Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
It seems like there are a lot of 2011 games that are not really available, it's now March 2012. What decides the year published date, and does anyone handle it if it gets delayed?

Which games are you thinking of here? Pretty much every single game in this category *was* released in 2011 with a smallish print run, hundreds of folks bought copies in Essen etc, and have been playing them since.

Having the published year match the first availability seems correct to me. It would be odd to do it the other way around, with ownership occurring before publication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
ldsdbomber wrote:
It seems like there are a lot of 2011 games that are not really available, it's now March 2012. What decides the year published date, and does anyone handle it if it gets delayed? since the "gone cardboard" feature seems to be processing some kind of official publisher information, can we not have a proper flag to indicate that a game has indeed been released, so that it's easier to search for 2011 releases that are still unreleased for example?

Likewise when searching for upcoming games, say, 2012, some are already available, and some are not, so again it wuold be nice to be able to differentiate

Ideally Gone Cardboard lets you see what has and what hasn't been released, with that information also appearing on each version of a game (if the game has a 2012 or later release date since GC was introduced on BGG in late 2011). A game is marked "released" if it's available through normal retail channels (unless a game is a limited edition item that never reaches such channels, in which case it's "released" when the limited edition is distributed). Since 500 or so copies of Nefarious were sold at Spiel 2011, the date of first publication is 2011, but for BGG purposes the game is not yet released since the bulk of the production is only now headed to retailers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
I was thinking of Nefarious off the top of my head, I always try to search for games in the current year and beyond then get annoyed when i remember there are games from the previous year that I've never seen available in any online stores.

Right, Nefarious is pretty much the poster boy for this. Few hundred copies at Essen, second print run much later. But, we do know it was for sale to the public in 2011:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
ldsdbomber wrote:
thanks guys, I don't think I would consider Essen as published/released (at least in the way I would want to understand it, i.e available worldwide via whatever distribution chain the publisher has set up) since it's a limited location, and not much use to anyone not going, so is there a place in the game database where Nefarious is seen as unreleased, or a way to query the database to use such a filter?

Right, BGG also adopted the policy that an Spiel release doesn't merit a game being tagged as "released" since the game is not available on the general market (except as I noted earlier in the case of limited editions) – but the game was published in 2011 and available in some form, so that's the year of publication.

As for denoting a game as "unreleased", games released in 2012 and later (and many released in 2011) will have a "released" or "unreleased" status on each version of that game, as in the case of Nefarious here:

I also see that I need to do a general scrubbing of Gone Cardboard so that you and others can more accurately know which games are out and which aren't. This week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.