Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen photos of some great custom inserts people have made using foam squares roughly the size of the box. Where can I buy something like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as card games are concerned I'd prefer foamcore, which you should get in any handycraft shop. With foam core you are more flexible, here is an example for a foam core inlay for the game in question:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also made a custom insert using foamcore. I am very pleased with the results. It is pretty easy to handle and work with and was available at my local handycraft shop.

If you want to go for a foam insert, try googling for "foam for miniatures" or "foam miniature trays". You should find a lot of tutorials about making miniature trays out of foam, and where to get the materials:
http://warbuilder.wordpress.com/2010/10/02/diy-make-your-own...
http://oldguyrpg.blogspot.de/2011/03/gaming-on-cheap-diy-min...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful to only use it if your cards are sleeved (or there is a barrier between the cards and foam) because sometimes foam will deteriorate over time and eat into or leave a residue on whatever it is touching.

EDIT: This is also true with rubber bands (gumbands, elastic, whatever you call them where you live ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is bound to be a Hobby Lobby or Michael's craft stores in Illinois near you. They sell multiple colors and thicknesses of foam core board. Easy to cut and cheap to buy.

Even my local grocery store chain has a selection in the school supplies aisle.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowen wrote:
There is bound to be a Hobby Lobby or Michael's craft stores in Illinois near you. They sell multiple colors and thicknesses of foam core board. Easy to cut and cheap to buy.

Good luck!

I do have a hobby lobby near me. So do I need to worry about foamcore deteriorating my cards if they're not sleeved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Shadowen wrote:

Good luck!

I do have a hobby lobby near me. So do I need to worry about foamcore deteriorating my cards if they're not sleeved?

Probably. The best way around that is to put a piece of acid-free paper or acid-free board between the end cards and whatever is next to them. In other words, make an acid-free lining against the foam (this works with rubber bands, too, just wrap a piece of acid-free paper around the deck before banding it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
skyzero wrote:
Shadowen wrote:

Good luck!

Probably. The best way around that is to put a piece of acid-free paper or acid-free board between the end cards and whatever is next to them. In other words, make an acid-free lining against the foam (this works with rubber bands, too, just wrap a piece of acid-free paper around the deck before banding it.

Got it....thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Shadowen wrote:

Good luck!

No you don't - the post referring to that effect was about FOAM only, FOAMCORE is basically foam, mantled by sturdy paper (the paper has foam as its core). SO, with foam core your cards only touch paper, not the foam and you should not have a problem (I have never had an issue with foam core)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
skyzero wrote:
Shadowen wrote:

Good luck!

No you don't - the post referring to that effect was about FOAM only, FOAMCORE is basically foam, mantled by sturdy paper (the paper has foam as its core). SO, with foam core you cards only touch paper, to the foam and you should not have a problem (I have never had an issue with foam core)

I stand corrected. I was referring to foam and molded foam (and rubber bands ). I didn't realize that "foam core" meant that there was already a paper barrier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
EDIT: This is also true with rubber bands (gumbands, elastic, whatever you call them where you live ).

Hair bands. Couple bucks for 100 at Wal-Mart. Same size as your average rubberband but fabricized so they don't mar, slip or melt onto your cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Jude wrote:

Hair bands. Couple bucks for 100 at Wal-Mart. Same size as your average rubberband but fabricized so they don't mar, slip or melt onto your cards.

Hugo's Amazing Tape all the way!

www.amazingtape.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.