Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ox tattoo versus spell of binding rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Glauser

Fillmore
California
msg tools
I have base game plus WOD. I grabbed a group with the spell of binding. One player with the ox tattoo claimed immunity to web.

Since the player is my wife, I agreed. But I'm looking for a ruling here. Does ox tattoo cancel the spell of binding?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stegner
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but they are immune to the web so same difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Um. If it were me, I would probably rule that Ox Tattoo protects her from the Spell of Binding, because I think that was probably the designers' intent, it's hardly going to disrupt the balance of the game, and Ox Tattoo is pretty situational anyway.

But technically, if you want to get really rules-lawyery, that's not quite what the card says...

Because there's technically two things in the game called "web". There's "web tokens" (p. 16), which prevent figures from moving. Then there's a special ability called Web, described on page 23, which allows an attacker to place a web token on the target of an attack.

Rules page 23 wrote:
After inflicting at least 1 damage (before applying the effects of armor) to a figure with a Web attack, place a web token next to that figure. A figure can have more than one web token next to it at a time.

Notice how the description of the ability makes a distinction between a "Web attack" (bold, capitalized) and a "web token".

Ox Tattoo doesn't make you immune to "web tokens", it makes you immune to "Web", the ability. But Spell of Binding doesn't refer to the Web ability, it just says to place "web tokens".

You'll even notice that the Fire Runes trap card explicitly excludes figures that are immune to the corresponding ability:
Fire Runes wrote:
Any figures underneath the breath template suffer 4 wounds (ignoring armor) and gain 2 burn tokens (unless immune to Burn).

...which seems to show that the designers acknowledged and were paying attention to this distinction, at least when they wrote this particular card.

So one could plausibly argue that any cards that place effect tokens but don't explicitly grant a similar exemption are meant to bypass immunities like the ones on Ox Tattoo.

I personally don't believe the designers are nearly that subtle or consistent, but the argument is there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sespe wrote:
I have base game plus WOD. I grabbed a group with the spell of binding. One player with the ox tattoo claimed immunity to web.

Since the player is my wife, I agreed. But I'm looking for a ruling here. Does ox tattoo cancel the spell of binding?

Spell of Binding
Play at the start of your turn and target one space. All figures that are within 3 spaces and have line of sight to that space immediately gain 1 web token

Ox Tattoo
You are immune to Daze, Grapple, Knockback, Stun, and Web.

The Ox Tattoo does not cancel the Spell of Binding. The spell still goes off and places web tokens. But web tokens on the hero with Ox Tattoo simply don't do anything (you may as well removes them). That is what immune means.

Edit: What Antistone said, except just to strengthen the case for ignore web tokens as well as 'web' (ability), the rule book actually has a section called 'Web' (pg16) that references physical webs, not the ability Web.
A figure that has been caught in a web is marked with a web token.
It could be argued that this is the 'web' Ox Tattoo is talking about and that this includes Spell of Binding effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.