BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Euros Ameritrashers Love and Ameritrash Eurogamers Love rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
So a question for experienced boardgamers.

Which Eurogames are generally liked by Ameritrashers and which Ameritrash games are generally liked by Eurogamers?

Maybe a top 5 list for both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eclipse feels very much in between to me. I think that's why I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Lowe
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Thrower provides an excellent overview every year on F:AT of fave games of BGG AT badge holders. The most recent is here : http://fortressat.com/index.php/analysis-toc/3071-ameritrash..., showing the likes of Railways of Europe, Through the Ages, Tichu, Indonesia, LotR: The Confrontation, Dominion amongst the AT & wargame fare (tho whether you view all of these as Euros is your call). In previous years, I thought I'd seen more classic Euros like El Grande and T&E, I might be misremembering.

Most AT peeps I know love the hybrids like Imperial, Wallenstein, Eclipse, Mare Nostrum, Cyclades etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World seems to appeal to both types as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
As an Ameritrasher, my favorite Euro is Ninjato. How many other Euros instruct you to shout "Banzai!" while playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a fan of both genres (leaning more heavily to Euros due to game length considerations), I can honestly say that few of the supposed hybrids do it for me. Chaos in the Old World, Cyclades, Small World, etc all have fallen flat for me.

I see Imperial mentioned above and I do like Imperial a lot, but disagree that it is a hybrid. It is a full on Euro in Wargame (not Ameritrash) clothing.

For me, the only exception that I have found would be Wallenstein (second edition)/Shogun.

Also, I think Dungeon Lords would appeal to both groups.

Edit: I see El Grande mentioned above as well and see it more as a Euro that scratches Wargame itches, not Ameritrash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've heard much love for Imperial from the Ameritrash side, also from wargamers and 18xx fans. (It's also my favorite game)

I have a buddy who is a hardcore ameritrasher, he keeps playing with us euro players (and gets upset when we try to play euros). He keeps inflicting Cosmic Encounter on us which none of us particularly like but we can stand. So far the only euro he has enjoyed is Coloretto. He liked Small World but the rest of us hated it.

As a big euro fan I have quite a bit of love for Descent: Journeys in the Dark though my current game group has little use for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb

My favourite euros:
Settlers of Catan
Dominion
Puerto Rico
Agricola
Caylus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande - the classic area control game, but full of ways to jack over your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MyParadox wrote:

Of this thread, this and Dominion are the *only* games I enjoy, and I see it as a hybrid.

Other games:

* Dominion and Race: I see these less as traditional Eurogames than CCG-like "combo" games, similar to Magic the Gathering. Certainly the heavy text of the later Dominion sets aren't particularly similar to Eurogames, IMO.

* Havana: Direct confrontation Eurogame.

* Space Alert, Galaxy Trucker: Light real-time Eurogames.

* Glen More, Bohnanzha, Loch Ness: Traditional Euros on the lighter side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
MyParadox wrote:

the cool thing about this one is you can tell it's a descendant of Midgard, which is a straight up euro area majority game in the vein of el grande, which has always been a hit with ATers. I wish Eric Lang would make some more stand alone board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
I would consider the following to all be games which have charactoristics of both and be popular with both groups.

Claustrophobia
Chaos in the Old World
Quarriors!
Eclipse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil AnnergÄrd
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
oeste wrote:

If that is hybrids peole have other definitions of that than me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil AnnergÄrd
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
kellhus wrote:
Matt Thrower provides an excellent overview every year on F:AT of fave games of BGG AT badge holders. The most recent is here : http://fortressat.com/index.php/analysis-toc/3071-ameritrash..., showing the likes of Railways of Europe, Through the Ages, Tichu, Indonesia, LotR: The Confrontation, Dominion amongst the AT & wargame fare (tho whether you view all of these as Euros is your call). In previous years, I thought I'd seen more classic Euros like El Grande and T&E, I might be misremembering.

