Subject: Original 2 starter sets vs. Master Set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so now that the 2 original starter sets have been reprinted (Guild Dwarves vs. Cave Goblins and Phoenix Elves vs. Tundra Orcs) --- is there any reason for me to buy the 2 x starter sets instead of the master set?

i am leaning towards getting the Master Set, for the simple reason that their prices are the same but i get a nice board plus 6 factions over the combined starter set's 4 factions + paper board.

to preempt some posts - i am not looking to buy all 3 of them nor just 1 starter set to try out.

thanks everyone for their comments
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, Master Set wins that comparison by a big margin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of bang for your buck, the Master Set is the way to go.

However, if you are starting from absolutely zero experience with the game, I would strongly recommend the TO/PE starter as the factions don't get a whole lot easier than those two. Quite a few of the Master factions require a little knowledge of how the game's mechanics flow, and so the strategies you might need to employ might not be as intuitive as if you had started off with the original factions.

I wonder if it would have been more worthwhile [edit] for Plaid Hat to bundle the original starter set factions plus the Jungle Elves & Fallen Kingdom (or Vanguards or Cloaks) into a separate "master set" so you could still get a far number of easier-to-learn factions plus the fancy board all in one shot...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Master Set.

But don't be too surprised if (when?) you end up owning all 3...

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While some of the factions in the Master Set are difficult to use the first time around (Deep Dwarves, Swamp Orcs, Benders), there are still enough that are relatively simple to play for a new player (Shadow Elves, Sand Goblins, Mountain Vargath).

Now that the Master Set exists, I'm surprised that PHG re-released the first four factions in starter sets, rather than separately like the other factions. I'm not quite sure what niche the starter sets are supposed to fill anymore, given the extreme value of the Master Set in comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William (Andy) Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Master set has mounted map board!

Once you own the master set and play a few games you will buy everything else. I'm guilty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Van
United States
Rexburg
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talorien wrote:
Definitely Master Set.

But don't be too surprised if (when?) you end up owning all 3...

whistle

ya I would say the master set but I want to have everything
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
Now that the Master Set exists, I'm surprised that PHG re-released the first four factions in starter sets, rather than separately like the other factions. I'm not quite sure what niche the starter sets are supposed to fill anymore, given the extreme value of the Master Set in comparison.
Maybe there's still a lot of people that aren't that much into the hobby and haven't heard about Summoner Wars yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Dubya wrote:
In terms of bang for your buck, the Master Set is the way to go.

However, if you are starting from absolutely zero experience with the game, I would strongly recommend the TO/PE starter as the factions don't get a whole lot easier than those two. Quite a few of the Master factions require a little knowledge of how the game's mechanics flow, and so the strategies you might need to employ might not be as intuitive as if you had started off with the original factions.

I wonder if it would have been more worthwhile [edit] for Plaid Hat to bundle the original starter set factions plus the Jungle Elves & Fallen Kingdom (or Vanguards or Cloaks) into a separate "master set" so you could still get a far number of easier-to-learn factions plus the fancy board all in one shot...

i played a 2-3 times using Phoenix Elves vs Tundra Orcs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PePe QuiCoSE wrote:
tatoolo wrote:
Maybe there's still a lot of people that aren't that much into the hobby and haven't heard about Summoner Wars yet?

even without the extra 2 factions, i would still think to buy the master set over the combined original 2 starter sets for the simple reason that it includes a real board instead of a paper mat.

does anyone disagree?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Dubya wrote:
I wonder if it would have been more worthwhile for Plaid Hat to bundle the original starter set factions plus the Jungle Elves & Fallen Kingdom (or Vanguards or Cloaks) into a separate "master set" so you could still get a far number of easier-to-learn factions plus the fancy board all in one shot...

I'd love to see a second master set so you could just buy both masters and have all the factions. Should save money for both sides too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wiley
United States
Mason
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Honestly, it does not matter. Maybe you should base your choice on which faction most interests you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KevOne
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absurd! OP is krazy!

