Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Lost_Battles [+] [View All]
Steven Apergis
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
Let me rephrase.

I have played the game several times including today. I agree with the review.

Note: I have a friend who likes to play it and I enjoy his company more than the game. Sometimes who one plays with is more important than the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Years later, I still enjoy that game very much.

Enormous replay value, especially with the "design your own" initial setup rules.

Like oysters, it's an acquired taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: 'Come and see the violence inherent in the system!'Microbadge: Badge owner asserts that they have participated in the Funny Military Picture thread. Like, more than once evenMicrobadge: "When the heart speaks, the mind finds it indecent to object" - Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of BeingMicrobadge: Geek of the Week
It is a game for connoisseurs, and even for them it takes a few dozen games to discover the subtleties to enjoy the narrative full of tense and meaningful decisions every turn instead of fighting the rules. It takes patience and a little faith and some inspiration, in my case: (https://prufrockian-gleanings.blogspot.com/search/label/Lost...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Apergis
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
I have been playing the game on a regular basis at Kingstown Gamers with Bob Williams over the last few months. We have been playing the scenarios in chronological sequence and this past weekend we played Cannae. I played the Carthaginians and I was slaughtered.

One thing we discovered is that once you get used to the game and resolving all of the convoluted die modifications, we can play a game in an hour. It it takes longer to set-up than to play the game.

Although I agree with much of the initial review, after repeated playings the game is actually pretty good. There are some interesting decisions that a player has to make, like deciding what areas of the battlefield to concentrate on. One rarely has the resources to attack every where. Also normally one can not attack with every unit in an area. One has to decide which units attack and which units absorb losses.

It seems to do a good job of addressing how an army routes. If a player wipes out one sector of the battlefield the units routes like a cascade from that area.

For the fun of it we played the corresponding Command and Colors scenario for the same battle. The Command and Colors was more fun but is it more accurate? I do not know. I will let the experts argue that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Years later, I still find Lost Battles very enjoyable.

Accurate ?

Probably not, but no more no less than all the other existing Ancients Wargames.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  |