Subject: One Q about items on buildings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First let me say, my game group and I both LOVE this game, and I am quite glad to get it on the first day the FLGS had it in stock. Played it 3x and can't wait to play it again.

Ok now for my Q.

I have scoured the rule book for an answer and watched the how to play vid by R.T. and was just a little confused about one thing.

When you have the buildings in which you place items on there every round and when purchased (money,VP's or cubes), do these items go with the building once it is built, does the builder get everything on it when it's purchased and then more get put on when it's placed, OR does the builder just get all the VP's on it.

It would seem that the only thing that the builder gets is any (and all) VP's on the building by reading the rules but it's not clear on the cubes/gold. So that conceivably could mean that a building if it's in the offer long enough could be built with 3 or more purple cubes (mages) already on it.

Thanks for any help all!

--GJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played yet, but based on my reading of the rules. These buildings wouldn't accrue until they're built. If a building isn't yet built how would it produce people (or in this case be a building for people to gather for you to hire).

Of course I could be entirely wrong but that's what I took from the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Skedzielewski
United States
Augusta TWP
Michigan
flag msg tools
Who has two thumbs and likes Tacos....?
badge
...This Guy!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as the builder didnt put one of their agents on the new building but on the Builder's hall, you just get the 1+ VPs that were on the building before it was built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
thearkhammonk wrote:
These buildings wouldn't accrue until they're built.

I believe this is correct, and this is how we've been playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem I think we are having is it says "when purchased/at start of round".

Not "When Purchased/at start of round after being built". And no where in the rules do I see that buildings do not start to accrue resources until after officially built. (Unless of course I am blind then if so please tell me where I missed it )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Rhodes
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Seems obvious to me that what's intended is that the resource doesn't accrue until the building is purchased. Thematically, it'd be bizarre to have resources accruing to a building that doesn't even exist yet. (It's the builder's hall.) Mechanically, it'd be more in keeping with building mechanics in general that they don't do anything til they are built. (A few intrigue cards make exceptions to this of course.) And again mechanically, it'd be inexplicable that you would place resources both on purchase and at the start of rounds if you're doing this on each round even before the thing is built. Why the extra fiddliness of adding resources on purchase of the building?

All that said, though, as far as I can tell, you're right in a strict sense. The rules as written do say resources accrue at the beginning of rounds, and no exception is made for rounds prior to purchase.* There's no way that's as intended, but it is what's written unless I (like you) have missed something in the rulebook.

*Please note where this reasoning must take you, however--resources must be accruing on those things [i]even before the building tiles are placed in the builder's hall.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekJock wrote:
Not "When Purchased/at start of round after being built". And no where in the rules do I see that buildings do not start to accrue resources until after officially built.

The rule is on the game board...

Read builders hall

"CHOSE 1 BUILDING, PAY ITS COST, PUT INTO PLAY"

Untill that time the building is not in play and does not generate VP or Resources. The only VP on the Builders hall Location on (Available buildings) are due to Turn Start Event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And to complement the above comment, refer to page 8, under the section titled "Start of Round":
Rules wrote:
When Purchased/Start of Round: Some Building tiles have special instructions to be followed when the Building is purchased and at the start of each round. If any of those buildings are in play, follow the start of round instructions for each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
birdman37 wrote:
And to complement the above comment, refer to page 8, under the section titled "Start of Round":
Rules wrote:
When Purchased/Start of Round: Some Building tiles have special instructions to be followed when the Building is purchased and at the start of each round. If any of those buildings are in play, follow the start of round instructions for each.

Where does it say that "in play" means only those built and not those available to be purchased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekJock wrote:
Where does it say that "in play" means only those built and not those available to be purchased.

atraangelis wrote:
The rule is on the game board...

Read builders hall

"CHOSE 1 BUILDING, PAY ITS COST, PUT INTO PLAY"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, from the glossary on page 22:

Rules wrote:
Building/Building tile: The game board contains nine basic
Buildings, and players can purchase other Building tiles and put
them into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies, I wasn't trying to make a case either way, but you know how some gamers are. Sometimes you play with "those" gamers and if i have had the Q once chances are it will come up again.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Mayers
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Came to this thread looking for just this answer.

Thanks all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took this text
When Purchased/Start of Round
as to put an item token on it when it is purchased, and then again at the start of each round.

Say player 3 buys a building that accumulates wizard tokens. He buys it and puts it into play and places a wizard on it. Player 4 could place his/her token there and take the wizard.

If player 4 does not, and the round ends. At the start of the next round it would have 2 tokens on it.

Am I off base here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is exactly what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct.

When a building is "built" and put into play it will get one set of said "items", in your example the Mages (Purple cubes).

If no one goes to that building for the rest of the first round, at the start of the next round when it gets another one it will then have TWO total Mages on it.

(EDIT:Saw Matt beat me to it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.