Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Catan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Longest Road vs. Largest Army: Is the difference in the rules a missprint? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MD Attila
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I've been playing SoC occasionally and I've recently reread the rules and discovered an important difference between the Longest Road and the Largest Army rules that I've missed until now, and I wonder if its a misprint or its written this way on purpose.

The Longest Road rule in question says that if more players have the same number of continuous roads over 5 (or no player has at least 5 roads) than the longest road card is set aside and no player gets it. So if two or more players are tied, then the card is set aside.

On the other hand, the Largest Army rule says that the player with the most revealed knights (at least 3) gets the Largest Army card. The rule does not mention a tie.

The difference is obvious: if there is a tie at the number of roads, no player gets the Longest Road card, but if there is a tie at the number of revealed knights (at least 3), then the player who got the card first keeps the Largest Army card until someone else reveals more knight cards.

The two special cards are quite similar in the way you can get them, and I see no reasons for the difference in the way the owners of the cards may be changed. Any ideas if this difference in the rules has a good reason or its just a misprint?

Thanks,

Attila
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should reread the rules. For longest road... the player that achieves 5 roads first gets the card. They maintain it unless another player excedes the number of roads they have.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob is right. The part you (mis)read is to specifically address the situation where the longest road is broken by another player's settlement and there is a tie for the new longest road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The only 'Longest road gets set aside and unowned' scenario occurs when the former holder of the longest road gets his road severed (by an opposing settlement).

If this reduces the LR holder such that he no longer has the longest (or co-longest), the card is ceded to the player with the longest road of at least 5. If that is tied (or if no player has at least 5) then the LR card is set aside until such time as someone outright claims it by becoming the sole longest of at least 5).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MDAOW wrote:
Hi!

I've been playing SoC occasionally and I've recently reread the rules and discovered an important difference between the Longest Road and the Largest Army rules that I've missed until now, and I wonder if its a misprint or its written this way on purpose.

The Longest Road rule in question says that if more players have the same number of continuous roads over 5 (or no player has at least 5 roads) than the longest road card is set aside and no player gets it. So if two or more players are tied, then the card is set aside.

On the other hand, the Largest Army rule says that the player with the most revealed knights (at least 3) gets the Largest Army card. The rule does not mention a tie.

The difference is obvious: if there is a tie at the number of roads, no player gets the Longest Road card, but if there is a tie at the number of revealed knights (at least 3), then the player who got the card first keeps the Largest Army card until someone else reveals more knight cards.

The two special cards are quite similar in the way you can get them, and I see no reasons for the difference in the way the owners of the cards may be changed. Any ideas if this difference in the rules has a good reason or its just a misprint?

Thanks,

Attila
I'm accustomed to SoC for 3rd edition and 4e Mayfair, both physical game and video game implementations. In principle, they've worked the same way.

for example (to sorta echo what others have already posted)
--p1 gets 5 roads, he now has LR
--p2 gets 5 roads, it's a tie, p1 holds on to LR since p1 got there first
--p3 gets 6 roads, surpasses both p1 and p2, he now has LR
--p3's LR gets broken up into 3 and 3. P1 or p2 could theoretically get LR now since they have the most and 5+, but they're tied, so LR goes back unclaimed *

* Note that there are discrepancies between Mayfair 3e and 4e on how to handle broken up ties

As mentioned LR has the unique case where it can actually decrease whereas there's no way to do so with LA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MD Attila
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Bob is right. The part you (mis)read is to specifically address the situation where the longest road is broken by another player's settlement and there is a tie for the new longest road.

Thanks for the quick replies! Now its clear what I miss-understood and I'm happy that is was actually a misread and not a misprint of the rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MD Attila
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MDAOW wrote:
ras2124 wrote:

Thanks for the quick replies! Now its clear what I miss-understood and I'm happy that is was actually a misread and not a misprint of the rules!

I checked the rules once again, and now I see why I was confused: I have a first edition Hungarian version of the game and in this version the rules explicitly say that if two or more players have the same number of roads than the LR card is set aside. In the second edition Hungarian rules and in the latest English rules the above regulation is mentioned only when the longest road of a player is broken by another player's settlement.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Attila
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MDAOW wrote:
MDAOW wrote:
ras2124 wrote:

I checked the rules once again, and now I see why I was confused: I have a first edition Hungarian version of the game and in this version the rules explicitly say that if two or more players have the same number of roads than the LR card is set aside. In the second edition Hungarian rules and in the latest English rules the above regulation is mentioned only when the longest road of a player is broken by another player's settlement.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Attila
That explains alot. IIRC, Mayfair 1e and 2e were also "wonky" from how the rules have evolved into what we use today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
The only 'Longest road gets set aside and unowned' scenario occurs when the former holder of the longest road gets his road severed (by an opposing settlement).

If this reduces the LR holder such that he no longer has the longest (or co-longest), the card is ceded to the player with the longest road of at least 5. If that is tied (or if no player has at least 5) then the LR card is set aside until such time as someone outright claims it by becoming the sole longest of at least 5).

The LR holder can retain the card only if he still has the longest road after his road is cut. He cannot retain it if he is "co-longest" at this point. The rules say "Set the “Longest Road” card aside if — after a longest road is broken — several players tie for the new longest road or no one has a 5+ segment road."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yee Keat Phuah
Malaysia
flag msg tools
MDAOW wrote:
I have a first edition Hungarian version of the game and in this version the rules explicitly say that if two or more players have the same number of roads than the LR card is set aside.

Strange that this is the rule for Rivals For Catan and they did not change it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Rapp
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
ykphuah wrote:

Strange that this is the rule for Rivals For Catan and they did not change it.

Rivals and Settlers are different games and follow different rules. So, this difference is as intentional as (e.g.) the difference of the building costs for roads is in both games.

Sebastian Rapp / Kosmos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.