Kaiserschlacht: 1918» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Kaiserschlacht 1918 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph A
Germany
flag msg tools
mb

I bought this last Fall and played it for the first time this weekend.

Read through the rules (very simplified) and the objectives in about 30 minutes. So, this would be quite an easy game to play for an experienced war-gamer, in my opinion; probably not so for the beginner only due to the scale of the game, in my opinion.

So I do think that allowing stacking of up to four divisions in a hex is a little unreasonable (even though only the top two units would defend/attack); especially considering the actual size of American divisions (huge); I also found that the absence of rail interdiction greatly affected play (you can use air interdiction against supply and ground movement).

As the turns played on, calculating the defensive value of a hex (adding up terrain, unit defensive strength, looking to see if a unit was in a Main Defensive Line or a secondary Line, remembering entrenchments for those who had entrenched), became a little tiresome. The map is huge, and the counters are many!

I decided a simple all-out push to Paris plan for the Germans.

The only problem with my strategy is that the Americans can be diverted directly to Paris to stop the German onslaught. The German Army needed a better balance, like going after the three ports that supply the Brits, so a "two-front" campaign may work better, but that became challenging to manage playing both sides by myself.

A combination of massed Stoss attacks, supported by air, tanks and artillery support made Verdun a reasonably easy target for the Germans, as it was on the way to Paris. Eventually I got tired and realized that I wouldn't achieve the objective that I'd set initially and stopped playing, concluding that the Germans would lose.

The maps became quite frustrating - one large map-board would have been better. I wound up taping the five map sections to the floor and I don't like tape on paper maps.cry

Overall I rate this a 6 or 7, I would play it again, but probably best against a live opponent who understands the game. Had fun with it anyway.

Cheers~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review, thanks!

I haven't played this game, but I've played All Quiet on the Western Front quite a bit, which has a similar scale. If you've played AQWF, I'd be interested in how they compare.

And if you need to tape maps, definitely use drafting tape - http://www.quickship.com/3m-scotch-drafting-tape-clear. It peels off easily and doesn't tear the paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph A
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, I have not played AQWF ( I do have an original copy of AH 1914 somewhere), so I cannot give a comparison. My real interests are WWII Eastern Front campaigns, but KS 1918 seemed interesting, and rated highly enough, to make me want to try it. Cheers~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gonzalo fernandez
Spain
Alcazar san Juan
flag msg tools
mb
Now playing This little monster, and happily surprised. An unknown jewell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always liked this game. I bought the original way back when and it's the good ol' Big & Dumb catagory.Meaning large size but easy rules.alittle murky in spots but still nothing thats a game killer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
As the Germans, you should go for either the Brits or the Frenchies, but NOT both. The game rewards you for singling out one enemy country to attack. The Germans can take out either enemy, and then, since they cannot attack once demoralized, you can play defense in that sector.

In this sense, Ludendorff screwed it all up as he hadn't read the rules and tried to hammer both countries.

I have played the game three times so far and each time the game was over within 60 turns - two months - and each time it was a German victory.

I LOVE the map however!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.