World of Warcraft Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Should I pick up this game at this point? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I was browsing amazon and stumbled onto it. I saw that the core basic core set can be purchased for ~$10 and the deluxe set for ~$50, with boosters being around ~$10 as well. That seems other then the deluxe set it seems like it might be really cheap to get into. Is it worth it at this point since from what I can find it's a dead game? Also if I should consider it, is it worth it at this point getting the expensive deluxe core set, or should I get a basic core set (or multiple) and then funnel my extra money into the cheap boosters for more characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see... I'm not sure how to answer this. The basic starter is good for it's money but doesn't bring that much stuff for making a lasting game. If you only get the basic and the 2 or 3 booster, you can have a mini skirmish game rather quick with some variety to it. If you want a bigger full game, you will need the Deluxe since it comes with a mounted board and the possibility to build custom boards. Also extra dice and UBases for bigger teams (3v3 is the standard).

I'm pretty sure you can get booster cheaper than that, either core or spoils (only expa). You just got to browse different web stores and get the clearances. Also the Deluxe might be worth trying to get it used since you can get better prices.

About the state of the game being dead, I find it quite great if you get a regular opponent to play, learning the game and building better teams with the few you have around after each play. Actually I played this a lot when I did that, each one of us had a faction (Alliance/Horde) and started with some minis. After each game, the loser could add one mini to his allowed ones to make his party (which also added better customization for the Action Cards).

Also if you have games of the type, like maps of other games or tokens, this game can shine with customization. If you are looking for less effort to 'make' the game you are probably better looking at some of the new boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say yes. The game has a lot of variety and quite a good game balance in the first set. The second set had some power creep, but not terrible. I agree with Fede.. You can probably find better prices if you hunt around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I bought into it recently, then sold off my collection without every playing it. Just have too much stuff laying around. Plus, I stopped playing WoW around that time.

That said, you can get stuff really cheap on eBay. I got a complete set of the first expansion for $30. You can also go to Troll and Toad and buy 50 random minis for $10 I believe. I did that and got quite a few rares and an epic. I'd recommend buying a starter and that lot to get started, then see if you like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with eBay. Look for a week or two and find a small collection for cheap. I really enjoy this game a lot. Get a deluxe starter if you can as it's nice to have the board game box for your shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
MattShinners wrote:
You can also go to Troll and Toad and buy 50 random minis for $10 I believe.

I don't think this is available anymore.

But thanks for the advice. I think I'll keep an eye out for cheaper minis. I feel like if you were to put together a substantial collection, there might be a good assortment of monsters to create some sort of co-op or pve campaign out out of.

That's something I could really get into if it's possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually just became interested in this game a few weeks ago as I was very interested in the turn track mechanic that it uses to see if I could modify it for my own game that I'm designing.

I was able to pick up a starter set plus three other mini's for $10.00 ($2.99 + $7.00 S&H) on eBay last week. I can't think of a cheaper way to try out a game.

And from my point of view, if I like it, I can get a majority of all the figures for cheap over the next few months/years without worrying about the normal cost associated with collectible games. In other words, it's nice to know that there is an attainable finite number of figures if I did want them all. Plus, there's no power creep in later sets causing your core set to be useless like in most collectible games since there are only two sets that I know of.

On the other hand, if I don't like the game, I'm only out $10.

...And I might be able to turn around and sell it to the next guy for a few bucks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I guess based on everyone's suggestions, I won't bother buying anything new or sealed yet. I'll just keep an eye on eBay in hopes of finding a nice set for pretty cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Update:

I spent $38 on ebay over the weekend to get the deluxe starter set with a total of 40+ figures. That was much more cost efficient then buying the starter set off of amazon for $50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.