Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: sound_effects_are_free [+] [View All]
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was first playing wargames in high school, some of us had developed a well-known repetoire of sound effects we would make when playing some of our favorite games. Here is a sampling:

"Whoosh--Gerschplott!" (The sound of a panzerfaust or bazooka finding it's mark)

"Tschk, tschk, tschk, tschk..." (The sound of German panzers tiptoeing through the Ardennes, be it in 1940 or 1944)

"Clankety, clankety, clankety, clank!" (The sound of Italian armor moving at the speed of slugs in AH's Tobruk: Tank Battles in North Africa 1942 game. Often the same noises were made when British Matildas were moved as well)

"[almost kazoo-like horse race bugle call]" (the sound of some sort of upcoming cavalry charge that was about to be launched on a Civil War or Napoleonic War battlefield)

"Gott im Himmel!" (The sound of some Nazi German unit biting the dust after receiving a particular vicious attack in PanzerBlitz or Panzer Leader

"Ka-shink!" (Supposed to be the sound of a spoon flying off a grenade when a soldier counter throws one in Sniper! (first edition))

"[various humming of Richard Rogers tunes from VICTORY AT SEA]" (sounded when doing something particularly devious on the other side of the screen in Avalon Hill's old Midway game; was eventually ported over into Victory in the Pacific)

"Slooooosh....slooooshhhhh....slllloooooooooosssssshhhhhh" (a spread of torpedoes being launched in any naval game that features them)

"Schinnnggg, schinnnnggg, schinnngggg..." then "schinnggg-boing!"...then "fooofffff...blub, blub, blub... BOOOMMMM! BOOOMMM!" (the sounds of active sonar by a destroyer, then a positive contact on a U-boat, then the sounds of depth chargers lauching, then exploding, in Battleline's/AH's Submarine--SPI fans can feel free to substitute Up Scope!)

"[four-year old-style aircraft buzzing noises]" (often used in Air Force and Dauntless games)

"kkhhggghh--kkhhhggghhh--kkhhhggghhh..." (the sharp staccato retort of a machinegun concludes with the assertiveness of death itself that this time Kruger was wrong....)

"Ack-Ack-Ack-Ack!" (Sound of AA guns against aircraft or of WW I aircraft machine guns being used against each other. The ocasional "Curse you, Red Baron!" and Snoopyisms often accompany the sound effect.)

"[soft gurgling strangling scream noises]" (typically made when rolling boxcars during a morale check in Squad Leader or when a commissar shoots his own troops in Advanced Squad Leader)

"[raspberries sound]" (when a particularly devasting attack fizzles due to a rotten die roll)

"Doink!" (when rolling boxcars on an Ordnance TO HIT roll in Advanced Squad Leader, signifying a Dud)

"Ping, Ping, Ping, PING, ping...ping!" (when attempting a Deliberate Immobilization using too small caliber Ordnance or machine guns against a hulking AFV in ASL--and missing the shot)

"RRRROOOAAAARRRR!!!! RRRAAAAAHHHH!!!!! [with the best Howard Dean inflections] AND THE MASSES ARE CHEERING!" (used when troops seemingly shake off a devastating attack through an unlikely saving or morale roll)

Someday, the virtual online gaming systems--particularly those allowing for synchronous play, like VASSAL, will provide a way to virtually generate such sound effects rather than depending on the players to generate them themselves over iChat, FaceTime, or Skype.... (hear me, Rod Kinney??)

What were/are some of your favorite F2F wargaming sound effects?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Macc
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing navel miniatures and facing the Japanese, one particular ship would always produce the statement "Its a Kitakami sink it!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When an opponent's armor penetration roll misses—especially from a 75L or better—and double-especially on a lighter AFV—I like to call out:

"SKLANNGGG!!!"

Or if a powerful salvo from an enemy battleship is a big whiff, I also like to call:

"ZHZHZHzhzhzh.....KER-SPLOOOOSSSSHHHH!!!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wintz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
BBPHLAAAAT!!

