1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » The Village Square

Subject: The MBTI thread - now with a poll in the starting post! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Posting this as a spin-off from the R thread, since it pops up regularly.

Post your discussions regarding MBTI here, whether you're a believer or not.

*New and improved* With a poll!

Poll
What MBTI type would you currently characterise as?
(Multiple answers are possbile, but please try to refrain to just one if you can.)
ISTJ – Inspector (11-14%)
ISTP – Crafter (4-6%)
ESTP – Promoter (4-5%)
ESTJ – Supervisor (8-12%)
ENTJ – Fieldmarshal (2-5%)
ENTP – Inventor (2-5%)
INTP – Architect (3-5%)
INTJ – Mastermind (2-4%)
INFJ – Counselor (1-3%)
INFP – Healer (4-5%)
ENFP – Champion (6-8%)
ENFJ – Teacher (2-5%)
ESFJ – Provider (9-13%)
ESFP – Performer (4-9%)
ISFP – Composer (5-9%)
ISFJ – Protector (9-14%)
      65 answers
Poll created by davidenkinderen

I added the general population percentages, so we can see in how far the BGG WW community differs.

A 70-question example test can be found here: MBTI test

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Re: The MBTI thread
Continuing the discussion from the R thread.

ChickenSedan wrote:
For what it's worth:

E-44
N-88
T-62
P-44

What's the base here? 0 or 50?
Does this result reveal you as an ENTP, or an INTJ with strong NT preferance and weak IJ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
davidenkinderen wrote:
Continuing the discussion from the R thread.

ChickenSedan wrote:
For what it's worth:

E-44
N-88
T-62
P-44

What's the base here? 0 or 50?
Does this result reveal you as an ENTP, or an INTJ with strong NT preferance and weak IJ?

I'm just going with what the website tells me. Those were the letters it gave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healer_(role_variant)

I am an INFP, and I am a believer. The Chinese Zodiac (I am a rat), the Greek Zodiac (I am a Cancer), and the MBTI all correlate on the same character traits that I mainly identify with, to a degree that I find cannot be coincidence. I realize that astrology is general enough that this would be true regardless of which combinations I end up with, but I found the correlations too interesting to not be of signifigant note.

INFPs in a nutshell:
-concerned and caring towards others
-sensitive and perceptive about others' feelings
-loyal and committed - want lifelong relationships
-deep capacity for love and caring
-driven to meet other's needs
-strive for "win-win" situations
-nurturing, supportive and encouraging
-likely to recognize and appreciate other's needs
-able to express themselves well
-flexible and diverse
-tend to be shy and reserved
-don't like to have their "space" invaded
-extreme dislike of conflict
-extreme dislike of criticism
-strong need to receive praise and positive affirmation
-react very emotionally to stressful situations
-difficulty in leaving a bad relationship
-difficulty in scolding or punishing others
-reserved about expressing their feelings
-perfectionistic tendencies may cause them to not give themselves enough credit
-tendency to blame themselves for problems, and hold everything on their own shoulders

Rats in a nutshell:
-expressive
-revere their close friends, but have many acquaintances
-self-contained
-stubborn
-live by their own rules
-perfectionists
-protective
-sensual and loving
-lead busy lives
-problem solvers
-can never decide for themselves
-present a cool facade to the outside world, regardless of internal feelings
-Rat's colour is light blue (I love the colour blue!)

