17 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Similarities to Gears of War? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Kirkwood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Does anyone else get the feeling this will draw a lot of ideas from the recent Gears of War boardgame?
They talk about monster groups, which is exactly what was used in GoW, where you get a selection of monsters based on the level, each labelled A,B or C, and different AI cards activate / spawn monsters based on their letter.

Also, the talk of simplifying line of sight may have something to do with reducing the number of squares and making it sections, as with GoW?

I read in another thread that they were doing away with threat, and having the OL play cards based on situational events. Again, this mimics the AI cards of GoW, whereby at the end of the players turn, an AI card is drawn and you follow the most applicable action. i.e if drones are present, move them towards players and attack, if not, spawn drones.

They talk of introducing defense die to speed up the attack maths. Another crossover from GoW, where you roll additional die for armour etc.
Also, the enemies in GoW don't have health in the normal sense of the word. They have hit points, but can only ever be "healthy" or "wounded". So, if a player does damage, but not enough to kill, the enemy is wounded and you put a little marker on it to show its stat change (e.g lower health).
Then next attack, you either kill it or you don't. It doesn't become more wounded. I wonder if the enemies in Descent will now have this sort of system...

Anyone else think of some other mechanics they might pull from that game, as I'm pretty sure I haven't looked into it enough yet!
P.S. Any news on this edition yet?!

Regards,
Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you check out the images in the gallery, as well as the GMT preview images that you can find in a couple of threads in the forums, you'll see that most of your guesswork is contradicted by what can be seen on the components. The only one that I think might have some weight to it is the one regarding monster groups. Everything else looks like it will be closer to the original Descent rather than GoW.

(Though don't get me wrong - I'd have loved it if it *was* closer to GoW, especially the area-based movement).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games are done by the same creator, Corey, and so it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if there were similarities. In fact, seeings how much Corey loves cards, I'm surprised there's even a board in this game

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Both games are done by the same creator, Corey, and so it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if there were similarities. In fact, seeings how much Corey loves cards, I'm surprised there's even a board in this game

-shnar

There isn't; there are just really thick, custom-shaped cards that interlock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sphären Wanderer
Germany
flag msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

There isn't; there are just really thick, custom-shaped cards that interlock.
And the dice and minis are origami. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the ABC mechanic of Gears might be the way to work 1st edition monsters into the game.

The Quests could list the A,B and C monsters, with the Spawn cards being "Spawn X number of A."

Then the conversion kit could tell you which monsters could replace which...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think ABC would work well for Descent. In Gears, you have a much more limited number of creatures, and when you only have a few on the board you're still worried they could get the drop on you. In Descent, the numbers try to overwhelm the Heroes, and if you limited to just 3 groups of monsters, it would get pretty stale pretty quick.

Granted, I'm applying this to the way 1st Ed plays and 2nd Ed could change things so drastically that this is a moot point, but since they are including 1st Ed monsters I am hopeful that there is similar gameplay involved.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I don't think ABC would work well for Descent. In Gears, you have a much more limited number of creatures, and when you only have a few on the board you're still worried they could get the drop on you. In Descent, the numbers try to overwhelm the Heroes, and if you limited to just 3 groups of monsters, it would get pretty stale pretty quick.

Granted, I'm applying this to the way 1st Ed plays and 2nd Ed could change things so drastically that this is a moot point, but since they are including 1st Ed monsters I am hopeful that there is similar gameplay involved.

-shnar

They're including 1E monster figures. That doesn't mean they have to work in any way at all like they did in 1E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

It could be A, B, C, D, E,...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Reynolds
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Lanchester
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr_Z wrote:

Also, the talk of simplifying line of sight may have something to do with reducing the number of squares and making it sections, as with GoW?

I bet the simplified line of sight is specifically in regards to the OL spawning monsters, which has to happen out of LOS of the players. Maybe now they do it by boards, the OL can't spawn on a board a player is one but can spawn on a neighboring board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kirkwood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
pardon the ignorance, GMT?

I thought the new dice looked like they had shields and things on, a bit like defence die in Gears?

Ah, I knew both games were linked, but I didn't realise quite how closely!

Although I LOVE Gears of War (Computer and board game versions), I think I'm more excited by the second edition Descent. I sstill have only played Road to Legend in one exhausting 20 hour session, and we never returned to that campaign. Indeed, I'm trying to get a revival going on at the moment, by starting with the original game and working up

Is there any truth in the rumour that this won't actually be revealed again until around August, at ...um, GenCon is it?

Thanks for the discussion,
Regards,
Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr_Z wrote:
pardon the ignorance, GMT?

I've no idea what it stands for either, I'm afraid!

Quote:
I thought the new dice looked like they had shields and things on, a bit like defence die in Gears?

Defence dice are hardly a concept that is new to GoW. I could name half a dozen games of the top of my head that implement defence dice, some of them designed by Corey, some of them not.

Quote:
Ah, I knew both games were linked, but I didn't realise quite how closely!

Although I LOVE Gears of War (Computer and board game versions), I think I'm more excited by the second edition Descent. I sstill have only played Road to Legend in one exhausting 20 hour session, and we never returned to that campaign. Indeed, I'm trying to get a revival going on at the moment, by starting with the original game and working up

Is there any truth in the rumour that this won't actually be revealed again until around August, at ...um, GenCon is it?

Which rumour? The game is shown on FFG's website as scheduled for release in Quarter 2, 2012. That means June at the latest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kirkwood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Heh, that's true, I guess I got caught up in the comparison moment

Someone over on FFG forums was talking about a rumour that it wouldn't be ready before GenCon in August. Of course, they could be talking utter nonsense, and I believe the official Q2 date more. But who knows, it's not like they've said anything in months

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr_Z wrote:
pardon the ignorance, GMT?...

Most likely a typo for GTM; Game Trade Magazine. There's a thread on here with a picture of an advert from it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
Dr_Z wrote:
pardon the ignorance, GMT?...

Most likely a typo for GTM; Game Trade Magazine. There's a thread on here with a picture of an advert from it...

Sorry - my mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Steelman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think it is safe to assume that Descent 2 will be influenced by GoW just as the first Descent was influenced by Doom.

However, I bet that it will be more heavily influenced by the first Descent and borrow a couple of innovations from GoW. The better and more elegant the innovation, the more likely it will get incorporated.

At least, that is what one would hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
If it is similar to GoW - does that mean it will be easy to adapt for solo play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.