Here I Stand» Forums » Variants

Subject: French Home Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jożin Melcarek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmb
In my last game our group tried a house rule that changes French home card a lot - you can either play it to build chateau or declare war against power in control of Milan in the same way as DoW from 'Six Wives of Henry' - giving you not only DoW in action phase, but also 5 CP to spend.
It wasn't a gamebreaker, it's based on Frances historical involvement in north Italy and certainly helps Francis to recover faster after early bashing.

We also tend to use three other house rules, especially when not playing with new players:
1. independent keys in 1517 scenario start with two regulars, instead of just one.
2. 'Threat to Power' is added to the deck in turn 3
3. You get '-1 card' marker if you won't prosecute foreign war at least once, if played against you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bentley
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting use of the F home card. Building chateaux always seemed kind of boring and passive. It most definitely pales in comparison to sex or heretic burning!

I'd think the intent of alterations to a F home card(besides making it more interesting) should be to balance the serious threat that the E home card and his naval dominance often presents. Besides, if Milan falls to a foreign power a state of war will already exist between the power controlling Milan and F, so the action phase DoW lacks much punch.

The proposed variant would in the end seem to slightly increase threat to H (or maybe P) without threatening E so much since the latter is usually protected by the Channel and a hefty fleet. To that end how about something that actually made E vulnerable by threatening his usual naval dominance.

I'm thinking an Atlantic Storms card that somehow damages the English fleet. Let's say a 3, or even better, a 4CP card that grants the player 1d6. Result of 1-2 has no effect, 3-4 lose a boat, 5-6 lose two boats. This should be a normal event card, not a response. Response would be too powerful and allow E no chance to recover a lost naval dominance. Normal event denies the use of response, but still allows others coordinated play through negotiated use. This would provide a rarely used but important safety valve to sometimes unassailable E VP dominance. I'm thinking here of a similar safety valve as in Andrea Doria's second and rarely used event.

I've heard of variation on #3 and I believe VQ has some kind of penalty for non-prosecution of Foreign Wars. I like it. #2 seems random and without reason. I'm thinking someone got (either F or O, but probably F) really pissed at having his lieutenant sent packing and made a rule. #1 I think is whack. This would seriously alter the early game balance and make Florence a bridge too far, maybe even for a P with Bourbon. Effect at Metz would be less egregious, but could make the rare E move on Metz pretty much out of the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rievler wrote:
I believe VQ has some kind of penalty for non-prosecution of Foreign Wars.

Close--it's a -1 card penalty in the subsequent card draw phase for not successfully winning the war. That is, if you have terrible dice (or get lazy and don't try again after failing the first atttempt), you could prosecute it but not win by turn's end, and thus still incur the -1 card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santa_Klaus wrote:

3. You get '-1 card' marker if you won't prosecute foreign war at least once, if played against you.

Even if played after your last impulse? So you could have no chance to prosecute the war and lose a card on the next turn? That would make Foreign Wars much more powerful than they already are, and severely hamper only the powers that can get dragged into them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
agentzen wrote:
Even if played after your last impulse? So you could have no chance to prosecute the war and lose a card on the next turn? That would make Foreign Wars much more powerful than they already are, and severely hamper only the powers that can get dragged into them.

Yes, tough luck. (I don't think Foreign Wars are very scary in HIS. At least not the Ottoman ones.)

On the other hand, in VQ you may get War Winner VPs for winning a foreign war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Though only if the person playing the card on you chooses to put enough units on it (in other words it's only likely if you play it on yourself when the world is otherwise quiet)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the -1 rule for foreign wars, but my thought is to give the penalty if there is no ATTACK against a foreign war during the turn.

My favorite variant and the only one I think the game needs (besides the foreign war one) is that a player who GIVES a card away in trade can hold one or protect card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A better variant IMO would be to give the French player two CPs to spend after building the Chateau. If you think about it, 5CP=1VP isn't really a great ratio. The Pope can do that, plus he has lots of ways (Michelangelo, Indulgence Vendors, Knights of St. John, Tetzel) to boost his St. Peters. Also, Conquest is 4CP, where you are very likely to get two VPs and a card as Spain. I think this might balance the French Home Card a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.