The sound of individual soldiers filling their pants when facing overwhelming odds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a Warhammer 40,000 player, but I know a bunch of 'em. That game, particularly, tends to bring out sound effects in players. Particularly Ork players, who tend to shout, "Waaaaagh!!!" and "Dakka Dakka Dakka!" quite a bit.

I've always been good for a "Clang!" or "Fwip! Fwip! Fwip!" when an opponent generates a miss myself. And a good raspberry works well when you activate a heavy machine gun at a bunch of enemy infantry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

"____!... I rolled a (1) again?!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soft "Pooom" followed by a gradually louder "Shhhhuuuuuuuu" followed by a loud "Boooom" suffices for naval guns at targets on shore.

"Tchuck, Tchuck, Tchuck, Tchuck, Tchuck," with even spaces between the words works well for WWI era machine guns (the "T" sound makes the effect).

"Tut, tut-tut, tut-tut-tut-tut,tut,tut" works for sporadic rifle fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like those those excellent .wav files that come with HPS Sims games. Very high quality and LOUD!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
ericmwalters wrote:

Mostly obscenities!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
Loud humming noises when playing B-17: Queen of the Skies
and broken German U-boat commands in U-Boat Leader all by myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I pissed off a guy once playing Siege of Jerusalem with my sound effects.

As the Towers wheeled up against the walls - "weee wuuu weee wuuu weee wuuu" was uttered from my vocals cords.

=================

And then we played World in Flames and I sang a song as I attacked France and then Paris - a variation of "Tea Cup"; went something like this:

I'm a little despot,

Big and Bad,

Here are my tanks,

Here are my planes

When they all get lined up

Hear me shout,

Taking Paris Over, through the French out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Airfix Rules anyone?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
I pissed off a guy once playing Siege of Jerusalem with my sound effects.

As the Towers wheeled up against the walls - "weee wuuu weee wuuu weee wuuu" was uttered from my vocals cords.

This really made me laugh, thank you for that.

To be fair there is quite a bit of hanging around waiting for your opponent to complete his turn in this game, so whatever works.

I have a friend who plays Axis & Allies with the full range of noises, but only when he's winning. When he's losing he gets on the floor and chews the carpet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
You are welcome;

I try to keep it all changed up. My favorite new sound is "Pok Pok Pok" - good for small calibre AAA and slow firing aircraft cannon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Pausch
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BANG!...BANG!BANG!BANG!-Katchink!

Soldier rapidly firing his M1 Garand and finally ejecting the clip after the last round.

DRRRETCHIUu!

Short MG42 burst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines, and Targets.
mbmbmbmbmb
ericmwalters wrote:
"Schinnnggg, schinnnnggg, schinnngggg..." then "schinnggg-boing!"...then "fooofffff...blub, blub, blub... BOOOMMMM! BOOOMMM!" (the sounds of active sonar by a destroyer, then a positive contact on a U-boat, then the sounds of depth chargers lauching, then exploding, in Battleline's/AH's Submarine--SPI fans can feel free to substitute Up Scope!)

Hey, I have been there and done that, and it doesn't sound anything like that. Sounds more like...somewhat similar to...sort of...oh never mind. Good enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb

I have a friend that always makes a "whoosh, whoosh, whoosh" noise when his archers roll in Avalon Hill's Robin Hood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpr755 wrote:
ericmwalters wrote:

Hey, I have been there and done that, and it doesn't sound anything like that. Sounds more like...somewhat similar to...sort of...oh never mind. Good enough!

What about the "paaa-ching" when the rivets pop? Hey, I saw it in Das Boot, so I'm sure it's true. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I always found those sound effects kinda annoying,
but I'd cut loose a fart when releasing gas warfare
in WWI games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
ericmwalters wrote:

The sound of a beercan opening. A beer bottle will suffice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
ericmwalters wrote:

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
ericmwalters wrote:

Hey, I cry "Foul!" The sound of a beer bottle opening is not exclusive to wargames. The Beer Game

is listed as a party/action/dexterity/travel game, but NOT as a wargame.

