Subject: Don't try this at home... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

OK, so we love Court of the Medici and play it a lot. It was a present from Secret Santa and is surprisingly deep and vicious despite being quick to set up and the games being fairly short. We play it most weekends when we are together so you would think we'd know how to play it by now wouldn't you...?

Out comes the box and my other half says, "Shuffle these will ya..." and without thinking I start shuffling just too late to catch, "But you might want to separate them first!" So, rather than sort them all out we decided to play from the mixed deck, the idea being that it might add an interesting twist playing your opponent's cards and placing them in unfavourable ways.

So we started out with four inner circle cards of each colour as usual but with a mixed hand and a single mixed draw deck, otherwise playing by the usual rules. Within a few draws we both decided we didn't like it and, although we played it out we next time we'd sort the cards.

I think what we didn't realise in advance is just how much we subconsciously card count and how important that is to the game. So in this variant, you have the ability to get a much less varied hand (i.e. the same cards can come up, but now you can get them in both colours) and you can't guarantee you will get your share of the important small cards or the special cards. Now we don't mind random, but this element of randomness in this game was *not* an improvement.

Not recommended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Roth
Spain
Barcelona
Catalunya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting!

The other day something similar (yet untried) occurred to me:

Give both players ONLY the opponent's cards, and then the objective would be to play them as badly as possible. devil

That's probably less random than what you tried.

Another idea to reduce the chaos would be to give each player their own duke plus a complete set of cards (0-10 and X) of each colour.

I must try out all those variants soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.