Popular Tags: [View All]
Frizzled
United States
Benicia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Sample Village Action (pg. 25) states that the player could destroy Summon Storm to gain 4 gold with Smuggler.

However, Smuggler states that only cards with a gold value (pg. 11) can be destroyed and Summon Storm only has a gold cost -no gold value.

Is this an error with Smuggler or the example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Frizzled wrote:

The Sample Village Action (pg. 25) states that the player could destroy Summon Storm to gain 4 gold with Smuggler.

However, Smuggler states that only cards with a gold value (pg. 11) can be destroyed and Summon Storm only has a gold cost -no gold value.

Is this an error with Smuggler or the example?

I would say that your observation is correct. A card with "gold value" has a gold coin in the top left with numbers 0,1,2,3,etc. Summon Storm has no "gold value" listed on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curse the last-minute playtest changes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vilfroy
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know I mentioned this exact item before when the rules were out but can't seem to find that thread either. Hopefully this item can be put in the official FAQ since obviously the gold cost changed during the testing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
tomvilfroy wrote:
I know I mentioned this exact item before when the rules were out but can't seem to find that thread either. Hopefully this item can be put in the official FAQ since obviously the gold cost changed during the testing.

Here you go: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8558837#8558837

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there also a *second* error in this sample village action? I came to this thread trying to figure out, what I saw as an error, and saw this error instead. What I found:

The second paragraph in the example says, "Even though his hand has a paltry 2 total gold value..."

Except the sample hand it gives, shows the Innkeeper and the Smuggler. The Innkeeper has a gold value of 2, while the Smuggler has a value of 1. So shouldn't it say, "Even though his hand has a paltry 3 total gold value..."??

I'm on my own trying to figure this game out, and things like this in the rules seriously undermine my confidence that I am, in fact, understanding it all!

Thanks for any help on this :-)

(and yes, I'm assuming that if this is an error, it's due to a last minute change to the gold values)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Misterboy wrote:
Is there also a *second* error in this sample village action? I came to this thread trying to figure out, what I saw as an error, and saw this error instead. What I found:

The second paragraph in the example says, "Even though his hand has a paltry 2 total gold value..."

Except the sample hand it gives, shows the Innkeeper and the Smuggler. The Innkeeper has a gold value of 2, while the Smuggler has a value of 1. So shouldn't it say, "Even though his hand has a paltry 3 total gold value..."??

I'm on my own trying to figure this game out, and things like this in the rules seriously undermine my confidence that I am, in fact, understanding it all!

Thanks for any help on this :-)

(and yes, I'm assuming that if this is an error, it's due to a last minute change to the gold values)

I think you're right. That bears out in the example's math. It says that you start with 2 gold, and after destroying Summon Storm (which originally had a zero gold value, and thus would have yielded an additional 1 gold to the Smuggler's ability), that we end up with 4 total. That only adds up if in fact we started with 3 gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the reply!

That issue with the Summon Storm card only *added* to my confusion. It's like, on every level, I thought I had a total lack of understanding of the example, and it was driving me nuts. None of it made sense. And when it's the example that's supposed to be making the rules "real" for me, that's a significant problem.

However, in your response, you've kind of confused me again. The Smuggler card reads roughly, "destroy a card with a gold value of 1 or more, and gain 4 gold". So assuming he could destroy the "Summon Storm" (which in reality he can't), then he should end up with 6 gold. 2 for the Innkeeper, and 4 from the Smuggler ability. This is, of course, at a point in the example BEFORE he uses the Innkeeper to destroy itself.

Please tell me that the above paragraph is correct, or I'll be re-reading the rules/example 30 more times :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Misterboy wrote:
Thank you for the reply!

That issue with the Summon Storm card only *added* to my confusion. It's like, on every level, I thought I had a total lack of understanding of the example, and it was driving me nuts. None of it made sense. And when it's the example that's supposed to be making the rules "real" for me, that's a significant problem.

However, in your response, you've kind of confused me again. The Smuggler card reads roughly, "destroy a card with a gold value of 1 or more, and gain 4 gold". So assuming he could destroy the "Summon Storm" (which in reality he can't), then he should end up with 6 gold. 2 for the Innkeeper, and 4 from the Smuggler ability. This is, of course, at a point in the example BEFORE he uses the Innkeeper to destroy itself.

Please tell me that the above paragraph is correct, or I'll be re-reading the rules/example 30 more times :-(

Grrr. You're right. My mistake. And I totally misread Smuggler's effect. So ignore EVERYTHING I said.

So I'll stick with your original guess, that starting with "a paltry 2 gold" instead of "a paltry 3 gold" is its own misprint, separate from the issue of Summon Storm's gold value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the clarification! I'm relieved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Quick

Austin
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to help clarify:

It should read "paltry 3 gold" instead of 2.

Summon Storm has no gold value. That's an error.

Deeply sorry for the confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luis dlc
Panama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also in this village example it says that the level 2 outlands slayer is upgraded
to level 3 outlands Kahn.

But the manual says on page 8 that you can level up heroes IN YOUR HAND. At the begining of the example the outland is not among the six cards.

Is this another error?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
luisdlc wrote:
Also in this village example it says that the level 2 outlands slayer is upgraded
to level 3 outlands Kahn.

But the manual says on page 8 that you can level up heroes IN YOUR HAND. At the begining of the example the outland is not among the six cards.

Is this another error?

You're talking about the wrong version of the game/rulebook.

However, if you read the section you're talking about (not the one OP is talking about), you'll note player in question uses an effect to draw cards, one of which is the Outlands Slayer.

"Sue decides to go to the Village on her turn. She has a hand containing
Barkeep, Town Guard, Lorigg Thief, The Unchained, Militia, and Battle Fury.
She also has 3 Experience Points. She starts by revealing her hand.

Now she can use any Village Effects on her villager cards. She uses the first
ability on the Town Guard to draw two more cards: Disease and Outlands
Slayer.
" (TS 1.4, p. 16)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luis dlc
Panama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:

You're talking about the wrong version of the game/rulebook.

However, if you read the section you're talking about (not the one OP is talking about), you'll note player in question uses an effect to draw cards, one of which is the Outlands Slayer.

Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.