Lord of the Rings» Forums » Rules

Subject: Keep or Discard Tiles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonjour! I just played LotR: Friends and Foes with some Sauron components tonight with some family members and we came to the strange problem of what to do with the tiles after a player finishes their turn. I checked the manual and couldn't find a conclusive answer. We were using the Sauron draw-bag technique. So, the question:

Do the tiles remain out until the end of the scenario or do they get returned to the bag after each player goes?

We're just wondering because we almost ran out of draw tiles after Moria and Isengard and the rules don't state what to do when you run out of tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiles stay out until the end of the scenario. The regular rules before the bag got added in was that the tiles went face up in a discard pile, which you weren't allowed to look through. There should be enough event tiles that force the side events to be played out to end the scenario (which may have to happen if you don't play enough cards to move along the main track).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
There should be enough event tiles that force the side events to be played out to end the scenario (which may have to happen if you don't play enough cards to move along the main track).

But what happens if the players collectively have enough cards, Gandalf effects, and other items to avoid the events yet still do not finish the main track? It nearly happened to us. We had only three tiles left and none were event tiles nor the main track tiles. Two were for minor tracks and one was the "ringbarer moves toward the dark" tile. We used Frodo's Friends & Foes bonus to avoid one event, paid off both the "either/or events", and may have done one other thing. I can't remember now but we decided to book it to the end of the main track before running into the last event, which we after discovered we would never reach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you played something wrong. There are 8 Sundial tiles in the bag. 2 are avoidable (discard 3 cards and discard one of each token), but 6 are unavoidable. 6 is also the number of Events each Scenario has. There is only 1 Gandalf card that can be used to avoid the effects of an Event (you still move the token down the track) and Gandalf cards are one-shot, so the other three scenarios you will face the Events fully.

Also, how does Frodo's F&F card allow you to skip an Event?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, it was the Sam card "Valour" which lets a player skip an event in exchange for rolling the die. We forgot to move down the event line when we used that card, which is okay since it was on the last event anyway. At lease we figured that out. Good to know that the Gandalf card also still moves the event marker down and that the game doesn't have a random mistake.

So I assume that since all six events can happen in every scenario, five player games (which I have not played) can become a bit chaotic? I mean, there are more resources, but so many more places for problems. Plus, there is no way every player can get ever life token. Even in 4-player games it is impossible. With more players drawing tiles, I feel that three players is probably ideal for this game. Everyone gets all the cards from Rivendell and Lothlorien yet the negative effects aren't so bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True on more hobbits and not having enough life tokens, but then, you do have a lot more corruption to give up as a group, sacrificial lambs can be tossed to eat up corruption, while one or two hobbits stay back on the track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are playing with the dark events variant from the Sauron expansion there is indeed the possibility to empty the bag and run out of event tiles before all six events have happened. The Rulebook states that in this case the scenario simply ends immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. Right when I thought things had been resolved. Thank you for your clarification. Thus far we have used all the tiles, but it has ended the game every time. I much prefer using the bag to using the tile stacks. It just seems more random...though it isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.