Most AT peeps I know love the hybrids like Imperial, Wallenstein, Eclipse, Mare Nostrum, Cyclades etc.

If it was not for a few games in the top-10 I would have start to wnder if I was an AT player. But for now I keep with just playing good to me games without some strange overall definition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Empire Builder, so I will probably also enjoy Iron Dragon which I found at a local Goodwill recently. Beyond that, um, I don't dislike Settlers of Catan and might even consider buying Cave Troll one day, but only the 2nd edition with the plastic bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
The guys at Fortress Ameritrash also list their five favourite eurogames in this thread:

http://fortressat.com/index.php/forum/13-eurogames/52518-fat...

Besides the "hybrids" it seems many Ameritrashers like older euros, like El Grande, Tigris and Euphrates or Settlers of Catan. Other games that pop a lot are Dominion, Power Grid, Acquire and Race to the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Herman
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World and Cyclades are my two definite recommendations. I think of both as American-informed Euros, adding confrontation and swingy play to a solid mechanical core.

I think of Imperial as more of an economic game than a confrontational one, but it's excellent, so I don't mind seeing it recommended. I found the original game to be more vicious and confrontational. Imperial 2030 is more about stock picking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AoE III and Lords of Vegas are Euros that get some Ameritrash love.

World of Warcraft: TBG is an Ameritrash game that certainly gets love from this Eurogamer, at any rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I've never really understood how Chaos of the old world is considered a Hybrid.

Swingy dice based combat, very asmetrical sides, exception cards galore.
It's influenced by El Grande but I don't see the end result as very euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Chaos cards are basically worker placement.
The game had a fixed, limited number of turns.

That's all I got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Nurgle, Slaanesh, and Tzeentch are all focused on area majority. They drop corruption in the hope of netting big points. In fact, were it not for Khorne, there would be very little combat in the game at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
General_Norris wrote:
The guys at Fortress Ameritrash also list their five favourite eurogames in this thread:

http://fortressat.com/index.php/forum/13-eurogames/52518-fat...

Really useful link! I've analysed the data.

The sample size is 75 and the top 5 lists of Eurogames by Fortress AT users have been used.

Assigning points to games by rank in each user's list (i.e. 5 points for Number 1, 4 points for Number 2 etc.), the following overall ranking has been obtained from the total points:

1) Settlers of Catan (way out in front)

2) Ra
3) Tigris & Euphrates

4) Power Grid
5) Acquire
6) Dominion

I've separated them into 3 groups to show that Settlers of Catan seems to be in a league of its own. Ra and T&E are also quite ahead of the last group of games.

Other games which are also popular include Through the Ages, Age of Steam, Railway Tycoon, Imperial, Race for the Galaxy, Carcassonne, El Grande and Bohnanza.

The surprising thing is that the top 6 listed above is not on the latest Ameritrash Badge Holders Rankings (I don't think Dominion: Prosperity counts since it is an expansion). The Euros in this are Through the Ages, Indonesia, Tichu and Railways of Europe.

Edit: I think the difference is due to the fact that top 5 lists are probably biased towards games that have been played by a lot of people (also there are no negative ratings). I think the AT Badge holders rankings only use the raw average (?) which probably results in a bias towards games that have only been played by fewer people.

This is similar to the difference between BGG rankings and Tom Vasel's People's Choice Top 100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
msg tools
mb
MyParadox wrote:

Nurgle, Slaanesh, and Tzeentch are all focused on area majority. They drop corruption in the hope of netting big points. In fact, were it not for Khorne, there would be very little combat in the game at all.

Yes, but Khorne makes it into an AT game.

Without Khorne it's not Chaos in the Old World, probably something like 3 little girls in the Old World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Combat in CitoW is not dissimilar to other games and is clearly designed to favour the spread out of forces, not drama as it's not particularly tense on itself. It seems to me it's not more Ameritrash than Age of Renaissance combat is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Manhattan Project is a game I like to call Euro-Trash and has a good mix of confrontation and screwage in a hard core euro game.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.