Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Dice combat games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brown Fox
msg tools
Looking for a good Dice combat game. Preferably something you can buy today.

Heroscape caught my attention, but I'm afraid I'm several years too late. I really liked the easy mechanics of Heroscape. Complicated rules bore me.

I recently bought several sets of Dragon Dice. The custom dice are fantastic. The game mechanics seem very well designed, but tend to be over the top in complexity. The rules are a mess. For a dice game, there's seems to be a lot of strategy. Unfortunately, Dragon Dice is a collectible style game. I have absolutely no interest in collector style games.

Quarriors looks interesting, and it's on my watch list. I love games with custom dice.

Any other suggestions on games focused on dice battle mechanics? Custom dice being a plus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
If you want to see something really crazy, check out Dice Age Alpha Edition: Fundamental series.

Quarriors is... not as exciting as I had hoped. I think I was hoping for more variety in the custom dice.

King of Tokyo might appeal to you. It's like mixing Yahtzee with giant monsters. The 8 custom dice are just D6, but they're very nice and oversized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monsterpocalypse is worth a look, and is no longer a collectable game (honestly it never really was in the normal sense).

Are you interested in miniatures games? Lots of those would fit your requirement, I'd suggest Warmachine.

Partly it comes down to what you mean by "complicated rules". Is it the amount of rules, or the elegance? That is, say a game has a small simple set of core rules but lots of things in the game have special abilities - which can be viewed by some people as "more rules". Is this acceptable to you or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dust

Ikusa - I don't really consider the dice to be "custom" but I do enjoy the d12's better than your standard d6 cube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
desmodus
France
Bantzenheim
flag msg tools
badge
Die Ärzte, Bad Religioon, Bauhaus, Dom Perignon, In Extremo, Joy Division, Lacrimosa, New Model Army, Nirvana, Officine Panerai, Placebo, Rammstein, The Sisters of Mercy, Smashing Pumpkins, The Cure, The Mission, Die Toten Hosen, Umbra et Imago
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you already consider IRONDIE?
There you can fight the dice of your opponents.
Not cheap but the dice are just awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brown Fox
msg tools
dboeren wrote:
Monsterpocalypse is worth a look, and is no longer a collectable game (honestly it never really was in the normal sense).

Are you interested in miniatures games? Lots of those would fit your requirement, I'd suggest Warmachine.

Partly it comes down to what you mean by "complicated rules". Is it the amount of rules, or the elegance? That is, say a game has a small simple set of core rules but lots of things in the game have special abilities - which can be viewed by some people as "more rules". Is this acceptable to you or not?

I like simple elegance in a game. Core rules that are easy to understand work best. It's easy to get bogged down in special abilities. Dragon Dice suffers from this tremendously. They can be daunting. However, if the core rules make for a good mechanic, it's easy to trim out abilities to save on complication. Things like that could always be added back as one wishes to add variety to a game.

I'm definitely interested in miniatures. But the running cost of investing in those type of games generally makes them unapproachable. However, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plenty of dice to chuck around in Descent: Journeys in the Dark. I think there are even more in Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) if you don't mind waiting until it's released. Also, Doom: The Boardgame if you can still find a copy. (I'm pretty sure you can).
And there's always good ol' Risk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh E.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a bit confused by your description, but I think Summoner Wars would be something worth looking into. No custom dice, but it's similar in feel to HeroScape (very much inspired by it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe God Dice would fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

Nexus Ops has nice dice combat in a refined Risk kind of way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Claustrophobia. Great painted figures, like in HeroScape, and just as easy to learn, but faster to set up and play. Tons of scenarios to keep it fresh. Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
releppes wrote:
I like simple elegance in a game. Core rules that are easy to understand work best. It's easy to get bogged down in special abilities. Dragon Dice suffers from this tremendously. They can be daunting. However, if the core rules make for a good mechanic, it's easy to trim out abilities to save on complication. Things like that could always be added back as one wishes to add variety to a game.

I'm definitely interested in miniatures. But the running cost of investing in those type of games generally makes them unapproachable. However, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Gotcha.

If you want to look at miniatures my recommendation would still be for Warmachine/Hordes. Starter boxes are reasonably priced ($50 retail), come with quickstart rules, and provide a fun game experience with no other purchase required. There are also 2p starters if you happen to like those particular factions, or you can buy two separates. The starter boxes keep out all the rules to do with units and solos (because there aren't any in the box), so it's just a few models to keep track of.

The quickstart rules and stats and free downloads from privateerpress.com so you can try it out and see if it's your sort of thing or not.

Monsterpocalypse is made by the same company and is less expensive because it's prepainted plastic minis instead of "real" minis. The core game mechanics aren't that hard but it does use a lot of icons which will be confusing initially. However, it's a lot more "boardgamelike". It uses an actual board (map of a city) and you don't have to assemble any models to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Monsterpocalypse, but I think this statement by the O.P. takes it out of the running:

releppes wrote:
I have absolutely no interest in collector style games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M *
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd recomend Quarriors, it's a really solid game. Also Chupacabra: Survive the Night from Haywire is pretty good for dice games. It is aimed at kids a bit, but I think it's got a lot of potential.

Also Super Dungeon Explore has some variety to it's dice rolling, I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Button Men is free from cheapassgames website. Just requires different sized dice. Looked like there was quite a few characters too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you like dice rolling go for Warhammer. Fantasy of 4k, just run an orc/k army and youll be rolling dice all friggin day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarriors is very good.

I like Dragon Dice a lot but I don't feel I have to "collect" any more. I haven't bought any for 10 or 12 years, but it remains a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brown Fox
msg tools
theauthorm wrote:
...Also Chupacabra: Survive the Night from Haywire is pretty good for dice games. It is aimed at kids a bit, but I think it's got a lot of potential...

This is the best recommendation yet!

I love the simple idea as well as the theme. This would be a hoot with my kids. Lights down low of course. I'll be looking for this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brown Fox
msg tools
theauthorm wrote:
I'd recomend Quarriors, it's a really solid game.

I'm getting mixed reviews on this game. Some say it lacks depth. I have the game on my watch list. Hoping to pick it up on sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Oh! Almost forgot Chunky Fighters. The dice actually make up the characters. Each die is a body part, like head, feet, torso, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ordered God Dice just now thanks to this thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.