Popular Tags: [View All]
Elaine Lai
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it legal to convert a yellow dice into a red dice with the "Militia" to put your citizen in the palace? Somewhat I remember have read about you're not allowed to use card-altered dice to place a citizen. But I cannot find the rule nor the discussion on the forum. Thanks in advance for clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why not.

The cube-modified dice you can't use for stuff are specifically listed in the rules for the activity cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may. Some card descriptions prohibit doing this with other cards, but there is no such text on militia. The consensus seems to be pretty much in favor of this as correct.

The same question can be asked of Monk. I feel that one is still unresolved because of Monk turning 1 die into 3, and the limitation that only 1 die may be placed on the principal buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
You may. Some card descriptions prohibit doing this with other cards, but there is no such text on militia. The consensus seems to be pretty much in favor of this as correct.

The same question can be asked of Monk. I feel that one is still unresolved because of Monk turning 1 die into 3, and the limitation that only 1 die may be placed on the principal buildings.

From the Troyes rules:
Quote:
Unlike the other actions, you always use exactly one die to place a citizen on one of the principal buildings

I take this to mean that you can take only one die that is available for use in the central square area, not any "extra" dice or pips that are effectively gained through activation of the activity cards. But I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think the case is crystal clear with regard to Monk: 3 dice is not "exactly one die", and that's that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Rhodes
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
If I have three yellow dice, and I convert them to red with militia, and I use one of the red dice to place in the palace, do I have two red dice left over to use in the next turn?

The lack of a specified method to mark this conversion in the game leads me to believe the designers' intent was not to allow this use of converted dice, even in the case of militia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speusippus wrote:
If I have three yellow dice, and I convert them to red with militia, and I use one of the red dice to place in the palace, do I have two red dice left over to use in the next turn?

The lack of a specified method to mark this conversion in the game leads me to believe the designers' intent was not to allow this use of converted dice, even in the case of militia.

Also No. If you make a group of 3 dice, it remains a group of 3 dice. You can't regroup (you can only form one group, which you already did) and put one in the palace and save two. Only being able to make one "group" prevents you from ever saving them.

This is the reason the militia works for the purpose of placing in the principal building and not the monk. You can convert exactly one yellow to exactly one red and place in the palace with militia. You convert one white to 3 yellow with monk, so you don't have a group that is exactly 1.

So if you formed a group of 3 yellows and converted them to 3 reds, you now have a group of 3 reds that you cannot regroup and therefore do not meet the "exactly one" requirement of placing in a principal building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Rhodes
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
I see--you guys are saying you can use it to place only if you convert only a single die.

That's consistent, but I do think that on purely pragmatic grounds, the rule ought to be just that no converted dice can be used for placement. It's a simple rule, easy to remember, and doesn't seem to detract from gameplay as far as I can see. (It does remove one option from gameplay, but just having more options isn't always a good thing in game design.)

That's the way I'd houserule it, anyway.

(Is "no regrouping" contained in the rules, or a designer comment?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speusippus wrote:
(Is "no regrouping" contained in the rules, or a designer comment?)

A group of dice is something you form specifically to assign to the single action you are performing on your turn. The idea of "regrouping" is simply nowhere present or even hinted at in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.