Cancers in a nutshell:
-emotional and loving
-intuitive and imaginative
-shrewd and cautious
-protective and sympathetic
-changeable and moody
-overemotional and touchy
-clinging and unable to let go

So yeah, I ascribe to the belief that these different means descibe me pretty well. Do I listen to horoscopes? No. All I find these tests and general descriptions are good for is describing myself in a nutshell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elia - "Rainbow Hippie" Acca
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a believer. It's just some cathegories you're given after you answer some questions according to your idea of yourself.
Freud (whose psycanalisis, if outdated, at least is deeper) said that self-analysis is impossible. You find that the description matches your characteristic because you more or less unconsciously chose what group you wanted to fall into.
Anyway, it's a very fun thing to try, and I'm not saying it's worthless. It's just not that objective revelation of your inner self someone wants it to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm INTJ - the website I remember doing it on gives it the nickname "Mastermind" which I found hilariously fantastic.

wikipedia wrote:
Hallmarks of the INTJ include independence of thought and a desire for efficiency. They work best when given autonomy and creative freedom. They harbor an innate desire to express themselves by conceptualizing their own intellectual designs. They have a talent for analyzing and formulating complex theories. INTJs are generally well-suited for occupations within academia, research, consulting, management, science, engineering, and law. They are often acutely aware of their own knowledge and abilities—as well as their limitations and what they don't know (a quality that tends to distinguish them from INTPs). INTJs thus develop a strong confidence in their ability and talents, making them natural leaders.

That's a decently accurate description for me. It's less accurate today then it was a few years ago, however. I would be curious to retest and see if I get the same personality type. I know the I and J will still be there, but I'm less sure about the N and T. Still, I figure those elements fit better than the alternatives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Accatitippi wrote:
I'm not a believer. It's just some cathegories you're given after you answer some questions according to your idea of yourself.
Freud (whose psycanalisis, if outdated, at least is deeper) said that self-analysis is impossible. You find that the description matches your characteristic because you more or less unconsciously chose what group you wanted to fall into.
Anyway, it's a very fun thing to try, and I'm not saying it's worthless. It's just not that objective revelation of your inner self someone wants it to be.

That is such a typical NT answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Accatitippi wrote:

I wonder if there was a way to make a test that you could give to others to do, to get a picture of which category they think you fall into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidenkinderen wrote:
Posting this as a spin-off from the R thread, since it pops up regularly.

Post your discussions regarding MBTI here, whether you're a believer or not.

I think MBTI is somewhat useful on a low level of philosophical and psychological understanding. It's rather basic and people carry away with it and turn it into something very similar to astrology. It's like thinking you know everything about blood disease because you happen to understand blood types. There's just so much more to psychology than the simple mapping of typical emotional characteristics.

I'm INFJ/INTJ. Depending on the test I'm very slightly feeling or Thinking. I do both. The other characteristics are fairly accurate, with the I being extremely strong. I'm a step short of agoraphobic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Corrin
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Traveller Werewolf - more games planned
badge
Still have werewolf games in sign-up.
mbmbmbmbmb

We took the course at my previous job, as it was suppose to help us assign tasks to people that would like to work on them, rather than assigning say an analytic task to a intuitive person (for example).

Of course in practice the company didn't want people to specialize (if a person always does the same task, they get very good at it, which means that they get given the task repeatedly until they move on to another position and then no-one knows how to do the task well), so immediately after the course they implemented a policy to have people only assigned to tasks that they had not done before, until everyone had done such a task.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorrin wrote:

We took the course at my previous job, as it was suppose to help us assign tasks to people that would like to work on them, rather than assigning say an analytic task to a intuitive person (for example).

Of course in practice the company didn't want people to specialize (if a person always does the same task, they get very good at it, which means that they get given the task repeatedly until they move on to another position and then no-one knows how to do the task well), so immediately after the course they implemented a policy to have people only assigned to tasks that they had not done before, until everyone had done such a task.

I can see why this was you previous job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristie Satterly
United States
Bailey
Colorado
flag msg tools
Run you clever boy, and REMEMBER!
badge
Well behaved women, seldom make history.
mbmbmbmbmb
Believer? Depends on what you mean by that. Is this a religious thread?

I think analysis of personality types is useful. I like looking at astrology, and find that certain aspects of it are useful as well. Handwriting analysis is also fun, and amazingly informative. Numerology is interesting, but I don't understand it well enough to have an opinion on it... it seems too random from what I have read, but I feel like I'm missing key elements. Bio-rhythm is too difficult for me as well, and either I just don't fully understand it or it is total crap... no idea which.

