Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not meant as a pan of this game (we love it) but three of us have looked at this rule and come up with about 5 interpretations.

11.6 News from Schwerin

http://victorypointgames.com/documents/Grossbeeren20%20rules...
It would be interesting to see what others think this means by way of paraphrasing or rephrasing.

We're actually not stupid and have been playing hex and counter games for a collective total of about 70 years (maybe that's the problem).

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't get that link to work for me...

[And don't you play miniatures too? Perhaps the high lead content in the old Bloodaxe Miniatures might have something to do with it? Just kidding!]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh Yes we play Miniatures. You an old customer?

Any way that link seems to be working now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
LanceRunolfsson wrote:

11.6 News from Schwerin

http://victorypointgames.com/documents/Grossbeeren20%20rules...
It would be interesting to see what others think this means by way of paraphrasing or rephrasing.

I'm not otherwise familiar with the game, but after reading this I can't think of a way to paraphrase it that would be more accurate or easier to understand than the way it is written.
What seems to be the problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem was that I didn't read it enough times. Some how I was missing that Both sides reinforcements are effected the first time the card is drawn.

That combined with a level of disbelief that a mechanic could easily result in one guy getting his reinforcements and the other guy not.

Thanks for your reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
The problem was that I didn't read it enough times. Some how I was missing that Both sides reinforcements are effected the first time the card is drawn.

That combined with a level of disbelief that a mechanic could easily result in one guy getting his reinforcements and the other guy not.

Thanks for your reply!

LOL, it happens.

After I bought my first real wargame, The Russian Campaign, back around 1977, I didn't start playing it for about two years because I couldn't find any place in the rules that showed the different unit sizes (Corps, Army, Army Group).
Finally, after putting the game on the shelf several times and on about my 5th or 6th re-read of the rules, I found it. And mind you, this is only a 4-5 page rulebook.

Take a look at this:

How many F's can you find in the following sentence? Count them only once!

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE-
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIF-
IC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

ANSWER:

There are six F's in the sentence.

A person of average intelligence finds three of them.

If you spotted four, you're above average.
If you got five, you can turn your nose at most anybody.
If you caught six, you are a genius.

Here is the same text, with the F's highlighted.

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE-
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIF-
IC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I'm a genius. Who knew?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me to try and paraphrase it for you.

The entry of the reinforcements associated with this card (the French XIII Corps, the French-controlled Danish Expeditionary "corps," and the Anglo-Prussian Wallmoden Corps) is conditional. They won't enter play until the card is drawn TWO times. The first time the card is drawn, by EITHER player, all three of these conditional reinforcements become "activated," meaning that although they don't actually enter play at this point, they can potentially enter play the second time the card is drawn. The second time the card is drawn, the player who drew it gets to place HIS SIDE'S (only) conditional reinforcements on the Game Turn track and begins rolling for entry; if the other player subsequently draws the card again (i.e. "News from Schwerin" gets drawn a third time) then HIS conditional reinforcement gets placed on the Game Turn track as well.

The issue here is that although Davout had been ordered to support the advance on Berlin, he was so far away (in Hamburg) that the likelihood of his actually showing up was pretty low, but we wanted to try and simulate what might have happened had he advanced rapidly enough to arrive. The first time the card is drawn indicates that some sort of event had occurred during Davout's march (historically this was the inconclusive battle at Schwerin). The second time it's drawn allows for one side or the other to have either won (or successfully disengaged) at Schwerin and it's now headed for the battlefield. If the card gets drawn again by the other player (unlikely, but possible), this represents his forces following the other towards the battlefield at Grossbeeren. Effectively, the first draw is rumors of something happening at Schwerin, and the subsequent draws are the confirmed news of the outcome -- it's an abstraction, but it works.

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Napoleonic 20" series
(and designer of 'Grossbeeren 20')
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Lance

Lance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
Oh Yes we play Miniatures. You an old customer?

No, but I play miniatures with Ian Croxall. He used to live down your way, and he still uses some of your Marlburian Blood Axe minis for War of Spanish Succession. Between the two of us, we have enough battalions and squadrons to refight Malplaquet. I heard a little bit about you and the Medford group when I was living in Roseburg and playing miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK gotcha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.