Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So now I've got a paypal account, eBay hasn't known whats hit it!

If I was to buy a new char who would you recommend? The chaos warrior sounds awesome but I'm not sure I can find a RP reason for the wonderful heroes to team up with an evil chaos warrior?!

SO who would you recommend me buying?

Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy. Buy the one that interests you most. Not the one deemed "powerfull"... You'll get alot further with a character you like than one you are just playing on near autopilot to rack up points as it were.

Also check out some of the fan made classes and characters. Some are pretty darn fun and dont require a small fortune to find now other than a suitible mini and printing the rules out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first suggestion is that you don't need to stick to the "canon" models. Some I like and some I don't, and so I have a mixture. It's not that hard to find the rules for the different characters if you know where to look, and once that's issue is dealt with, the sky's the limit as to choosing the miniatures you like the most.

As for what to get. I have a soft spot for the Wardancer and the Brettonian Knight, but that's just my personal preference I think. The only one I would suggest definitely putting off for later is the Warrior Priest. Being a bit of a jack-of-all-trades, he comes off as feeling a bit weak. A worse healer than the Wizard (most of the time), and a relatively ineffectual fighter. Other than that, I think it comes down to preference. Though it's worth noting that the Pit Fighter has a self-harm drawback a bit like the Dwarf and Barbarian but more severe, and this can be a bit of a deterrent to some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Huntington
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends a lot on what type of character you want to play or what interests you. From an ability standpoint, I find the pit fighter and wardancer to be powerhouses, especially at low levels. The witch hunter has a lot of possibilities with his amulets. The warrior priest is a good support character with his blessings, but not a dependable healer. The elf ranger gives you a lot of flexibility in how you play him, and might be a good call for your first purchase if you want to try one out. The only warrior I'm disappointed in is the Imperial noble-- I just don't think he's that good.

Alternatively, if you want to save your money before trying out new characters, there are several good WHQ websites with new warriors. Many of these warriors are not too great, IMHO, but there are some really well done ones out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Chaos Warrior is the most unique of the lot. Definitely not my "favorite" but he's a lot of fun to play!

WHQ: Chaos Warrior review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by best? The problem with the expansion characters was that they were playtested by grade schoolers so that they were either weak to the point of uselessness or grossly overpowered.

I played the Warrior Priest. He was comically weak, "towing an anchor" weak. More harm than good, he would actually routinely hurt the heroes.
Still, playing him was funny.

The Imperial Noble was kinda cool (he had a gun) but also super weak.

I liked the Bretonnian Knight. Almost seemed balanced. Great figure.

I'm pretty sure the Witch Hunter was on the strong side but had interesting powers.

The Pit Fighter and Wardancer were ridiculously overpowered. If by best you mean raw game-bending kickass power, these two are the ones you want.

EDIT: to clarify, all my opinions are based off first level adventures, never played campaign, so the classes may change with levels, no idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno what I meant by the best to be honest.

I guess I'm gonna get the troll slayer and the imperial noble. Basically I wanna do a few dungeon runs with Gotrek and Felix The imperial noble rules seem really lame, so I'm going to have him act more like a normal hero (Felix isn't the type to only shop at some snooty shop, quite the opposite infact) I think a little campaign with those 2 and then recruiting a wizard in the form of Max Schrieber would be EPIC. I just need some good rules for a vampire hero and I can get Ulrika to round it off to four, maybe retrofitting the Kislevite Shaman, as she is a Kislevite....

Certainly seems that they all offer something different which is lovely, though from the DIRE reviews of the warrior priest I kinda really want one now

Oh and if you have no clue who Gotrek and Felix are, shame on you, immediately go and buy the omnibus books its like WHQ the book! (sort of)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote goes to the Brettonian Knight. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:

That's coz you're all class ninjadorg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:

That's coz you're all class ninjadorg

Hey, it's nice to get a pick me up on these forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for the witch hunter. Gives you an excuse to buy this guy from Avatars of War. So damn cool:

In fact, Avatars of War have some great models for replacing some of the official ones (some of which I thought looked a little rough - particularly the pit fighter).

BTW - I never played with him, but I understand the Chaos Warrior is incredibly random and probably not worth using in a campaign.

Nice idea with Gotrek and Felix though - and very easy to mod the existing rules to accomodate them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
BTW - I never played with him, but I understand the Chaos Warrior is incredibly random and probably not worth using in a campaign.

The Chaos Warrior is quite random, but that can be either an asset or a disadvantage depending on your tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Go for the witch hunter. Gives you an excuse to buy this guy from Avatars of War. So damn cool:

Holy crap. Wow, that figure is simply amazing. Better than the original witch hunter.

I agree. Buy this dude and print out the details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Huntington
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
I dunno what I meant by the best to be honest.

