Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
This past weekend I got together with some old friends from college. We were able to get in three games of Eclipse. Everyone thought the game was great.

1st Game
3 Players
Races: all Humans
Time ~ 3 Hours

Highlights we all had a slow start as we figured out the game system.
Lots of mistakes and poor play. Everyone was also a little timid.

Final Scores were 28-20-15.

2nd Game
3 Players
Time ~ 2 Hours

We had figured things out a lot more. We had our fist PvP combat. Economies were much more efficient.

Final Scores were 28-26-24

3rd Game
4 players
Time ~ 3 Hours

We had newbie, but he got up to speed faster than we did in game 1. A lot more PvP combat in this game. This first game were the player holding the middle sector didn't win.

Final Scores were 30-27-27-22

Thoughts:

1) Great Game - Everyone loved this game.
2) Learning Curve - There is a learning curve to this game. It was nice that we all played the same number of games. I think the more experienced player will often win. This could discourage newbies if not given a lot of help.
3) Discovery tiles are great. In our final game I had 3 ancient hexes, and 2 empty hexes in my area of space. For turns 1-4 I only had 2 hexes, but I was able to win the game thanks to defeating the ancients and getting reputation and discover vps.
4) The influence action is very important. In the last game I used it early to clear out my empty sectors and then put control back on the last turn. Knowing when to abandon/recapture systems seems to be crucial for good play.
5) I believe that it is important to be flexible in this game. Take what the tiles give you and adjust your strategy as you need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. You guys showed great restrain playing humans all 3 times. I recently introduced the game to 3 dental school friends, who loved the game, and wanted to try all aliens the next time we play.

And I agree, the more you play, the more efficient you are with the influence action. The influence action has become very valuable to me, and I think it is still underused in my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice report. I think that you guys played it smart. Ubergamers who grasp the game very well can play an alien decently after one game, but I think you learn more playing humans and their flexibility lets you recover from sub-optimal play very well. I still like to play with humans, because once you have the game down you appreciate their flexibility even more (and that 3 move *GRIN*).

Check out Vassel, I am always looking for good gamers to play with.

youperguy wrote:

4) The influence action is very important. In the last game I used it early to clear out my empty sectors and then put control back on the last turn. Knowing when to abandon/recapture systems seems to be crucial for good play.

This is really a subsection of influence management, often you can remove disks through "bankruptcy/deficit spending" and having the disks even at the end of the game can often get you more victory points than retaking those 1VP worlds (buying a tech can often get you 1 VP for 1 action, combat that you win can get you much more, being able to do a build/move/upgrade to better defend a hex can save you more as well). Retaking hexes often worth only 1VP costs you 1 action per hex (up to 2) + 1 action and the resetting colony ships doesn't usually help much in the last turn once you get good at squeezing the most of the game's economy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.