You know the saying, "Make beer, not war."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was 17 I drank some very good beer! - Homer Simpson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericmwalters wrote:
When I was first playing wargames in high school, some of us had developed a well-known repetoire of sound effects we would make when playing some of our favorite games. Here is a sampling:

"Whoosh--Gerschplott!" (The sound of a panzerfaust or bazooka finding it's mark)

"Tschk, tschk, tschk, tschk..." (The sound of German panzers tiptoeing through the Ardennes, be it in 1940 or 1944)
tinka,tinka,tink,( think of cartoon tiptoe sounds

Quote:
"Clankety, clankety, clankety, clank!" (The sound of Italian armor moving at the speed of slugs in AH's Tobruk: Tank Battles in North Africa 1942 game. Often the same noises were made when British Matildas were moved as well)
same noise for most tanks except the tiger. Tigers get Ride of the Valkyries, sometimes with the words "Kill the wabbit, Kill the wabbit"

Quote:
"[rasberries]" (the sound of some sort of upcoming cavalry charge that was about to be launched on a Civil War or Napoleonic War battlefield)
either "Charge" or "Garry Owen" is whistled or hummed

Quote:
"Gott im Himmel!" (The sound of some Nazi German unit biting the dust after receiving a particular vicious attack in PanzerBlitz or Panzer Leader

"Ka-shink!" (Supposed to be the sound of a spoon flying off a grenade when a soldier counter throws one in Sniper! (first edition))

"[various humming of Richard Rogers tunes from VICTORY AT SEA]" (sounded when doing something particularly devious on the other side of the screen in Avalon Hill's old Midway game; was eventually ported over into Victory in the Pacific)

"Slooooosh....slooooshhhhh....slllloooooooooosssssshhhhhh" (a spread of torpedoes being launched in any naval game that features them)

"[four-year old-style aircraft buzzing noises]" (often used in Air Force and Dauntless games)
same

Quote:
"kkhhggghh--kkhhhggghhh--kkhhhggghhh..." (the sharp staccato retort of a machinegun concludes with the assertiveness of death itself that this time Kruger was wrong....)
"zeedee deedee dow" coined while under heavy MG fire in ASL

Quote:
"Ack-Ack-Ack-Ack!" (Sound of AA guns against aircraft or of WW I aircraft machine guns being used against each other. The ocasional "Curse you, Red Baron!" and Snoopyisms often accompany the sound effect.)
takka takka takka (stolen from the movie Battle of Britain)

Quote:
"[soft gurgling strangling scream noises]" (typically made when rolling boxcars during a morale check in Squad Leader or when a commissar shoots his own troops in Advanced Squad Leader)

"[raspberries sound]" (when a particularly devasting attack fizzles due to a rotten die roll)
The noise made on the old arcade pac-man game when your pac-man died.

Quote:
"Doink!" (when rolling boxcars on an Ordnance TO HIT roll in Advanced Squad Leader, signifying a Dud)
Click... Oh $%!#

Quote:
"Ping, Ping, Ping, PING, ping...ping!" (when attempting a Deliberate Immobilization using too small caliber Ordnance or machine guns against a hulking AFV in ASL--and missing the shot)

"RRRROOOAAAARRRR!!!! RRRAAAAAHHHH!!!!! [with the best Howard Dean inflections] AND THE MASSES ARE CHEERING!" (used when troops seemingly shake off a devastating attack through an unlikely saving or morale roll)

Someday, the virtual online gaming systems--particularly those allowing for synchronous play, like VASSAL, will provide a way to virtually generate such sound effects rather than depending on the players to generate them themselves over iChat, FaceTime, or Skype.... (hear me, Rod Kinney??)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
"whoosh!" - a panzerfaust missing
"crackle crackle!" - something burning to death
"boom!" - the main armament fires
"clang!" - a hit on an AFV fails to kill
"splat!" - a 2KIA or better on a Single Man Counter; overkill
"oorah!" - a human wave attack
"run away!" - routing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm flabbergasted, I thought these sound effects were only ever used when playing Memoir '44, Tide of Iron and other games with little green men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.