Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Memoir '44» Forums » General

Subject: Dust Tactics or any of the Richard Borg Commands & Colors variants? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

I am a latecomer and am trying to decide on whether it makes more sense to invest in DT or in one of the C&C variants (Ancients, Napoleonics, Memoir '44, or Battlelore).

I know they are different, I also know this is the M44 Forum so I am posting the same question on the DT forum in an effort to get some good feedback.

If you were to invest in one set plus expansions which direction would you choose and why? Assume you didn't have to deal with out of print problems.

If your answer is a C&C variant, I'd love to hear the reasons you prefer the selected theme (M44, C&C: A, C&C N, Battlelore) over the others...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
C&CN, but that's mainly because it is the newest and will be the easiest to collect all the expansions as they are printed. Otherwise whatever theme or setting you like best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, like I mentioned, I don't want the OOP risk to play a role in the recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
CC:A is a deeper game than M44 but the shorter playtime and ease of teaching (as well as cooler bits) made M44 my go to game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valery Prikhodko
Belarus
Gomel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I choose Battle of Westeros (based on review). I've played only Memoir'44, Battlelore and C&C: A.
Reasons of my choice:

Dust Tactics - it's look like collecting minies not playing game. Required to much investments in addons.
Memoir'44 -- way to simple for me. Shooting is less interesting than clash of arms in that system.
C&C: A -- liked a system but I have no love for wooden blocks. Minies>blocks.
Battlelore -- was OOP for long time so i waited for good price. And now it's available but I liked Westeros system more ( based on review).
Battle of Westeros -- best adaptation of Borg system. Like a theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoffer Hellstrand
Sweden
Molnlycke
Harryda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for the theme you like best.
M44 is my choice. Wonderful game, easy to teach, hard to master.
Note that you also have the possibilites to train at Memoir 44 Online.
But nobody beats M44 after you have read about the history of each and every battle. Check the internet and watch movies before a scenario is a blast!!!

Over and out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Finn
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
Sunken warplane
mbmbmbmbmb
M44 for me. People who say it is "too simple" probably haven't played with the expansions, which increase choices and strategies several times over. Other games may have more detailed rules but you won't find any game more exciting to play than M44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finachetto wrote:
M44 for me. People who say it is "too simple" probably haven't played with the expansions, which increase choices and strategies several times over. Other games may have more detailed rules but you won't find any game more exciting to play than M44.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almilcar wrote:
Finachetto wrote:

+1

+2

When I was first introduced to this game I thought it would be TOO SIMPLE, but the "fog of war" introduced through the cards make every turn a difficult decision. This simple game has you thinking about what would be best to do with your limited resources from beginning to end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in agreement that that you should pursue the theme you like best. I LOVE Memoir 44, & I love history games in general. Therefore, I'm much more likely to pursue Memoir 44, C & C Ancients, or C & C Napoleonics than I am to pursue alternate/fictional history (Dust Tactics) or fantasy (BattleLore).

That said, I think I agree that the Battles of Westeros set is probably the best implementation of Borg's base design. Although I don't generally care for the fantasy genre, I did enjoy the book series, & I've gotten very close to picking up the game multiple times.

I also like the "toy factor" of a game. I love pushing little miniatures around the table. So, in my own, completely subjective world, the line of thought goes:

Historic scenarios > fictional scenarios
Miniatures > blocks
conclusion = Memoir 44. (and/or the new Battle Cry)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
superman829 wrote:
Miniatures > blocks

Aesthetically I agree. However, functionally blocks are easier.

(I'm a very happy M'44 owner by the way... the minis will attract anyone to a game of M'44, but after a few plays pushing blocks is just plain easier - especially those dang tanks.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
superman829 wrote:
Miniatures > blocks

(I'm a very happy M'44 owner by the way... the minis will attract anyone to a game of M'44, but after a few plays pushing blocks is just plain easier - especially those dang tanks.)

Any example of a block game that is somewhat comparable to M44? I don't think I've ever had a chance to play a block game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Helljin wrote:
RiffRaff14 wrote:
superman829 wrote:
Miniatures > blocks

Any example of a block game that is somewhat comparable to M44? I don't think I've ever had a chance to play a block game.
Go check out Commands & Colors: Ancients and Commands & Colors: Napoleonics. Same designer, same game system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
Helljin wrote:
RiffRaff14 wrote:
superman829 wrote:
Miniatures > blocks

Go check out Commands & Colors: Ancients and Commands & Colors: Napoleonics. Same designer, same game system.

I shouldn't have looked, Ancients looks tempting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.