Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jan w
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a hard time playing the first game here... typing and searching as we go...

1) Can a house have several elite guards? I mean, you've pulled a gong, you beat him only to draw another gong. Do you do the whole draw and flip to red thing again to have a second red?

2) When do you face an elite? If someone flipped a red but left the house and you come after, to face a sentry with two treasures: one red, one white. After facing the sentry, do you face the elite?

3) How many modifiers can you play? How many 3/+-1's can you add to playing a dojo card?

4) When do you face an elite? Right after the sentry came up, or when the last treasure remaining is red?

5) Can you always banzai the first guard? you always leave with at least one trophy so why not try?

6) When drawing dojo cards, can you look at them one by one?

7) When scoring, and there are no rumor cards face up, can you choose to draw a rumor card from the face down stack?

8) Do rumor cards count themselves as well? The rumor card that multiplies the rumor cards?

2AM -_-;

am i the only one who feels that the rules are somewhat... unnatural?
Sorry if these questions have already been asked, but I haven't found them yet or I'm still confused -_-;;;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kronik wrote:
Having a hard time playing the first game here... typing and searching as we go...

1) Can a house have several elite guards? I mean, you've pulled a gong, you beat him only to draw another gong. Do you do the whole draw and flip to red thing again to have a second red?

Yes, that's right.

kronik wrote:
2) When do you face an elite? If someone flipped a red but left the house and you come after, to face a sentry with two treasures: one red, one white. After facing the sentry, do you face the elite?

Yes. When trying for the second (red) treasure you face an elite guard.

kronik wrote:
3) How many modifiers can you play? How many 3/+-1's can you add to playing a dojo card?

IIRC, there is no limit.

kronik wrote:
4) When do you face an elite? Right after the sentry came up, or when the last treasure remaining is red?

When you get to a red treasure.

kronik wrote:
5) Can you always banzai the first guard? you always leave with at least one trophy so why not try?

There is never a reason to not try for a second treasure.

kronik wrote:
6) When drawing dojo cards, can you look at them one by one?

Yes, that's fine.

kronik wrote:
7) When scoring, and there are no rumor cards face up, can you choose to draw a rumor card from the face down stack?

This shouldn't be possible; at most three people take points and three take Rumors. Did you forget to refill the Rumors before and after scoring?

kronik wrote:
8) Do rumor cards count themselves as well? The rumor card that multiplies the rumor cards?

Yes, they count themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kronik wrote:

I thought the rules were very clear. Certainly a lot better than those for other games released at around the same time - Ora et Labora and Panic Station, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan w
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the answers!

as for the rules, yes they are well written, but I somehow found the rules themselves to be counter-intuitive at times... maybe it's just me then

oh and one last question, just to be absolutely clear: with several red tokens come several elite guards??

thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kronik wrote:
oh and one last question, just to be absolutely clear: with several red tokens come several elite guards??

For each treasure, you fight either a regular guard or an elite (if the treasure is 'red'). Of course fighting an elite may involved fighting two guards (or just one difficult guard) - that's the risk you take.

So, if there are two red treasures left in the house, you could fight anything between 2 and 4 guards (as shown on the next 2 cards) in order to clear the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
geocentrix wrote:
kronik wrote:

I thought the rules were very clear. Certainly a lot better than those for other games released at around the same time - Ora et Labora and Panic Station, for example.

I second that. Ninjato has one of the best-written rulebooks in recent years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aautio wrote:
geocentrix wrote:
kronik wrote:

But be sure to read the examples and such in boxes near the margins. In some cases, the only reference to a rule is found there (rather than in the paragraph text).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
aautio wrote:
geocentrix wrote:
kronik wrote:

But be sure to read the examples and such in boxes near the margins. In some cases, the only reference to a rule is found there (rather than in the paragraph text).

True. There are also a couple clarifications we've come across on here that would be great to maybe include/tweak in future printings maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan w
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkeyman wrote:
iNano78 wrote:
aautio wrote:
geocentrix wrote:
kronik wrote:

True. There are also a couple clarifications we've come across on here that would be great to maybe include/tweak in future printings maybe.

There's several ruls that appear simply as a by-line. Some emphasis would have helped.

Thank you all for clarifying these rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Maxcy
United States
Lexington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Monkeyman wrote:

kronik wrote:

Not sure if this is in the rules or just our house rule, but we "penalize" a player that fails to defeat a guard by forcing them to discard a dojo card or flip a "card yielding" skill when they flee. This adds a little more risk/reward in calling banzai when it's unlikely you'll defeat the next guard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arcnarenth wrote:

Monkeyman wrote:

kronik wrote:

Not sure if this is in the rules or just our house rule, but we "penalize" a player that fails to defeat a guard by forcing them to discard a dojo card or flip a "card yielding" skill when they flee. This adds a little more risk/reward in calling banzai when it's unlikely you'll defeat the next guard.

That's definitely a house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.