oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I really liked the idea of SotMV since I read about it and have really enjoyed playing the game - it was in fact as fun as I thought it would be. Coming from a long time comic and video game fan it means a lot as the bar was high.

However, there is certainly a bit of learning curve when it comes to playing the game... This is best conveyed by sharing the notes from each of the first five sessions I had with the card chaos mayhem...

Session 1
Villian: Baron Blade
Heros: Bunker; Ra; Legacy
Evironment: Megalopolis
Players: Solo (E)
Outcome: DRAW (Technicality)

Simple test playthrough (solo). Missed a good number of card execution steps [one really big one was when the Baron got flame immunity after I had played a Ra card that turned all player attack damage into fire damage! Instead of realizing it, I had Bunker kick the crap out of him without deflecting the fire damage - no doubt this would have changed the outcome of the game...] Remembering all the modifiers is difficult (on top of that the nemisis modifier...); so I am going to try next game with the modifier markers (fan made, posted on BGG)... Had a blast and different heros really pulled through in different ways - great capture of the X-men/Fantastic Four teamwork approach to combat.

Session 2
Villian: Omnitron
Heros: Tachyon; Bunker; Haka
Evironment: Atlantis
Players: Co-op (E,J)
Outcome: WIN (* = played vilian "one card short" - see below)

First "official" game. This character combo dominated. Almost finsihed with all characters at full health. The Omnitron card pulls just didn’t build up enough drones to be effective. The environment did put lots of Kraken (5 damage to lowest HP hero) into play, but were offset by Haka's Dominion (all enviro damage to him) and his three shields (as well as his many heal cards). Bunker dominated the damage delivery by playing Grenade Launcher and Flak Cannon then shifting into Turret Mode for the rest of the game (7 projectile damage to one target, 4 to the next, and 2 to the final - luckily Omnitron's Technological Singularity was the first card played... equipment was safe!). Tachyon was completely support: removed villians ongoing card (Adaptive Plating Subroutine) and haulted the Kraken attacks with sonic damage. NOTE: did use marker and they really helped with keeping track of card effects - will continue to use... NOTE: REALIZED THAT WE WERE DRAWING ONE LESS CARD THAN REQUIRED DURING THIS BATTLE - YOU DRAW THE CARD REFERRED TO ON THE VILLIAN CHARACTER CARD AND THEN THE VILLIAN CARD REQUIRED IN THE TURN ORDER CYCLE...

Session 3
Villian: Grand Warlord Voss
Heros: Wraith; Fanatic; Tempest
Evironment: Wagner Mars Base
Outcome: LOSE

Took some time to get familiar with the characters… Eventually had a good pattern of Wraith taking out the minion drawn, Fanatic supporting, and Tempest kicking lightning butt (with tons of equipment modifiers… 7+ at a time versus Voss). The first huge wave of minions was taken down by chain lightning. Got Voss to 39 and were making plans to have Fanatic allow two powers for Tempest: Heal and Attack. Instead, after surviving a number of dust storms with Wraith's grappling hook (and re-equipping the lost items), we drew Forced Deplyment with 12 minions in the trash pile... Needless to say it was just a short round to the end game as the meteor shower disallowed any attempt to deal with the insurmountable number of minions... Until, the Fanatic drew End of Days - a power that can clear the play area of all but character cards.. Unfortunately, it's appearance was one turn too late. The deployment arrived, Voss's card turned and the base was overrun by the Thorathian Army, Voss had conquered the earth, the game was over, the table was covered with cards, and we were finished... Not a great combo of heros, but we eventually did get into a workable groove - just a turn too late. NOTE: Read on-line that the Wagner Mars Base is one of the toughest locations of the four as is the pairing with Grand Warlord Voss.

Session 4
Heros: Absolute Zero; Ra; Visionary
Evironment: Insula Primalis
Players: Solo (E)
Outcome: LOSE

I was thinking Baron Blade would be an easy win, but the heros choosen made it difficult… (Solo game up late with kid - so wanted to try the heros not used so far). I could never get AZ up and going - he never really caused any major damage… same with Visionary - although she helped manage Baron's trash pile (if it hits 15 the game is over). The environment was what really hit the hardest: T-rex; Velociraptors; Lava Rivers; and at one point TWO Obsidian Fields (each increase ALL damage delt by 1]. Maybe with a stronger hero (Bunker, Haka, Legacy) that protects and modifies the others it may have been more of a battle. As it was, I barely got Baron flipped over and one by one the heros dropped.. The game has a great "feel" to it, although with all the book keeping I think I will be playing it more solo than with J. I still miss card text, modifiers, and such - but as long as you are accepting of flubs from time to time the game is still a lot of fun - it goes balls to the wall with theme and that really makes up for the rest...

