Subject: Parting Gifts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry, this must have been answered before, could not find it, have not played the card for long: can the resourced be moved from a Leadership hero of another player? I suspect no, as the line before "to" refers only to "your control", or am I wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no restrictions along those lines, so yes you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem recall another thread on this same card, can't recall what the verdict there was. IMO, Parting Gifts's effect falls under:

"Paying Costs
Many cards are written in a “pay or exhaust X to do
Y” manner. When confronted with such a construct,
everything before the word “to” is considered the cost,
and everything after the word “to” is considered an
effect.
Costs can only be payed with cards or resources that a
player controls." (p. 25)

Parting Gifts:

"Action: Move any number of resource tokens from a [Leadership] hero's resource pool to any other hero's resource pool."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
I seem recall another thread on this same card, can't recall what the verdict there was. IMO, Parting Gifts's effect falls under:

"Paying Costs
effect.

Parting Gifts:

"Action: Move any number of resource tokens from a [Leadership] hero's resource pool to any other hero's resource pool."

That is exactly what I was concerned about.

Thematicaly, the main thing which I do not understand is why it can only be a Leadership hero, as the main Hobbit protagonists are Lore and Spirit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't agree on this one. By using the card you don't actually expend anything. No character is exhausted and no resources are "paid". They are simply moved.

It's too easy to read almost every card into this paragraph's limitation. It makes sense that I can't pay for things with other players' characters or resources. But nothing is being paid for here, so I believe that rule does not apply.

Edit for punctuation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would hope you are right. But I fear you are not, as any official ruling tends to make things harder on players (which is not necessarily a bad thing). So I am eagerly awaiting the guy who "knows" the answer to show up. But he usually shows up only if it is an obvious answer (and I appologize if I sound mean, I certainly do not mean to).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpraibis wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:

"Paying Costs
effect.

Parting Gifts:

That is exactly what I was concerned about.

Thematicaly, the main thing which I do not understand is why it can only be a Leadership hero, as the main Hobbit protagonists are Lore and Spirit.

The Cost of the card is in choosing which hero take resource token's from, and costs can only be payed by hero's you control, so I suppose the card should have been worded:

Quote:
Action: Chose a (Leadership) hero you control, move any number of resources from that hero's resource pool to any other hero's resource pool.

as far as the theme of the card goes, I'm not sure why you are hung up on the hobbits being from Lore or Spirit... they are usually the ones receiving the gifts not giving the gifts...unless it's a birthday party

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Parting Gifts:

I don't have the card with me at the moment, but if this quote is accurate, then I do not see any cost involved.

Do what the card says -- move resource tokens from a Leadership hero to any other hero. There is no reference that the resource needs to be to/from a hero you control or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did find one other thread that addresses this, but no hard answers. http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8568597#8568597

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "do X to do Y" construction absolutely does NOT apply here. The text of Parting Gifts is:

Quote:
Action: Move any number of resource tokens from a [Leadership] hero's resource pool to any other hero's resource pool.

The fact that the word "to" appears in the text is not sufficient - it's not being used to mean "in order to", it's being used in its directional sense. The only cost to play this card is the card itself (since it costs 0), and "any other hero's resource pool" is certainly not an action, so it can't be the Y in that "formula".

So yes, you can choose ANY leadership hero, and move those resources to ANY other hero.

Edit: Trying to answer a rules question by using theme is an open door to a pile of bad logic and wrong rulings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.