Subject: How many years has this game been in "playtesting"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
How many years has this game been in "playtesting"? I'm seeing posts claiming this game was to be out 4+ years ago.

How long does it take?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you would care to take the time and direct your gaze to this Forum Post:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/710646/update
you will find information that should satisfy your curiosity.
It actually helps to have a look at the forum posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole sotry of DDD is too long to tell in 1 message, but it's road was paved with lots of stumbling blocks.
Alot of game designers will be able to confirm that the average development from rough idea to actual release takes longer than most gamers are aware off. I know alot of designs that took 5-8 years to finally reach publication. Some well-known classics even took longer.
It has alot to do with both the slow process of playtesting (good playtest groups are hard to come by) and establishing a contract with a publisher.
DDD has seen alot of almost-publication-moments in its 5-year history, but looking back it was for the better that these never materialized, since it gave me time to further refine the game.
This is a heavyweight, not in complexity but in the amount of game you get, and that takes alot of time to get balanced. It has also a series of mechanics that are never used before, so I had to experiment from scratch.
I think the game has refined alot this past year, and I learned alot from its process.

Unfortunatly, a recent situation I won't explain in full detail other than that it was outside my reach (to my won frustration) lead to the fact publication is most possibly delayed to 2013. We will do everything to get it earlier on the market, but this is a very complex production and some things can go wrong of alot of people are involved.

In any case, this game is definitly coming, and I think alot of people will be pleasantly surprised with its gameplay that is alot deeper than most people expect from a zombie game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
eisenphx wrote:
If you would care to take the time and direct your gaze to this Forum Post:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/710646/update
you will find information that should satisfy your curiosity.
It actually helps to have a look at the forum posts.

That thread claims its coming in 2012. The designer, on this very thread, just claimed it is coming in 2013. Another year just got tacked on.

Conclusion: You pointed me to a useless thread. The exact date the game will be released is not given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks to the designer for coming in here and giving an update. As for the main post well, the snark was answered with more snark and here we are!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roland mcdohl
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you're having difficulty with publishers why won't you publish yourself? like putting it on kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
yontory wrote:
if you're having difficulty with publishers why won't you publish yourself? like putting it on kickstarter.

Nice try.

I'm not having difficulty with anything. I'm here ready to purchase, like many others who have been waiting years as the date keeps getting pushed back over and over and over. Looking at how long its taking to get this game out on the market it appears they are the ones having "difficulties."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh...I think he was talking to David, not you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchants & Marauders was listed for years here prior to first becoming available, while Christian struggled with difficulties getting it published. It was worth the wait, though. Turned out to be a great game. We can only hope the same will prove true for this one. Meanwhile, if people with no patience get their panties in a twist, that can't be helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
clydeiii wrote:
Uh...I think he was talking to David, not you...

If he was I stand corrected in my comment towards him. My stance on the constant delays remains the same though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wynand Louw
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David, you rock! I love panic station, and am sure this will be equally innovative!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T. Probst
Germany
Waghäusel
of the Art
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The puplisher of this game will inform in short time about the game on his website, I'll give you the link when it is done. Be patience...

...and to throw some more wood into the fire, I have pre-ordered the game!
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game sounds cool and I enjoyed the feel of playing Panic Station so I have hopes for this one. I just worry a little since the rules in the box of Panic Station were problematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
miyu wrote:
The game sounds cool and I enjoyed the feel of playing Panic Station so I have hopes for this one. I just worry a little since the rules in the box of Panic Station were problematic.

Ryan, rest assure, I have learned my lesson with the first printrun rules for Panic Station. I can already tell you I won't allow the rules for DDD to be boxed until they are perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ausloosd wrote:
Ryan, rest assure, I have learned my lesson with the first printrun rules for Panic Station. I can already tell you I won't allow the rules for DDD to be boxed until they are perfect.

Awesome. That reassures me a great deal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.