Popular Tags: [View All]
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all it's not clear to me why we even need a new map expansion.

Can anyone explain why I should buy one and which one I should buy first? Does the game change at all? Do new rules come with the maps? What else do I need to know about the maps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
If you look at the BGG entries for the expansions, the descriptions answer your later questions (about rule changes and maps).

And with that info, you can probably answer the first question for yourself, since it's a subjective question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
If you look at the BGG entries for the expansions, the descriptions answer your later questions (about rule changes and maps).

And with that info, you can probably answer the first question for yourself, since it's subjective question.

Russ, do you have a personal preference toward any of the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have China+Korea and France+Italy. Both are enjoyable and different enough from the base map (and from each other) to be worth getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Redward wrote:
Russ, do you have a personal preference toward any of the expansions?

The double market of Korea is interesting to me.
And since I live in Poland I like the Central Europe map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb

Here are the 3 map expansions with the best average ratings and their descriptions. I have similar questions and all these seem interesting to me. Furthermore the average ratings may not mean a ton. I am very interested to see what people's opinions are on the quality of these expansions.

Power Grid: Benelux/Central Europe "Along with the maps are small rule changes to reflect the power culture in these two countries. As the Benelux countries support ecological power, players may have greater opportunities to acquire such power plants. Also, oil is more available and coal less available in these countries. As Poland has large coal supplies, coal will be much more plentiful than elsewhere in Central Europe. However, due to political stands taken by some countries, players may be limited in their access to nuclear power. The result is not just new maps, but new ways to play this great game!"

Power Grid: China/Korea "The Korean board comes with two separate resource markets (North/South).

The Chinese board has rules for the planned economy in China - power plants come out in ascending order during step 1 and step 2."

Power Grid: Russia & Japan "In Russia the market for power plants is restricted. Additionally, the standard rules for exchanging out of date power plants are changed, forcing the leading players to completely rethink their strategies.

Based on the crowded geographical surroundings, the players can start two separate networks in Japan. The first connections are restricted to certain cities, guaranteeing a tough fight for the best networks."

I hope this helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Each expansion map comes with new rules, and generally has different starting level and refill rates for the market. Some of them change the setup/mix of the powerplant deck, and a few even change how the auction market works.

I believe all the expansions have the rules available online, so you can easily check them out to see if they interest you.

Just some quick examples though.

Japan allows you to start 2 separate networks, also it has cities that allow multiple players to build on them in stage one.

Korea has two separate resource markets (North Korea and South Korea) but you can only buy from one or the other each turn.

Benelux is so tightly packed that the connection costs are all fairly low. As a result, it plays faster than most other boards, because it's easier to spread more quickly and hit your 7 then 15 cities.

As for which one to get first, well, I suggest you go peruse the rules for the expansions, and see which ones appeal to you most.

Although, if you are a completist, go ahead and try to find a copy of Brazil/Iberia in the collectors box first, so that you'll have somewhere to store your expansion maps.

Side Note: the most important and useful Power Grid expansion is a nice set of Poker Chips to replace the paper money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I'm a big fan of the China map because of how tight the resources run. Really strong competition, especially over coal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why buy more maps?

Variety. If you are content with the base game, there is no need, but most of the maps do offer a very unique feeling. Plus you can get them for about $10 or less so it is hardly any cost to get 1 or 2 extra maps (technically 2 or 4 since they are double-sided).

Maps that change the game rules a fair amount:

China/Korea - My favorite of the expansions, both maps have very interesting twists that make the very unique. China makes the plants come out in roughly the same order, and Korea has two markets.

Russia/Japan - Haven't had this very long, but I really like Japan and the multiple networks. Haven't played Russia so I can't really comment on it. From the rules it seems crappy plants stay out longer which seems like it would make the game drag, but I don't really know.

Maps with very similar rules to the base game, but unique maps:

France/Italy - France allows for a donut shaped map with large number of players, and Italy is very cut-throat with higher connection costs, better for fewer players.

Benelux/Central Europe - Benelux has very cheap costs and plays very fast. It is also great for teaching the game. Central Europe was the first to introduce regions that don't allow nuclear. It doesn't affect the game that much since a single outside these regions allows you to use nuclear for everything, but this is one of the better maps for it.

Maps that are kind of meh, but come with another box that you need to hold all the expansions:

Iberia/Brazil - Iberia is not that interesting at all to me. It has one region with the no nuclear rules (Portugal), but from my experience this has almost no change to the game. Brazil is okay too. I find the maps have very little difference in feel from the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Benelux as a fast/teaching map. Also, 'auto-drop' of the Eco plants and the auto-removal of an additional plant each turn help speed things along.

-1 CHINA-Brutal, unforgiving map-great for PG veterans, but not your 'next map'.

France is interesting-do you go for the 'cheap Paris start' or the 'build from the outside in' (e.g. use paris as a cheap 2nd connection. Core rules are the same, so its a nice step up from USA/Germany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Benelux for teaching/shorter game.
China is cool with the planned plant deck...actually makes a good 2 player game the one time a played 2p.
Korea's double market is the coolest imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If you play the game a lot or feel you will it's probably worth it to add some variety. If you're just going to play it occasionally with large stretches of time in between you probably won't need to. Then again you can play the base 2 maps 50+ times and have a blast, it's all up to you.

Korea is my favourite map, I really like the separate markets. After that I like Italy which is thin so can be super cut throat. All the maps I've played so far have been good though, it's just a matter of you determining if you want them or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Waenink
New Zealand
Whangarei
Northland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A definite +1 for Benelux. It allows for quicker games and works well with fewer players, plus the central Europe on the reverse side is pretty good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Stikfas Animate Better Than Legos!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/760153/any-polls-done-on...

Here is a poll that informs you of the popularity of each expansion. There is some discussion about why, but what I found interesting is that the majority of people enjoy the Germany map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For three players, I definitely would go with Korea or The Robots. If you tend to have more players, France is my favorite map. As noted above, with five or six you can play the donut map (everything but the Paris region).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive my ignorant question, but does the base game (Rio Grande version) come with the U.S. or the Germany map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrblueesq wrote:
Forgive my ignorant question, but does the base game (Rio Grande version) come with the U.S. or the Germany map?

Both!

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.