Mage Wars Arena» Forums » General

Subject: Mage wars vs Wiz-War rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
What's the difference?

the first game is all about Mages battling against each other while in Wiz-war it's just Wizards

Next they should do a Elf-wars or Dwarf-wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG! Isaac, your standards are getting lower and lower every day. Read some reviews Of Wiz-War (there are many), read the rulebook (we know you are not too good at it but you'll improve with practice) and read the description of Mage wars. Then you'll know the difference...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:
while in Wiz-war it's just Wizards

I"m pretty sure Wiz-War is when you see who can stand the furthest from the urinal and still be able to pee in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken F
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:

I"m pretty sure Wiz-War is when you see who can stand the furthest from the urinal and still be able to pee in it.

In Wiz-War keep in mind what Dr. Egon Spengler warns, "Don't cross the streams."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:

Nope, that's the Whizz-war variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
ROTFL at this thread laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ROTFL at this thread shake.

Corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Shaper
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Shouldn't that be "wetting my pants"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably say that there is more in common with Mage Wars and Summoner Wars than with Mage Wars and Wiz-War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asgelb wrote:
I'd probably say that there is more in common with Mage Wars and Summoner Wars than with Mage Wars and Wiz-War.

Agreed, and I'd be interested in any comparisons between Summoner Wars and Mage Wars if anyone has experience in both.

Both of those games are mainly a 2p dual, whereas Wiz-War is more commonly multiplayer and has a very different sort of win condition. You can get points by stealing treasure or eliminating other opponents, and fighting too much usually makes you lose. You're better off keeping your head down and playing your opponents off against each other or kill-stealing for the winning point.

Personally I don't like that sort of game, but if this is maybe a deeper version of Summoner Wars I'd be very interested in that. I do like Summoner Wars, but I often feel like it's the Lite version of the game I really want to play and I haven't found that game yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Schrader
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't you guys talking about "Don't Whiz on the Electric Fence?"

More than Wiz-War, this game is screaming comparison to Magic: The Gathering, from which I see heavy inspiration in the description, such as the seeming emphasis on assymetrical schools of magic. The mage classes even seem to be grouped into Green, Blue, Red/Black, and White.

The difference-slash-selling-point, and it is a good one, is bringing the creatures and spell effects out of the abstract and into a visual and tactically malleable presence. I acknowledge that Wiz-War has some of those elements, but that game always feels somewhat like a multiplayer puzzle to me, where you're introducing via spell new elements to the other players' puzzles. The combat was incidental, much of the time.
This sounds to me like an unmistakable game of combat, with the prima facie similar premise of throwing a few casters in an arena, which in my view, will play more like M:TG proper than base Wiz-War.

Just my two cents, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
asgelb wrote:

Agreed, and I'd be interested in any comparisons between Summoner Wars and Mage Wars if anyone has experience in both.

Personally I don't like that sort of game, but if this is maybe a deeper version of Summoner Wars I'd be very interested in that. I do like Summoner Wars, but I often feel like it's the Lite version of the game I really want to play and I haven't found that game yet.

Agree on both of your points. would love a side by side. I've really wanted to get into Summoner Wars, but will hold off until I see what this game has to offer...It just seems like it will have deeper, more meaningful choices.

Summoner Wars seems to be somewhat luck of the draw, and the dice. I hope this will give you more control in what you conjure, what spells, plus the tactical aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're at it, I would be interested to see a comparative review of this game and Master of Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bogle
United States
Belmont
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is quite different from Wiz Wars. Ive played both and I prefer the freedom that Mage Wars allows and Encourages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure it is, but I'd like to know more specifics

Anyway, I'm hoping to try the game at Gencon this summer so if no good comparative reviews go up by them I'll find my own answers and post something when I get back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randomness.

(Still haven't read anything about this game except I saw strategy mentioned and so I knew the answer.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.