Popular Tags: [View All]
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've played this game twice now, once with six players and once with two.

In the two player game, we had a card come to the front of the market in the first round of play, and it was a card neither of us wanted. Nor did it have an event. I don't remember the name of the card, but it was the Conquistador that allows you to spend two doubloons to initiate a particular event.

In any case, that card sat at the front of the market the whole game and we never had any events at all. Is this what is supposed to happen? Is there any additional incentive to take unwanted cards from the market?

Maybe add a coin to the first card for each round it isn't taken, or remove it from play and shift the others forward if it isn't chosen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can think of only one reason to buy a card you don't need, and that is to triggers events that don't bother you. For instance, if you are trying to get the complete set of 10 different resource cards, you want 'the natives' to give you more time. Or 'storm' if other players have more boats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Bosco312 wrote:
In any case, that card sat at the front of the market the whole game and we never had any events at all. Is this what is supposed to happen? Is there any additional incentive to take unwanted cards from the market?

Yes, that is supposed to happen; no, no additional incentive.

Quote:
Maybe add a coin to the first card for each round it isn't taken, or remove it from play and shift the others forward if it isn't chosen?

Isn't the fact that you need to come up with better and more expensive card combinations to get the other cards incentive enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
Isn't the fact that you need to come up with better and more expensive card combinations to get the other cards incentive enough?

As it turns out...no. There was maybe one time during the game where I had to spend an Inca relic with my three basic cards to get beyond that first market card, but in that case, I wanted the card I got (higher in the market) more than I wanted that first card. It could have been luck of the draw or not having to deal with any events myself, but getting the other cards in the market was never an issue. In fact the game was won by getting goods 1-9 and the Inca relic in both the six and the two player game. Players gold at the time the game ended was ~30-35 average in both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
I have never seen the perfect combination victory appearing: only once a player claimed to be one card short. It is tricky to pull off, so twice in two games... That's a lot. Not meaning this disrespectfully, but are you, to your knowledge, 'playing by the book' so to speak?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen the perfect combination victory three times now, and the other games there was always someone pretty close to it.

So someone reaching it when other players still have only 35 dubloons is suspicious.

Bosco312, are you remembering to throw away all your resource cards at the end of each round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
I have never seen the perfect combination victory appearing: only once a player claimed to be one card short. It is tricky to pull off, so twice in two games... That's a lot. Not meaning this disrespectfully, but are you, to your knowledge, 'playing by the book' so to speak?

To the best of my knowledge we are. The in the six player game the person who got the perfect hand used several warehouses.

In the two player game, the winner got the perfect hand by using two of her three Conquistadors to convert one good to another. So was able to take a couple of duplicate goods and use them as other goods to complete the hand. She got the extra cards mainly through caravels instead of warehouses.

Wyckyd wrote:
I've seen the perfect combination victory three times now, and the other games there was always someone pretty close to it.

So someone reaching it when other players still have only 35 dubloons is suspicious.

Bosco312, are you remembering to throw away all your resource cards at the end of each round?

Yes, but I don't think any of the 'losers' of our games were expecting the winners to have so many of the right cards so quickly and were focusing on buying more cards from the market rather than trading goods for coins.

I really like this game and can't wait to play again. I'll win at some point, but even if I don't, the fact that I want to go back and try again is a good indication that I'm having fun.

I think the lack of events in the second game was the only thing in the game that felt 'flat' (for lack of a better word). I doubt the same situation will come up very often, and if it does, or if I had that game to play over again, I'd buy the card just to get events flowing. They may inhibit me a bit, but it seems I need to slow the other players down too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nichola viggiano
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:

I think it is a matter on how players set their strategy, since I won already with the "perfect" combination (with only one space warehouse, in a 5 player game). You may choose not bothering with the Development cards and go for doubloons; or you may set the right combination first and then go for the money. There are some issues, IMPOV, but they are all minor. In a 2 player game, things may go little fast but with minor challenges. With more players, (or any number), I suggest the Merchants don't allow changes for the Perfect Combination, only for the progression step. Doing this, the game would go until almost the 75 doubloon limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.