Time's Up!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarification on an odd Round One playthrough. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil White

Fremont
California
msg tools
A question over this rule caused an argument so big that we haven't brought Time's Up back to our weekly game night.

I know, right?

It was in round one. A team drew "Blitzen". The cluegiver said "Santa's reindeer". The guesser named all the ones he could think of, but missed "Blitzen".

The cluegiver then said "blintzes" which prompted the guesser to guess the right thing.

As printed in my edition, the rules for the first round are:
Quote:
THE ONLY RESTRICTIONS ARE:

* No part or variant of the name can be used in the clue. Ex: You can't use "Willy" or "Bill" to get the Guesser to say WILLIAM.

I don't think this applies because "blintzes" could never be confused as another way to refer to "Blitzen".

Some argued that "blintzes" contains part of the name "blitzen", but the sounds aren't even in the right order, so the implication would be that no one could provide a clue involving the sounds "blih", "ts", or "en". And that's just ridiculous.

Quote:
* "Rhymes with" clues are acceptable, provided the Cluegiver doesn't actually say the rhyming word. Ex: "Sounds like the animal that oinks" would be OK, but not "Sounds like a pig."

The clue in question didn't use the words "rhymes with" or "sounds like". It was just "blintzes", so it would seem like this rule doesn't apply.

Quote:
* No spelling of the name is allowed, nor is any clue designed to give away specific letters of the name (the only exception is for names using initials, such as H.G. WELLS, although for such names the cluegiver is still forbidden to say the initials outright).

It certainly didn't spell the name, though arguably it gave away specific letters by using a word with those letters in them. But then again, wouldn't that imply that any word with the letters "b", "l", etc. in it would be disallowed?

I think it ought to be legal by the letter of the law, but it seems against the spirit of the law. Since the person who this happened to felt generally put upon, they demanded that either there was an addition to the rules to make it illegal or that it be ruled legal.

That seemed reasonable to me. After all, if it's illegal, then we'll need some way of communicating what about it is wrong to people who are new to the game later on.

Any opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion is that it is illegal.

The purpose of the clue "blintzes" is it sounds like "Blitzen". The cluegiver may not have said "sounds like", but that is still the type of clue being given and this type of clue is illegal.

What if I said "Shock a feller"? Just because I never said "rhymes with" doesn't allow me to give rhyming clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Monterroso
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
If you are not having fun, then you are missing the point.
mbmbmbmbmb
chockle wrote:
My opinion is that it is illegal.

The purpose of the clue "blintzes" is it sounds like "Blitzen". The cluegiver may not have said "sounds like", but that is still the type of clue being given and this type of clue is illegal.

Completely agreed. My group would not have allowed it.
The word clearly "sound like" the clue. Not in the traditional sense, but in most people's sense.

Illegal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blintzes have absolutely nothing to do with Blitzen. The one and only reason a clue giver would use it is because it sounds similar, hence, it is a sounds like clue and we wouldn't allow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Vote #4 for illegal.

Should not be allowed. Not with the spirit of the game at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sarrett
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I agree with the other respondents-- this was a "sounds like" clue, even though the cluegiver didn't use the words "sounds like". As such, it shouldn't be allowed.

However, the point of the game is to have fun, and arguing over rules isn't fun. If this happened in a real game at my home, and the guesser had rattled off all the other reindeer but forgot Blitzen, I would have allowed it because at that point it would be more fun to let them get the answer and move on.

It all depends on the vibe of the group, and whether the spirit of the law is more important to you than having a smooth, fun experience that doesn't sour people on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.