Aspects of peoples personality can be found in everything...
nature/nurture arguments come to mind as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe we should rename this the pseudoscience thread. Anyone up for phrenology?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristie Satterly
United States
Bailey
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChickenSedan wrote:
Maybe we should rename this the pseudoscience thread. Anyone up for phrenology?

Certainly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read Tarot cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristie Satterly
United States
Bailey
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guenhwyvhar wrote:
I read Tarot cards.

How accurate would you say it has been for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kristiefix wrote:
Guenhwyvhar wrote:
I read Tarot cards.

Everyone I read for seems to find meaning in the readings I give. I take a different approach to reading than your normal Tarot reader, because I don't get paid for something everyone can figure out for themselves. I just help them understand what the cards mean, and help show them how it could apply to their questions or scenarios. If they find a deeper understanding, bonus; if not, at least they explored themselves a bit.

But I have never had someone tell me that they have not benefited from a reading.

I would never pay for a Tarot reading, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Era
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
A friend in need is a friend indeed
badge
An enemy in need is hilarious
mbmbmbmbmb
Guenhwyvhar wrote:
I read Tarot cards.

So do I.

*brofist*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guenhwyvhar wrote:
kristiefix wrote:
Guenhwyvhar wrote:
I read Tarot cards.

Everyone I read for seems to find meaning in the readings I give. I take a different approach to reading than your normal Tarot reader, because I don't get paid for something everyone can figure out for themselves. I just help them understand what the cards mean, and help show them how it could apply to their questions or scenarios. If they find a deeper understanding, bonus; if not, at least they explored themselves a bit.

But I have never had someone tell me that they have not benefited from a reading.

I would never pay for a Tarot reading, however.

I don't "believe" in tarot cards, or palm reading, but I think they're interesting and fun experiences.

I wouldn't pay for either, however. I had a friend who was a professional palm reader, and she read my palm and it was fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperChutney wrote:
Guenhwyvhar wrote:
I read Tarot cards.

So do I.

*brofist*

*brofist*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
Posted this in another thread, but I see it more belongs here:

Gelatinous Goo wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:

You can see this in the WW forums, with the deeply analytic players vs. the more emotional players, and how they approach games.

Okay, we need to mod some games stocked with various temperaments, or all the same temperament.

Perfect 11: Village of the INTPs

I don't think we could fill a village of ENFPs, but there are a few of us here.

Also, it would be interesting if someone who really understood the temperaments stocked the roles based on temps (though it would be data that could be used to solve the game). But Seer is ISFP, Martyr is ENFJ (I'm making these up, but you get the idea).

Moreso, I'd like to see a Village of the same temperament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As I said in the other thread, I think that's a great idea.

btw I'm not super familiar with MBTI, but I'm interested in it. I'd love to see someone expand on which types would fit which WW roles and why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristie Satterly
United States
Bailey
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
funkadillo wrote:
As I said in the other thread, I think that's a great idea.

btw I'm not super familiar with MBTI, but I'm interested in it. I'd love to see someone expand on which types would fit which WW roles and why.

Did you know I'm introverted about half the time I take the test and extroverted the other half? I think its because I'm Gemini.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting... I remember being strongly INTP when I was in High School.

Now I'm apparently _ST_, with the I/E and P/J being close to 50% and flip flopping with the different tests I try. I spent many years trying to be more extroverted, Yay E. I've learned to be a lot more assertive recently so I can hold my ground against my SO, so the J uptick makes sense...

But Wow. I'm shocked I'm scoring as a S now instead of a N. I really wasn't expecting that. Perhaps it's thanks to WW and this community.

Thanks Guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
kristiefix wrote:

Did you know I'm introverted about half the time I take the test and extroverted the other half? I think its because I'm Gemini.

Me too!
*fist bump*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.