United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just opened my Rex box yesterday, and was excited about assembling the space fleet pieces.

Sadly, the first thing I noticed was that the quality of the plastic on the ships wasn't very good, and both of the small ships were bent. Not at huge angles, just slightly, but still it is annoying. They are flexible enough to bend myself, but I couldn't get them to stick back in a "straight" position. (pictures available on request)

Generally, the ships and "posts" felt light and fragile, and I'm afraid I might break something or they might fall off every time I try to move them around the board (first play is planned for tonight, we'll see about that), nevermind ever having a chance of putting it back in the box.

Also, one of the holes in the base is in a different position from the diagram in the rulebook. This isn't a big deal, and certainly not the end of the world (one of the holes for a small ship is far forward instead of in a back corner). But I also want to know if this was just me or everyone else.

Just wondering if anyone else was equally underwhelmed by the fleet piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have the same issues.

I generally dislike the idea of having these minis on poles - it's flimsy. But it does not affect game play. I just hope that FFG does it better in upcoming games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing wrong with my piece... it looks fantastic...

Though the angle one of the dreadnought on the far side of the image is off-course (a bit of inclined) from the fleet angle. But I think I can manage it back into course with the help of heat / dryer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
For some perspective, the thing I really have to compare these ships to is my ships from BSG. The Rex ships definitely seem to be made of cheaper plastic.

I don't ever feel like my Pegasus basestars are in danger of having bent pointy bits, or that I cant leave them bouncing around the box freely for transport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just contact FFG, they will replace it. Plus it is not exactly an essential component.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not asking for a replacement, I'm commenting on the quality of the plastic used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
I'm not asking for a replacement, I'm commenting on the quality of the plastic used.

Exactly. It should be said and brought to attention. I think (and I agree) that this was the intention of Josh's post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, FFG uses relative cheap, bendable plastic unlike for example Games Workshop who use much harder plastic. Ofcourse, GW produce their own miniatures and have their own factory (and have been doing this for a long,long time), which is different from FFG who most likely order these to be produced elsewhere. No doubt the minor manufacturing problems are noted by FFG and will get back to their manufacturer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
Also, one of the holes in the base is in a different position from the diagram in the rulebook. This isn't a big deal, and certainly not the end of the world (one of the holes for a small ship is far forward instead of in a back corner). But I also want to know if this was just me or everyone else.

My fleet base allso has some of the holes in the wrong places. No big deal, still looks perfectly fine when assembled. Just not as the picture in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Future Wolfie
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man I don't have a problem with the fleet at all. The plastic is slightly bendy but it doesn't feel weak to me. The posts are flexible but that just feels to me like they won't snap if a little pressure gets put on them. and the slight angles don't bother me at all... it's a fleet of ships, they don't all have to be flying it perfect alignment.

I think this complaint is a bit nitpicky. If your ships came in multiple pieces or if everything broke in half already, then you'd have something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.