Dave Mauro
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Obviously the CAN be mixed if you have everything, but the question is should they be, as in is there any benefit to either game if you do?

I just bought Dragonspire as the 'best' entrance to the series just before Advance was announced. It seems that Advance is more of an advancement in the series than an actual expansion.

can anyone shed light on how well the other sets combine with Advance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several threads on this topic already. I'd take a look through those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mauro
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Oddly enough, looking back to the 12th (since I don't want responses from before the game was released) I don't see any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that if you really want a smooth, easy experience (where you don't have to worry about house rules, patch fixes, etc.) than you really just have to go through and cherry pick the cards.

It's really card dependant. Obviously a weapon that does X damage, or a Hero that does the same is 100% seamless... A Trainer, which destroys militia is useless.

I haven't done the math, but I'd say the vast majority of cards shouldn't be a problem. At the very least, half should be perfectly fine (Although I think it must be higher).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'd go back further because the pre-release was March 2-8, and many of us hard-core fans picked it up then!

However, my take... First, I should note that I use the Thundermaster randomizer, so some issues like the monster levels or selecting curses v diseases are handled automatically for me.

Beyond that, I think the main question for me was: when do the changes become tricky to remember. Treating diseases as curses? Easy. Regulars as militia? Pretty easy to remember. Picking races for heroes? Easy. People have posted on this and it'd be nice if there was an official AEG ruling, but in my mind this is in the category of "if everyone at the table agrees before the game starts, all is good."

Food availability for some cards? Hasn't come up yet in my random decks, but its easily resolved by swapping out a food item into the village or just adding an extra. Dagger availability? Similarly infrequent (hasn't been an issue) and easily resolved.

The only main remaining issue for me, then, was battle effects. One needs to remember that battle effects in the old cards are now mostly aftereffects. For me this is also easily remembered / reminded, but probably too much of a hassle for new players. So, when introducing friends to the game, I've stuck with Advance, but when playing with folks who know the game well, I've mixed.

Otherwise, I found it was fun both ways. I really like the depth that Advance adds to the game, but I also like having a few extra sets of cards ready to make things even more interesting. I found it played well both independently and mixed.

So, my take ... I'm going to keep my two old sets (Dragonspire and Thornwood Siege) and occasionally mix things up. I'll definitely have Advance be part of every game. And the prepare phase in particular is a must-have - it really adds strategy and fun so I'd use that even if I did play just Dragonspire some day. Depending on how AEG handles an official errata for old cards / updates, I'll probably hold off on buying additional old sets until I see what the Advance expansions look like, but mixing what I've got for now seems like a no-brainer. If the Advance expansions all rock and / or the old expansions are re-released, I might start to phase the old sets out to remove those minor confusions. But, in the meantime, they aren't that confusing, and they do add depth and breadth.

I hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eldavicho wrote:
I just bought Dragonspire as the 'best' entrance to the series just before Advance was announced. It seems that Advance is more of an advancement in the series than an actual expansion.

The only thing that's really tricky is that now any effect from TS Classic that killed heroes is classified as an "Aftermath" effect, a new keyword from Advance. I'd just take a sharpie and write Aftermath on every monster card that kills a hero(not that many): it will eliminate that problem. So I'd advocate a little modding, just so you don't have to deal with that quirk in the TS rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
hoobajoo wrote:
eldavicho wrote:

The only thing that's really tricky is that now any effect from TS Classic that killed heroes is classified as an "Aftermath" effect, a new keyword from Advance. I'd just take a sharpie and write Aftermath on every monster card that kills a hero(not that many): it will eliminate that problem. So I'd advocate a little modding, just so you don't have to deal with that quirk in the TS rules.

Only the killing of the hero is an "aftermath" though, not necessarily the whole card.

And the sharpie really isn't necessary though unless playing with newbs who are only familiar with Advance. Since he's coming from old school TS, the cards still play the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I may also play with some simple removable stickers, too, to satisfy my ocd / never ruin cards needs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes108 wrote:
Only the killing of the hero is an "aftermath" though, not necessarily the whole card.

And the sharpie really isn't necessary though unless playing with newbs who are only familiar with Advance. Since he's coming from old school TS, the cards still play the same way.

It's not strictly necessary, but if you don't want to remember that old TS cards have different rules from TSA cards, it's the fix I would use. It's really the only big inconsistency between the two rulesets, and some people really don't like remembering or dealing with things like that in their head, so I'm just pointing out there's an easy fix in case OP falls into that category.

And yes, since only the hero killing is aftermath, a few cards will require a bit more than just crossing out Battle and writing Aftermath. Comparatively few, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
hoobajoo wrote:
And yes, since only the hero killing is aftermath, a few cards will require a bit more than just crossing out Battle and writing Aftermath. Comparatively few, though.

Just a clarification: it's card destruction (not limited to heroes) that is treated as an Aftermath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darquil wrote:
hoobajoo wrote:

Just a clarification: it's card destruction (not limited to heroes) that is treated as an Aftermath.

Is it? My mistake then, I thought it was just heroes. Thanks for the correction!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
See also:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/776298/compatibility-questio...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/766530/compatibility-of-old-...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/774132/polearm-compatibility
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/765749/compatibility-issue-r...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/778645/backwards-compatible
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/774296/read-the-rules-found-...

(Some of these threads were started prior to the pre-release on March 2nd, but are still informed by reviews of the game or consideration of the rules, both of which were available prior to the pre-release.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started integrating old cards back into my game and I ask my friends if they wanna do easy mode or hard mode. For easy, destruction battle effects are aftermath. For hard, they remain as battle effects. It's actually worked rather well so far, and almost noone picks the easy option anymore :-)

Also, when adding village cards from the old game I've started adding them epic-style. If I'm playing with Golems or anything that references Food, I replace 2 of the item stacks with 1 "legacy" stack of food - my food stack from my epic thunderstone setup. The same with some heroes spells or items - I've made Randomizers for "legacy" stacks. I highly recommend not using more than three or four such stacks in a game though. I'm trying to reintroduce some of the old cards to people who have only played advance, without making every turn take forever to read all the new options. Sort of a standard-epic hybrid if you will. And it's pretty easy to still sort afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.