I guess I'm gonna get the troll slayer and the imperial noble. Basically I wanna do a few dungeon runs with Gotrek and Felix The imperial noble rules seem really lame, so I'm going to have him act more like a normal hero (Felix isn't the type to only shop at some snooty shop, quite the opposite infact) (snip)

Oh and if you have no clue who Gotrek and Felix are, shame on you, immediately go and buy the omnibus books its like WHQ the book! (sort of)

A neat idea, but don't pay money for the Trollslayer pack. The only difference between the pack and the rules in the back of the Roleplay Book is that the pack character comes with stonebread, for which there are already rules in the book. Of course it won't come with the token and cards, but it would give you a chance to try him out with no real expense other than the miniature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
I guess I'm gonna get the troll slayer and the imperial noble. Basically I wanna do a few dungeon runs with Gotrek and Felix

That's the spirit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Conway
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:

I guess I'm gonna get the troll slayer and the imperial noble. Basically I wanna do a few dungeon runs with Gotrek and Felix

That's a good attitude to take with WHQ. The vanilla game is so random, your "success" is going to be limited to whatever dice rolling you find more or less entertaining as you play!

Personally, I love the Ogre from the Citadel Journal. But mostly because it balances the extra D6 damage at 1st level with double the chance for random events. That rule alone got my group laughing.

The Chaos Warrior seems like a fun choice, but I found him too be far too random to be worthwhile. The biggest problems with him are that a) he can't use standard treasure b) his treasure chart has a disproportionately large ratio of armour to weapons and c) you're just as likely to end up with Toughness 3 and Initiative 7 as you are Strength 6 and 3 Attacks.

In my opinion, the 'best' or 'most powerful' expansion warrior is the Elf Ranger. Kit him/her out to be a 'wizard,' find a good enough weapon, and s/he'll roll over anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
Canonical wrote:
blunder1983 wrote:

That's a good attitude to take with WHQ. The vanilla game is so random, your "success" is going to be limited to whatever dice rolling you find more or less entertaining as you play!

Personally, I love the Ogre from the Citadel Journal. But mostly because it balances the extra D6 damage at 1st level with double the chance for random events. That rule alone got my group laughing.

The Chaos Warrior seems like a fun choice, but I found him too be far too random to be worthwhile. The biggest problems with him are that a) he can't use standard treasure b) his treasure chart has a disproportionately large ratio of armour to weapons and c) you're just as likely to end up with Toughness 3 and Initiative 7 as you are Strength 6 and 3 Attacks.

In my opinion, the 'best' or 'most powerful' expansion warrior is the Elf Ranger. Kit him/her out to be a 'wizard,' find a good enough weapon, and s/he'll roll over anything.

I'll have to disagree that the Elf Ranger is the most powerful Expansion Warrior. With the Pit Fighter doing 2D6 Damage by level 2 or 3 and pockets full of Heal-Itt Potions, you have a human Warrior who fights like an Ogre and regenerates like a Stone Troll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Conway
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Truthfully I've never played with the Pit Fighter. But the way you describe him does sound pretty OTT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Francis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey jus in response to the witch hunter model, if you want to play a witch hunter check out the one Games Workshop is releasing tomorrow as part of the empire re vamp. I have it on advance order cant wait,

though i would say that GW have painted it wrong. its far to brightly painted for a witch hunter.

Also in my mind two of the best characters to play are the Elf ranger Kight/Mage and the Bretonian Knight. Me and my friend played these two last campaign, though at times they may seem over powered they are incredibly easy to break. The Knight/Mage dynamic means that u risk ruining the character by getting the wrong skill, mine went through a few battle levels as a knight only to get more spells than skills and have to switch to mage. and the bretonian often found itself losing reknown, he eventually met his end by dying in a duel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Timtertay wrote:
Hey jus in response to the witch hunter model, if you want to play a witch hunter check out the one Games Workshop is releasing tomorrow as part of the empire re vamp. I have it on advance order cant wait,

though i would say that GW have painted it wrong. its far to brightly painted for a witch hunter.

Also in my mind two of the best characters to play are the Elf ranger Kight/Mage and the Bretonian Knight. Me and my friend played these two last campaign, though at times they may seem over powered they are incredibly easy to break. The Knight/Mage dynamic means that u risk ruining the character by getting the wrong skill, mine went through a few battle levels as a knight only to get more spells than skills and have to switch to mage. and the bretonian often found itself losing reknown, he eventually met his end by dying in a duel.

This guy. Not a fan - stupid big sword (nothing unusual for GW), and looks like a pirate crossed with Baron Munchausen. I won't even start on the number of bloody skulls!

Nothing about him really strikes me as being a Witch Hunter - he looks more like an adventuring noble or something. Better than the original Witch Hunter fig though.

(Will GW shoot me for posting this image, or will this post get removed for containing a GW image?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Francis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
just about the sword i thought it was a bit ridiculous for a witch hunter too but was pleasantly surprised when i got the model as it comes with another variation to put on the back that has a proper sabre and a second pistol on it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timtertay wrote:
just about the sword i thought it was a bit ridiculous for a witch hunter too but was pleasantly surprised when i got the model as it comes with another variation to put on the back that has a proper sabre and a second pistol on it

Any chance of a pic of the alternate baldric weaponry (painted or unpainted, assembled or unassebled, any way is good)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.