise depend upon the weather conditions. It's a less ambitious trip than most of the former suggestions.

Whew, that's it. Sorry for rambling too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dian
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being from US, a trip to US sounds boring I was going to suggest South America, but then you live there, you might find it not as exciting. Doing the Inca trail walk to Machu Picchu was the highlight of South America. Followed by Chile's Patagonia mountains.
2 weeks seems short for most of the trips you listed. I spent 2.5 weeks in Tibet alone; and 3 weeks in mainland China on a separate trip.
I think for 2 weeks, going around Scandinavia sounds good. Norway, Sweden, and you can take the overnight ferry to Helsinki. English is NO issues at all. As you go south in the European continent, the English gets sketchier. I had no issues whatsoever in Northern Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
wykthor wrote:

2C) Scandinavia: In this trip I'd include more than one country.

Pro: The stunning landscapes. The thermal waters and volcanoes of Iceland, the Fjords, the Aurora Borealis and if I am truly crazy, that Ice Hotel in lapland. BTW, would love the oppotunity to be contact with snow (sounds silly, I know).
Cons: Costlier trip compared to the other european routes. Would force me to go ther in early 2013 (February/March). Communication issues ? (reserved behavior x openness to english-speaking tourist?)

I assume the high cost comes from going to Iceland as that is way-off?

And another question, how are you getting your lodgeings, hostels or couchsurfing, I really recomended the later both for economy and for connections with locals, most of us communicate and understand english and not all of us are reserved to tourists. And again coucsurfings groups and meet for coffe could help.

Also February/March is probably the best time for the snow and icehotel etc (march might be late for the last)

Sweden have loads of well-organised gamers too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
dmk11 wrote:
Being from US, a trip to US sounds boring I was going to suggest South America, but then you live there, you might find it not as exciting. Doing the Inca trail walk to Machu Picchu was the highlight of South America. Followed by Chile's Patagonia mountains.
2 weeks seems short for most of the trips you listed. I spent 2.5 weeks in Tibet alone; and 3 weeks in mainland China on a separate trip.
I think for 2 weeks, going around Scandinavia sounds good. Norway, Sweden, and you can take the overnight ferry to Helsinki. English is NO issues at all. As you go south in the European continent, the English gets sketchier. I had no issues whatsoever in Northern Europe.

However I guess he do know portugese and perhaps some Spanish? Which probaböy would work everywhere except eastern europe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
wykthor wrote:
WARNING: Long message ahead!

The other problem is my skin: not only I get sunburns too easily, I acquired a nasty solar-induced allergy when I travelled to the caribbean islands at 12.

Did not notice this before, I don't know exactly hos your allergy gets induced but Scandinavian winters can be sunny and snow is reflexive etc iirc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Detroit. You're welcome to come visit, but staying home to have a colonoscopy would probably definitely be more fun and more healthful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mb
Thanks for the answers so far. Dian, I had no idea two weeks would be too little for China (though Tibet and and the other locations were unlikely to be fulfilled.) I'd like to visit Macchu Pichu and the Sacred Valley (IIRC) but they are more easily fulfilled.

Virre, Iceland is one of the reasons for high cost expectations, but generally speaking the trips from Brazil to Scandinavia are much higher than the ones to Germany, for example. As for couchsurfing, I prefer a little more privacy but contacting the local gamers there would be a must! Good call about the reflective winter; I must remember this tip if I go there.

Cool User: The detroit tourist & marketing department might want to have a word with you laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yaosen yaosen
Afghanistan
Alaska
flag msg tools
I had no issues whatsoever in Northern Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.