Introduction: At the cost of the experiencing the encounters before actually playing the game, here's an easy tutorial to learn the AH rules. I *highly* recommend still downloading player aids, such as the monster combat flow chart.
1. Setup: Start off with the Arkham Encounters deck and a character sheet. Setup the character sheet normally.
2. Play: You will only play the Upkeep and Arkham Encounters phases. Perform upkeep per the rules, which usually means adjusting your sliders. Don't worry about them -- you'll know when you'll need to adjust them. During the Arkham Encounter phases, draw an Encounter card of a neighborhood of your choice or randomly, then resolve it.
3. Monsters: If an Encounter says a monster appears, get out the monster combat flow chart and go through combat. Don't be surprised if you lose the combat. It just means an opportunity to learn the unconsciousness and insanity rules, which you'll need to learn, anyway.
4. Gates: If an Encounter says a gate opens, get the Gate cards and learn the gate rules. Your next two turns will only have the Upkeep and Outer World Encounter phases. On your third turn, you will have an Upkeep and Arkham Encounter phase. However, during the Arkham Encounter phase, you will close or seal a gate, instead of drawing an Encounter card.
5. Endgame: Encountering a monster and closing a gate should expose you to most of the game mechanics. Try a solo game of the regular game.
This tutorial will teach you most of the mechanics of the game. You will need to learn additional ones, such as the Mythos phase, and the Movement phase. The gameplay of the full game will give you more choices and strategy.
- Last edited Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:13 am (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:12 am