Mark Rosado
United States
East Stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
2nd Lieutenant United States Army
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Board gaming has been almost non existant the past few months, due to being so occupied with my little boy he's almost 2 and is quite a handful. I've tried saving my board gaming passion by picking up some solo player board games, but they just dont quite do it for me. I need a really good solo game that has alot of meat to it. What do you guys recommend? Take a look at my collection so far and shoot me your recommendations...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambush! super narrative WWII solo, squad level. It a fantastic game. Very meaty, and engrossing. It keeps me goin in the lean times, when I can't get together with friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your ratings, I have a few ideas. For your wargaming side, D-Day at Omaha Beach would be a great choice, as would Ambush!, mentioned above, if you're able to find either. If not, how about Field Commander: Napoleon? It's a bit less in depth in terms of simulation level, but the series of campaigns should keep you interested for quite some time.

I'd also think from other things you like that Ghost Stories would be a very good choice. It's challenging, and kept me busy for a good 30 plays a couple of years back. Another you should look at is Defenders of the Realm. You can make that as challenging as you like, with options provided. Personally, I think it's excellent solo when running two heroes. With 8 heroes to choose from, there are many combinations to explore. Both of these games have expansions should you reach the point where you want more.

Finally, I've got to mention the two games I've been playing solo recently: Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game and Friday. Both have an addictive quality that keeps you coming back for more play. I think Death Angel would be the better choice for you, because you're looking for depth and you'd want the expansions for that after your first couple dozen games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of time frame do you have? And do you have the space to keep a long game set up, and away from your munchkin's curious hands?

I'll second some recommendations already made here, as well as make a few of my own:

d10-1Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations takes you on a multiday campaign as you manage your squadrons and plan missions. If you want to succeed, you'll need to plan well and make sound decisions. As Kevin stated above, you can knock out a mission in around 30 minutes and complete the campaign over a period of days. I've played over 60 missions, I can't imagine I'll ever grow weary of it.

d10-2 Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game plays solo in an hour or less. Once you "get" the rules and flow of the game, its a fun game, and plays well. It has a lot of tension, a lot of luck, and your decisions matter. There seems to be a good degree of replayability as well.

d10-3 D-Day at Omaha Beach looks very fun. I've got it spread out, am most of the way through the rules, and am about to dive into my first game. People say really good things about this and I can see why from where I am in the learning process now. I played my first game and had a good time. I was forced with some tough decisions and I can see a lot of depth and replay value to this game. It also has some unique mechanisms for resolving attacks and I like the command rules for leader units.

d10-4 Struggle for the Galactic Empire requires the same physical footprint as D-Day at Omaha Beach. It'll take you a few hours to get through your first game. The premise of the game is you are trying to hold onto your galaxy spanning empire as rebellions, invaders, usurpers, aliens, etc. pop up and rapidly dissolve your empire. You've got to restore order and rebuild your empire all while fending off many random and debilitating events. I've really enjoyed both my plays so far. It's fairly "meaty" to me.

Hope that helps!

d10-5 Forgot to add the one I'm currently busy with the most, Race for the Galaxy, which requires the expansion Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm to play solo. The game is quick to set up and play. The robot AI is tough to beat. Even playing optimally, I won't win every game. Since I've started to win, I'm at a 50% win rate on easy difficulty. While it's short and just a card game, I think it is very meaty and deep. There are 9 different start worlds once you own the expansion, and the Robot AI is programmed to play each differently. Lots of replayability as far as I'm concerned, and lots of depth to the gameplay as well. As a bonus, if you can get others to play, the solitaire version plays differently than the multiplayer version, so it may give the game extra "life".

d10-6 I've also had fun with All Things Zombie: The Boardgame. Whatever you have for players is okay, because it is designed to play solo, cooperative, or competitive. I'd much rather play this as a solitaire experience. It has some quirkiness to it. Some of which are the mechanics that govern survivor vs. survivor fights, but all that takes is familiarization with the rules. The other quirky aspect is the survivor stacking limit and melee mechanics, which to me are mostly unrealistic but are there for game balance. I look past the few quirks, not a big deal really, to enjoy what is actually a pretty fun solitaire game. The player characters are different from one another and never quite behave the way you want them to. One thing I think this game does really well is create a model that approximates the unpredictable behavior of people who don't have the tactical training, discipline, or unit cohesion to make them everything you want them to do. It also creates a great narrative. Your people panic a lot, and then do stupid things that get them eaten. It's war gamey and there are some vague situations the rules don't clearly define, but there are good resources for the game here on BGG and a dependable few folks who answer rules questions well and in a timely manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rouleau
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
I posted something very similar two months ago in http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/742244/looking-for-wwii-.... I ended up purchasing Panzer Grenadier: Elsenborn Ridge and Panzer Grenadier: Winter Soldiers for smaller scenarios, and I have become addicted to to the Panzer Grenadier series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game is an excellent game for solo play. You could also try any of the excellent Victory Point solo titles like Nemo's War.

But for a big box board game Mage Knight is complex enough to hold your interest and has excellent solo rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blank Francis
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more for Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game. I just got it the other day and I've already solo'd it several times. It's definitely addictive, and it will kick your butt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo campaign for Agricola is actually reasonably fun, since you "level up" and keep an occupation between games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I cannot write a huge reason for you, I will recommend The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game for you. It's thinky enough for a challenge and fun and thematic. And for replayability, you also get to buy some more adventure packs to keep it fresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations. Check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.