Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

We're playing with the new culling/scoring rules that will be officially released in Quarmageddon. However, some of the things in the base game need altering.

For example:

Deathdealer: When Deathdealer scores, you may trade Deathdealer for one die from any other player's Used Pile.

Here is the wording we now use: When Deathdealer is about to score, you may trade Deathdealer for one die from any other player's Used Pile instead of scoring it.

I have started this thread to get other peoples opinions on which other cards need rewording following the rule changes. I am hoping to photoshop new cards myself and wanted to know other peoples opinions before I go through all the cards myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal embi
Poland
Krakow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Primordial Ooze
? = The number of Basic Quiddity Dice in your Used Pile

- With the introduction of the Spent Area (where I put Quiddity for summoning this Ooze and maybe some other creatures in this turn). I assume that it counts too (Used AND Spent). Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been using the new rules for several months now (ever since they were published) and not felt the need to change the wording on any cards.

As for the expert culling rules, we haven't reached the level where we have felt the need for it. We're quite happy to finish a game in 20 minutes or so, as anything longer than 30-40 minutes is really too long for a random game like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
We have been using the new rules for several months now (ever since they were published) and not felt the need to change the wording on any cards.

As for the expert culling rules, we haven't reached the level where we have felt the need for it. We're quite happy to finish a game in 20 minutes or so, as anything longer than 30-40 minutes is really too long for a random game like this.

When I say 'new rules', I meant the expert culling rules . If you are not playing with them, then you are playing the 'old' rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few questions for those who have played both the regular and expert culling rules. Does it really make the game more strategic? And does it solve the (perceived?) runaway leader problem? I've only played twice so far, both times using the basic rules, and in those two games, I did notice the runaway leader thing---but it's only 2 games, so I don't want to draw any conclusions yet.

Just curious about this expert culling thing. It certainly does seem like it would make for a game with more swings in player strength...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and yes. Don't get me wrong, Quarriors is a fun, random game. But the original game for me is too random. And in our opinion had a big problem with runaway leaders - first player to buy a dragon normally won.

The game is a lot more strategic. Despite the randomness, I've won the last 4 games, and in each of them, I was definitely making choices which were going to affect my gameplay, and they worked. The dice I bought were based on what was out there, combos, and reaction to what the other players took.

Of course, also with the new rules, deciding when to score is another big thing which wasn't there in the original. Score too early and you will end up with a dice pool that isn't very good. Score too late and you may have an awesome pool of dice, but another player has already won. It is kinda like in Dominion, knowing when to start buying VP cards.

The only disadvantage with the expert rules is that games last a bit longer, but I would never play the original again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Yes, and yes. Don't get me wrong, Quarriors is a fun, random game. But the original game for me is too random. And in our opinion had a big problem with runaway leaders - first player to buy a dragon normally won.

The game is a lot more strategic. Despite the randomness, I've won the last 4 games, and in each of them, I was definitely making choices which were going to affect my gameplay, and they worked. The dice I bought were based on what was out there, combos, and reaction to what the other players took.

Of course, also with the new rules, deciding when to score is another big thing which wasn't there in the original. Score too early and you will end up with a dice pool that isn't very good. Score too late and you may have an awesome pool of dice, but another player has already won. It is kinda like in Dominion, knowing when to start buying VP cards.

The only disadvantage with the expert rules is that games last a bit longer, but I would never play the original again.

Do you also use the "buy 2" rule? Also, from what you said in your post, it sounds like you're giving players the option to not score in order to cull any die from the used pile? My understanding is that otherwise, you can only ever cull the dice that you score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, The buy 2 rule too. Stops people just buying the biggest thing and having the choice to split their quiddity and buy 2 things.

And yes, I have been known to play with a further tweak, in addition to the expert culling official rule whereby if you choose not to score with the creature, you may cull a different die in your used pile, but this is just an extra personal preference and doesnt make that much difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Yes, The buy 2 rule too. Stops people just buying the biggest thing and having the choice to split their quiddity and buy 2 things.

And yes, I have been known to play with a further tweak, in addition to the expert culling official rule whereby if you choose not to score with the creature, you may cull a different die in your used pile, but this is just an extra personal preference and doesnt make that much difference.

Ok. I might give your version a try this evening. I enjoyed my first two plays of Quarriors, but I do feel the game could benefit by having to make more decisions.

Thanks for your input...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Volle
France
Le Versoud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you think the game is still too random, you can also try the Mulligan rule.
We always play with a combination of the variants mentioned in this thread, and even if some card combinations can make the game significantly longer (about an hour), we would never play the 'original' rules ever again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a couple of two player games tonight using the expert culling rules, sticking to the basic buying rules (one buy per turn).

It does seem much better. While my previous games were lopsided, with the outcome never in much doubt, both games played using the "cull what you score" rule were close (20-14 and 20-19).

I will definitely be playing this way from now on. The games were more fun, because it felt as though either player might win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
When I say 'new rules', I meant the expert culling rules . If you are not playing with them, then you are playing the 'old' rules.
Maybe you should have specified that in your subject line or in your original post then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:
Maybe you should have specified that in your subject line or in your original post then.

He said
Quote:
We're playing with the new culling/scoring rules that will be officially released in Quarmageddon.

Which "new rules" were you talking about, Mik?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.