Dries Van den Eynde
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dear gamers,
I have two questions on the church cards:

1) the first is on the Note in the English Rules:

it states:

A Church card is acquired when a player chooses it during the gift phase or wins it during the Auction phase. During the gift was, in other words, a Church card is NOT acquired when it is drawn, but when the active players keeps it for himself or when another player chooses if from the public space. A Church card placed in the Action pile is not played at that point.

What does it means that ..." or when another player chooses it from the public space"??

2) If you take a +2 church card, is it possible to increase on of the categories +1 and then chooses a categorie where the value is already 6 (thus in fact only increasing only one categorie?)

Thanks for the answers!

Regards,
Dries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one answer at least:

1. In the donation phase, the active player will put cards out for the other players to take. When one of the players takes the Church it activates.

2. I don't have an answer on this one, but I've yet to come across that scenario. I would say the answer is no, but hopefully the good Doctor Finn will appear and provide us an answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dries1965 wrote:
Dear gamers,
2) If you take a +2 church card, is it possible to increase on of the categories +1 and then chooses a categorie where the value is already 6 (thus in fact only increasing only one categorie?)

I have no idea. But if I had to make a house rule, I'd say no, since the directions state that you have to increase two dice, and that no die may be increased higher than six. I would rule that you can't "increase" a die that cannot be increased. If that makes any sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dries1965 wrote:
Dear gamers,

I would say that you could increase the one die to 6 but that you would not be able to increase another die +1 or go above the 6 (if that is what you were asking). So, in effect, it would be the same as playing only a +1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Executing an action of a church card is optional, not mandatory. Thus, with the +1 card you can choose to non-increase-any category, and with the +2 card you can increase either none-1-or 2 categories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
moorwild wrote:

Executing an action of a church card is optional, not mandatory. Thus, with the +1 card you can choose to non-increase-any category, and with the +2 card you can increase either none-1-or 2 categories.

Hmmm. Have I been playing this game incorrectly this whole time? I was playing that it was mandatory (and that if you had the two dice/+1 modifier card you had to use it on two different dice not already reading 6).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer confirmed it's optional here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/680721/question-on-churc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what drfinn said on the other thread:

drfinn wrote:
To confirm: the power of the church card can either be used or not used. If it is used, then it must be used to the full power. For example, if it a +1 with two dice on it, then you must raise 2 categories 1 point each. You could not just raise (at least according to the rules as I wrote them).

I interpret that to mean that if you if you have a card that allows you to increase two dice, you can either:

A) increase NO dice or
B) increase TWO dice.

There isn't away to use "half" the power of a card. All or nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, it's 0 or 2.

Not 1, not 1 and an illegal die. Picking a dice that can't be raised isn't raising it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule was intended to be: "you must raise two dice or none." I hadn't considered the option of "raising" a die already at 6, but if I had to rewrite the rule to be especially clear I would say that a die cannot be turned past 6, hence you must raise a different die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.