Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aron F.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that there is already discussion about when roads should be built. It is definitely not explained clearly in the rules, but we, like most players, have assumed that it must be done during the Building phase, in any order, along with your other buildings.

But the question that I haven't seen asked is how many items you can build each turn. Here's the relevant text from the rules:
Quote:
During this phase, players may each construct one Building Card on the board

It doesn't strictly forbid building more than one, but by that logic, there's a ton of other things that are not strictly forbidden, but are clearly not allowed.

So, we interpreted it this way:

Quote:

On your building turn, you can build any of the following items, with the following limits:

A) Buildings: limit 1.
B) Roads: unlimited, as long as roads are still available
C) Temple pieces: unlimited, as long as spaces in the temple are still available

Building is not required. A player may could choose to build A, B, and C, or none at all, or some other subset.

I'm assuming that all this is correct, I'd just like confirmation.

EDIT:
I just found the online pdf with updated rules, and it states:
Quote:
Important: You may only build one Building Card each round.

The temple pieces are unlimited, because it is clearly states as such in that section of the rules.

It seems like the roads are unlimited too, so I guess this question is answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uigrad wrote:
On your building turn, you can build any of the following items, with the following limits:

A) Buildings: limit 1.
B) Roads: unlimited, as long as roads are still available
C) Temple pieces: unlimited, as long as spaces in the temple are still available

Building is not required. A player may could choose to build A, B, and C, or none at all, or some other subset.

You have it correct.

In my estimation the original wording of the rules already makes it clear that a limit of a single building is intended. "During this phase, players may each construct one Building Card on the board" implies that it is permissible to construct one, but not two or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron F.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:

You have it correct.

Thanks! I really appreciate all the time you've put into settling the ambiguities of the rules, in addition to making great reviews!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender and others have all answered your questions correctly so thanks to all them for the help!

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
This seemed like the best thread to piggyback with my own question...

I understand that players may build only 1 building (card) per turn.
I also understand that one of the end conditions is when a single player gets all 5 of his building markers onto the board in (obviously) 5 building sites.

My question arises from my first 4-player game of KoS. There are only 11 building sites on the board, so if all of us are building apace (or nearly so), it seems almost impossible for any of us to even get 4 building markers in play! (Which is presumably the reason the second end condition--the completion of the temple--exists.)

For us (and maybe we were doing something wrong) the game just devolved into a race for the stone/gold combos of resources to finish this off. This also resulted in a player hogging all the resources for himself while we all raced for cards to get us there. Perhaps this is how the game is designed to go, but for me it felt like suddenly the bottom dropped out of the game, and my choices were narrowed for me; there was only 1 path to victory.

Maybe that just means we didn't get the game on the first try.
Maybe that means 4 players isn't the "sweet spot" for this game (though I had heard it was.)
Anybody got input on this, or had a similar experience?
Should we scale the game to 4 building markers per player in a 4-player game? (I hesitate to tweak the rules when a game is new to me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip duBarry
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danny:

Sorry you had a bad experience. The other end condition is when all 11 building sites are used. The person going all out for the Temple can be defeated by another player getting more points from buildings. There are also lots of points to be had in the market.

Even so, the game can end rather abruptly from time to time. Players can certainly make this happen if they work toward that end. Other sessions can end up being very different. I hope you'll give it one more try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
pdubarry wrote:
The other end condition is when all 11 building sites are used.

Didn't see this 3rd end condition in my rule book. Perhaps I missed something there. (I hate when I do that.) It makes sense though, thanks.

pdubarry wrote:
The person going all out for the Temple can be defeated by another player getting more points from buildings. There are also lots of points to be had in the market.

True that. Yeah, it's interesting how, more than usual, players control the end of the game (the when). And you don't realize how many points are to be had by socking away items in the market, until you get used to the concept. (After all, you can't take it with you...)

Don't worry, it wasn't a bad experience. I'll definitely be playing this more than "one more try", I bought it and from the start it's obvious that there's a gratifying amount of depth to explore here. I just played it with my gaming group yesterday, and it was well received. It will be making it to the table again in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.