Buy'em all! The ONLY solution!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wiley
United States
Mason
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe eventually, but not as a first purchase. Also, I would not consider reinforcement packs until you develop a favorite. Reinforcement packs do not change the game much, but can make your strategies more effective. Just go for the faction you would want to play first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:
does anyone disagree?
Nope, but my point was about people who were interested in finding out how the game plays and $25 retail would be more appealing than $50 in case they didn't liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main reasons I could think of are:

1. You want a smaller box(es).

2. You want to play 3-4 players.

3. You like the 4 starter factions more than the master 6.

4. 10 dice

dboeren wrote:
Steve Dubya wrote:
I wonder if it would have been more worthwhile for Plaid Hat to bundle the original starter set factions plus the Jungle Elves & Fallen Kingdom (or Vanguards or Cloaks) into a separate "master set" so you could still get a far number of easier-to-learn factions plus the fancy board all in one shot...

I'd love to see a second master set so you could just buy both masters and have all the factions. Should save money for both sides too.

We're generally trying to avoid reprinting something in a different bundle than previously. Many people missed the starters the first time around and we wanted them to be available again.

For example, let's say you got one of the last GD/CG sets on the first print run, and already had FK/Vanguards and a Master Set too. Would you really want to buy a big box to get 2 factions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion is biased, I have something of a Summoner Wars "problem," but I would say for value and variety in replays I would go with the master set. The two starters are great and are probably the best place to start from for learning, but will possibly leaving you wanting more if you only have them. The master set introduces some fun new mechanics (vine walls) and factions that require a slightly different approach to be able to successfully play them (benders).

Another option would be to buy one starter and some individual faction decks. You don't get the nice board, but that doesn't really affect gameplay, and you get some customization of what exactly you want.

Bottom line: I would suggest the master set for you or most people looking for a limited investment into the game that still allows a lot of variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the Master Set is the best value. You should probably pick it up first.

But pick up the starter sets soon, because a starter set is the only way to get the Cave Goblins deck.

After 16 factions and reinforcements for 12 of them plus tons of mercenaries, the unmodified Sneeks Cave Goblin deck still provides (subjectively) the most fun experience you can possibly have playing Summoner Wars.

They have tons of free units but with events to combo those units into ultra-powerful turns. The have a tough Summoner who loves getting in the fray but has the tools to survive it. They have a BAMF champ as well as two really strategically interesting champs.

I have fun playing any Summoner Wars deck, but the only decks that come close to the Cave Goblins in pure fun are the Mountain Vargath (and early returns on the Mercenaries are promising). But in the long run, 40 years from now when I find my Summoner Wars stuff in the attic and pull them out to teach my grandkids, I know the first faction I will reach for will be good ole' Cave Goblins.

(This message brought to you buy the American Committe to Elect Sneeks.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jexik wrote:
dboeren wrote:

We're generally trying to avoid reprinting something in a different bundle than previously. Many people missed the starters the first time around and we wanted them to be available again.

For example, let's say you got one of the last GD/CG sets on the first print run, and already had FK/Vanguards and a Master Set too. Would you really want to buy a big box to get 2 factions?

Of course not, and nobody is suggesting such a thing. We're just saying that the NEW players deserve to be treated well too, and they're usually going to be starting with the Master Set. The only reason most of us want the 2-faction starters is because it's the only way to get those factions. Give us a better way and to buy them and people will take it.

As things stand, new players have to spend more money and buy things they don't want in the 2-faction starters to get the rest of the factions and I'm hoping there will be a better option someday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dapuma Glory Glory Man Utd
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Get the Master Set first as it gives you a good foundation and a nice playing surface and more options for races initially

once you like the game the two starters have arguably the 3 of the strongest factions in the game so you will want to pick them up, but to start master is the way to go

then you will probably order them all...like i just did
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mårten Cederholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in the same boat.
To be honest I kinda regret ordering the Master set, but that's just because I heard Guild Dwarves are among the best.
But, I don't feel like cancel my order on the master set. Guess I'll just get the starter sets soon enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Kaiser
Germany
Kriftel
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought the two starter sets (since they are available in german, so i can play with the gf) AND bought the master set since i am a completist... whistle

Yesterday we had our first game and we decided to try one faction at a time and started with Cave Goblins vs. Guild Dwarves... i ended up with the Dwarves and thought that they were really strong...

That being said, we had an absolute BLAST playing this game and i am really looking forward trying out all the other factions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.