Session 5
Heros: Legacy, Wraith, Ra
Evironment: Megalopolis
Outcome: WIN

Kick butt game… Totally dominated Baron Blade (All heros ended game with 20+ health - Wraith was at maximum). The Combo of Legacy and Wraith was hardcore - Legacy did lots of damage boosts and the Wraith did tons of Vilian deck management (she had the Utility Belt, so could use the Infrared Eyepiece power and another - mostly throwing knives with the +2 bonus). Her character was really powerful since I had three instances of Improptu Invention. Ra was basically a 5 damage per turn flame thrower, not as exciting as the other heros, but still effective. He dealt the final blow with his Wrathful Gaze... nice. The Megalopolis is a VERY soft environment - totally opposite of the Wagner Mars Base. There were two Police Backup cards out nearly the entire game - since we didn't have to discard any - they were constantly hitting the Baron (except when we had the Living Force Field up...). The Legacy/Wraith combo is deadly and I will have to try that with one of the more powerful vilians... (Grand Warlord Voss or Citizen Dawn). I really get into this game, but it is mostly a one sided affair, J is overwhelmed by the rules and all the writing - but a good sport anyway... Getting better at following all the cards in play and less frustrated if I miss something - just keep the action going and don't sweat it when it comes to the fine details... (Again, missed the Nemisis modifiers for Legacy and The Baron.)

If you like comic books and don't mind a bit of worthwhile book keeping - this is a no brainer purchase... Lots o' cards, resonable price, and tons of replayability and good times to be had...

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ingersoll
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
The deployment arrived, Voss's card turned and the base was overrun by the Thorathian Army, Voss had conquered the earth, the game was over, the table was covered with cards, and we were finished...

I think you might have mis-played this one. Voss only checks for "minion overrun" on one side of his card, at the start of his turn; if he flipped that turn, you should have been fine as (IIRC) Forced Deployment doesn't happen until the end of his turn (along with all the effects of whatever jumps out of the trash). You should still have a turn to deal with the minions before the auto-win (read: End of Days). I might be mis-remembering Forced Deployment, though.

Excellent reports, though! Managing all of the various triggers and modifiers really makes this game tough to learn, but I completely agree with your assessment here:

oldschoolgamr wrote:
I still miss card text, modifiers, and such - but as long as you are accepting of flubs from time to time the game is still a lot of fun - it goes balls to the wall with theme and that really makes up for the rest...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vyolynce wrote:
oldschoolgamr wrote:
The deployment arrived, Voss's card turned and the base was overrun by the Thorathian Army, Voss had conquered the earth, the game was over, the table was covered with cards, and we were finished...

I think you might have mis-played this one. Voss only checks for "minion overrun" on one side of his card, at the start of his turn; if he flipped that turn, you should have been fine as (IIRC) Forced Deployment doesn't happen until the end of his turn (along with all the effects of whatever jumps out of the trash). You should still have a turn to deal with the minions before the auto-win (read: End of Days). I might be mis-remembering Forced Deployment, though.

Excellent reports, though! Managing all of the various triggers and modifiers really makes this game tough to learn, but I completely agree with your assessment here:

oldschoolgamr wrote:
I still miss card text, modifiers, and such - but as long as you are accepting of flubs from time to time the game is still a lot of fun - it goes balls to the wall with theme and that really makes up for the rest...

I think you are mis-remembering. Forced Deployment happens at Start of the Villain Turn. However, he was probably still fine for the following reason: Whenever timing has a conflict, you go in the order the cards were played. Voss was obviously played first, so first he checks for his flip condition, doesn't see it, and then Forced Deployment triggers, bringing everything back. Then you have 1 turn to deal with things. Now, assuming there are still 10 minions left after a full turn, I BELIEVE, Voss will flip, and then still check for overrun (I don't see why he wouldn't) in the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ingersoll
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that sounds right; otherwise FD would happen the turn it's drawn, which obviously isn't what happens. Duh. blush

Every time I've played Voss, we knock him on to his Warrior side almost immediately, so I was just used to FD always having a two-turn "delay" before the insta-loss and completely screwed up why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vyolynce wrote:
Yeah, that sounds right; otherwise FD would happen the turn it's drawn, which obviously isn't what happens. Duh. blush

Every time I've played Voss, we knock him on to his Warrior side almost immediately, so I was just used to FD always having a two-turn "delay" before the insta-loss and completely screwed up why.

To be nitpicky -- the reason FD doesn't happen the turn it's drawn is because on the turn it is drawn, the start phase of Voss' turn has already passed.

What Bryan was saying is that if you are on the side of Voss' card such that Voss is checking the number of minions at the start of the villain turn, then you really do have a situation where the condition check and FD are both being checked during the 'start' phase, BUT, because Voss' card was played before FD, it would be checked first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback - I have finally learned the phases of each turn and am playing accurately now...

Look for my Omnitron Opus session report in the next week or so... Complete with new method of tracking HP and modifiers - one that really works: pen and paper (gasp!) I know - bookeeping like they suggest in the manual? Seriously, I catch everything, the game moves faster, and I have more fun - bonus all around. I never would have called that one.

FYI - I figured the turn details about the same time I finally figured out how to play Tachyon and Absolute Zero... Redonkulusly fun...!

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.