Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Martin
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I recently picked up Dominion and my wife and I played several games of it over the weekend.

We both love it, and I was very happy to find another game that was a hit with my wife since her gaming tastes are far more discerning than my own. The fact that she handily beat me each and every game probably has something to do with her fondness for the game... shake

Anyway, I was just browsing through the forums here and I believe I came across something that we'd been playing incorrectly. I'm at work and so don't have the rulebook or cards handy, so forgive me if I get some of the wording wrong but here goes:

The "Mine" card states you may trash a treasure card from your hand and gain a treasure card valued up to three more than the card you trashed. I had been using this to trash coppers in exchange for golds. HOWEVER, while reading some threads here on BGG it seems that you are supposed to trash copper for silver, and silver for gold.

I'm confused on this because the Mine card states you can exchange for a treasure worth "up to three more". A copper is worth 1, a silver worth 2, and a gold worth 3. That being said, if a copper is worth 1 (but can be trashed for something worth 3 more, so 1+3=4 which is MORE than a gold is worth since gold has value of 3, then why does it seem that everybody on here trashes copper for silver and then later silver for gold instead of just swapping crappy copper for wonderful gold!)

I'm doing something wrong here....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Worth up to 3 more" refers to the cost of the treasure card, not its value when played.

*edit*
Actually, the card text reads:
Mine wrote:
Trash a Treasure card from your hand. Gain a Treasure card costing up to 3 Coins more; put it into your hand.

(emphasis mine)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Anderson
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What the Mine card means is that you can gain a treasure card worth up to three more in cost, not in value. The copper costs 0, the silver costs 3, and the gold costs 6. Therefore, you can only move from copper to silver or silver to gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markjanderson86 wrote:
What the Mine card means is that you can gain a treasure card worth up to three more in cost, not in value. The copper costs 10, the silver costs 3, and the gold costs 6. Therefore, you can only move from copper to silver or silver to gold.

FTFY.

There are some other options... gold to platinum, potion to gold, and various others using treasures that may belong to the plateau of kingdom cards -- but you get the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful with the word "can." When playing Mine, you must trash a Treasure, if able, and you must gain a Treasure costing up to 3 coins more. It is the cost that matters, not the value that it generates when you play it. It may sound weird to word it that way, but there are other Treasure cards available in the expansions that can be trashed or gained by Mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Martin
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
modest

Wow that was fast! Thanks everybody!

Not sure how on Earth I missed that! blush

EDIT: Of course now, my wife will beat me even worse since it was primarily myself that was guilty of these "copper for gold" shenanigans! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Beer Ogre wrote:
modest

Wow that was fast! Thanks everybody!

Not sure how on Earth I missed that! blush

EDIT: Of course now, my wife will beat me even worse since it was primarily myself that was guilty of these "copper for gold" shenanigans! whistle

Asking a rules question on the Dominion forums is like shooting the starting gun at a horse race!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
piotr s
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can also change gold to coper
1/1000 games it makes sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
piotrsmu wrote:

King's court + coppersmith shenanigans? If you had played coppersmith at least 3 times, it could make sense.

The general point, that "up to" includes costs below that of the original card, is pretty fair. Maybe you could turn a contraband into a fool's gold later on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van Bussel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunna wrote:
piotrsmu wrote:

King's court + coppersmith shenanigans? If you had played coppersmith at least 3 times, it could make sense.

The general point, that "up to" includes costs below that of the original card, is pretty fair. Maybe you could turn a contraband into a fool's gold later on.

Nope, not coppersmith. Either multiple bridges or highways will do this trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
RenevB wrote:

Bridges/Highways make Copper --> Gold legal. This is about making Gold --> Copper sensible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van Bussel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
RenevB wrote:

Bridges/Highways make Copper --> Gold legal. This is about making Gold --> Copper sensible.

Oops. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've Changed Silver to Copper. No way to trash cards but Mine and Moneylender. I had too many Treasure cards at some point for my liking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Pseudonym
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
piotrsmu wrote:

Hmm... Maybe a mutual Possession game where you're trying to junk your own deck as much as possible? Mountebank game where you can end the game while ahead if you gain the penultimate copper and buy the last copper?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axxle wrote:
piotrsmu wrote:

Hmm... Maybe a mutual Possession game where you're trying to junk your own deck as much as possible? Mountebank game where you can end the game while ahead if you gain the penultimate copper and buy the last copper?

I think more likely (though still not very likely) is wanting to make your Fairgrounds worth more points.

Or (way less likely) you have a whole lot of money and 2 buys. There's 1 Province left, and no Duchies left. You need 9 points to win. You want to buy a Province and Farmland, and trash a Copper for an Estate, so you need to Mine an extra Gold into a Copper just to get a Copper in hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kaufman
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
I don't think I would ever downgrade money in the game. Coppers are rather annoying for my taste. Even with coppersmiths.

If you play with prosperity, mining a Gold to a Platinum is a beautiful thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.