G W M
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Don't play in the street....
mbmbmbmbmb

I am thoroughly enjoying my new Storm of Souls set and have played several solitaire games.

To put it bluntly I am getting smashed by the Nemesis in every game try as I might!

Is anyone else finding the solitaire version of SoS quite hard to conquer?

I certainly feel I am getting my money's worth, but want to know if there is light at the end of the tunnel for this solo journeyman?

Any strategic thoughts or help appreciated...

GM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played solitaire twice, and first time I beat the game, while the second time I lost a little (the score was something like 48-52).

At the beginning while you cannot afford expensive cards or tough monsters the Nemesis really shines - he gets a lot of points while you just building up the strength of your deck. But later on in the game when your deck becomes much stronger it is the other way around - you are buying and defeating expensive cards hopefully leaving him only cheap 1-point stuff. So at the beginning he runs away with points and later in the game you must try to catch up with him. During the first game I thought I would never be able to do it, with him defeating a 8VP monster and gaining other expensive cards early on, but as my deck grew powerful I got the situation under control.

The most obvious advice is to avoid buying 1VP-heroes from the center row - you should leave them to the Nemesis.
Heroes and effects that allow you to discard cards from the center row are also more useful than in the regular game since they allow you to deny the Nemesis come of the more expensive cards.

One last note - both of my solitaire games were played with all three sets mixed together - possibly this made the game a little easier, but I'm not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G W M
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Don't play in the street....
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughts Mikhail, much appreciated.

I am playing straight SoS solitaire - it appears harder than the previous two sets just for info.

GM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
It is quite a challenge so far. I've only played a couple games. The first game I lost 82 to 45. I learned real fast you want to make sure you take advantage of any "banish anything from the center" cards and get rid of anything that is major points. If the center is full of small point cards, focus on refining your deck or acquiring from the left until something bigger comes out and focus on that.

Second game I won by a few points. It's a good solitaire game for so far. I could imagine the randomness of the cards could hand you an easy game, and a total ball crusher the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.