Subject: Should buy games before moving from US to London, UK ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Spillane
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As it stands now there's a good chance I'll have a ton of free space with the company's paid moving stipend. Should I buy my wishlist games now off of say coolstuffinc.com or trickle them in once settled in London?

Is amazon UK a good indicator of UK prices, they seem higher even before you multiply it by 1.55? Is gameguru.co.uk a good indicator?

I have at least 15 games I'm going to get it's just a matter of when given that my collection is currently pretty small.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bang Potential wrote:
As it stands now there's a good chance I'll have a ton of free space with the company's paid moving stipend. Should I buy my wishlist games now off of say coolstuffinc.com or trickle them in once settled in London?

Is amazon UK a good indicator of UK prices, they seem higher even before you multiply it by 1.55? Is gameguru.co.uk a good indicator?

I have at least 15 games I'm going to get it's just a matter of when given that my collection is currently pretty small.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

YES.

You're effectively getting free shipping (order $100 or more from CSI; your company's paying for shipping to the UK).

You'll typically pay 50% more for games in the UK. (Or, you'll save 33% by buying in the US).

These are 3 of the big online retailers in the UK. Their prices should be a good general indication.

http://www.leisuregames.com/index.html

http://www.gameslore.com/

http://www.iguk.co.uk/

*The only factor would be whether or not you'll be asked to pay 20% import VAT (UK sales tax) on your incoming goods. There's a declaration form you have to fill when you ship your goods over.

I believe you don't have to pay VAT if you declare that you're bringing the goods out within 2 years.

How much you put down as the value of your goods is up to you, but even for the most conscientious person, there's a strong argument that the value of your games has dropped by 50% the minute you open them.

For preowned, personal effects, it's typically not an issue that you declare that your goods have no commercial value, unless you're checked by an unusually nitpicky customs officer.

I'd suggest that you open the games, bag the parts, etc. (don't leave them in shrink; anyhow it's quicker to get any needed replacement parts if you do it while in the US).

Also, if you have a relocation allowance from your company, they may allow you to use it for any VAT duty on your goods from the move. They certainly won't let you use it to buy new games once you're in the UK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Spillane
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks SO much for the replies. Obviously this is silly, but it had been weighing on my mind greatly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games are more expensive in the UK than they are in the US.
Games are more expensive in Japan than they are in the UK.

cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were you I'd check out this website (can recommend it, he also runs a large game club in central London)
http://www.boardgameguru.co.uk/index.asp
and compare prices myself.

Edit: It really depends on the games you are interested. Everything wargamey will probably be much cheaper in the states. Same goes for Ameritrash. Guess what, Eurogames will likely be cheaper in Europe, esp. if you order from Germany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know some germans answered before but I want to throw a wrench into the calculations. In my opinion it is often cheapest to buy at german shops (Milan Spiele) or Amazon. Much cheaper than in the UK if You stick to the german versions and download the rules from boardgamegeek.com - if they arent included in the first place. And to the UK You get european shipping rates, which in case of Amazon (amazon.de) are quite reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Buy in US. UK prices are about double.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ewillia1 ewillia1
msg tools
mb
I lived in scotland for two years, england for one--I left my games in america. Important thing to think about-- your flat in London is most likely much smaller than your american home... do you have space for all the games? Does your company move your stuff all the way to your new home? Do you have a car to move things around once your in England? Just some thoughts about the practicality of big collections in UK life if you dont own a house

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
England
Harrow
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can buy games from a variety of USA retailers, like Amazon.com, CoolStuff, FRP, Fun Again, pay shipping and VAT and Royal Mail Was-Illegal-Extortion-Charge-But-Now-Appears-To-Be-Legally-Mandated fee and still pay the same as it would cost in the UK.

Eurogames are not cheaper in the UK as the English language versions tend to be printed by American companies and are imported from the USA.

Do open and bag the games as recommended to avoid VAT charges. Even if you do get stung by HMR&C then you'd be avoiding the RM handling fee named above which is payable on all goods worth over £15 and I have very seldom had anything come in from the USA which has avoided that.

I share a typical outer London terraced house. I haven't updated my game collection in a couple of years but I had plenty of space even with those 50 or so games I had then. Space to play them is more the issue than where to store them.

From my PoV: Buy before you come over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
Buy US its much cheaper for FFG/rio grande games etc

There are some (mostly german production companys) where they may be cheaper in the UK but not many

Best places to buy are

www.boardgameguru.co.uk
and www.gameslore.co.uk

Guru also runs a game club in london i believe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.