Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently Plaid Hat Games released its latest batch of goodies: 2 Reinforcements Packs and 2 brand new faction decks. While the Filth seem to be absorbing a large bit of the SW fan enthusiasm, I am equally excited about this deck and thought I'd share my take on it.

Image by PollutedMonkey

The box and cards are the standard Plaid Hat quality, which is great in my opinion. The art on the cards is cool, they all have much more color coherence than you would expect from a group of mercenaries. In fact, their little inverted triangle symbol appears on EVERY card... Cool!

But people don't buy summoner wars for the art; what do the factions play like?! I personally think this faction is really fun and interesting.

THE WALLS
The whole theme is based around walls: Via your events, you can move your walls, reform your walls (from the discard), make your units into walls, and transfer damage from your walls to other units (enemies). Their summoner specializes in damaging walls (your own or an enemy's) in exchange for drawing extra cards. THIS IS A CRAZY ABILITY! It is not out of the ordinary to have ten cards in your hand, which is double the usual hand size limit.

THE MAGIC
This guy is just another of the Mercenaries wicked wall magic:

This dude will make your opponent rue the day they placed a wall anywhere near you, as as they can REPEATEDLY drain their magic pile at no cost to you!
Your enormous hand size paired with this guy can give you an inordinate amount of magic, allowing you to summon some beef-o champs without thinking twice. I have seen the mercs field Mundol, Rygos, AND Hulgorad (7-Cost, 7-Cost, 8-Cost) all in a single game. Tread with caution, O enemies of the Mercenaries!

THE FUN
So is this deck fun? Undoubtedly. You will feel a serious rush when you have half of your deck in your hand and then use all those cards in one turn
It may seem like these guys are overpowered. Maybe they are; they certainly have some serious whammy moves in their deck. I personally think that they just require a new kind of strategy to beat: hide your walls.

So needless to say the mercenaries add a special new element to the game of Summoner Wars, which is what I'm always looking for in an expansion... so....

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Three thumbs up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree; though it's harder to implement than you'd think (against an experienced adversary at least). Because Rallul is no powerhouse, you'll rarely see him on the offensive, so when he starts running for your summoner and has a large handful of cards, you kind of see it coming (and can prepare yourself (Spam Commons)).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
One of Many Mikes
badge
Ribbit..?
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I've played the Mercs I've ended up using Magic Pulse as a defensive card. The attack value boost is nice for getting Rallul out of a bind, but I love seeing the look on my opponent's face when I follow it up with a Channelled Summon. Suddenly I'm able to summon a bunch of units from a magic pile that my opponent didn't think I had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.