15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Kickstarter failures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Franklin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Something I've noticed about Kickstarter - it's very hard to find the pages for failed projects that never made their funding goal. So although the official stat for failures is 60%, it's hard to find details out about them.

Has anyone funded a project that then never made it to completion? What happened afterwards? Has the designer been in touch to inform you of their backup plan?

Or even worse - have you used a different service, like IndieGoGo, which doesn't refund you for backing unsuccessful projects? Did you get your game in the end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard the indiegogo can refund it depends on how the project is set up. (they recently made that change though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had four Kickstarter projects not complete it's funding. In one case, the individual did send a message and thanked everyone for their support and talked of plans of trying again. Fortunately the second attempt she tried proved a successful venture and her project was successfully funded.

Two of the other projects I supported that failed to meet their funding goals (one was canceled a few hours before funding time ended) did not post anything or contact supporters. I imagine the message was obvious to all concerned and do not hold it against them for not leaving a message.

One project I backed was pulled about mid-way through the funding process without any communication whether it would be back as a project or why it was pulled.

The four projects that were not successful in reaching funding or pulled are still in my list of projects that I have backed and I think I can still visit the pages, though haven't tried recently.

Hope this helps answer your question or at least fills in the blanks a little!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
TodayILearned: IndieGoGo sometimes doesn't refund failed projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a URL to one of the Kickstarter projects that did not meet it's funding goal;

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1968128651/modrn-hanafud...

I am guessing that all projects are still on the site, but the unsuccessful ones do not have a separate listing or link within the Kickstarter site unless you were a previous backer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
xjohncandyx wrote:

I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing, check out this thread.

[thread=http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/768748/refunds-if-goal-i...][/thread]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
madmanw wrote:
xjohncandyx wrote:

I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing, check out this thread.

[thread=http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/768748/refunds-if-goal-i...][/thread]

Thanks for the thread. More specifically:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8546942#8546942

I guess just be aware of the project when backing IndieGoGo, but honestly I didn't know that there was a difference before.

The more you know *rainbow*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
Kickstarter's website is hard to navigate and I don't think that's an accident. Why can't I click on a "Show me all boardgame projects" ? Not sure why, but it seems to me that Kickstarter is intentionally hard to navigate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ukraineboo wrote:
Kickstarter's website is hard to navigate and I don't think that's an accident. Why can't I click on a "Show me all boardgame projects" ? Not sure why, but it seems to me that Kickstarter is intentionally hard to navigate.

For the EXACT same reason that the stuff you routinely buy in stores is located in a place forcing you to walk by lots of OTHER stuff to get there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Franklin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yes, I think Kickstarter only points out projects that are likely to meet their funding goal because they only make money on projects that are fully funded. They want as much money as possible going to sure sellers!

This insight on failure experiences is great. I wasn't up to date on IndieGoGo (and I have no idea how other sites manage this sort of thing.)

Any more tales of experiences with Kickfailures would be appreciated, I'm interested in the subject. It's like there's a whole underground of nega-projects that haven't seen the light of day...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
cannoneer wrote:
ukraineboo wrote:

For the EXACT same reason that the stuff you routinely buy in stores is located in a place forcing you to walk by lots of OTHER stuff to get there.

I don't think it is as simple as that. A project can be nearly impossible to stumble upon, unless you can type in the name of the project. To use your analogy, kickstarter forces you to walk down certain aisles and tries to block access to other aisles with pallet jacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was part of a kickstarter project that was cancelled.

I can still get to the site: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ScryingEyeGames/mortisto...

but I honestly don't know if anyone else can.

Both James Miller and I decided to reassess the project once a job opportunity moved him to Madison, Wisconsin quite suddenly and I weathered a death in the family. We contacted the few supporters we had and posted a video. The project continued long distance over the interwebs and Welcome to Mortiston, USA will be available at Origins 2012.

We may return to Kickstarter, but if we do it will be for much less money. Our initial (quite grandiose) project plans fell through after the point we decided to postpone the Kickstarter, when our printer sold his shop to a new owner and the new owner would not honor the quote made by the original printer for our folded roadmaps.

Mark
365ZED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Truesdell
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
ukraineboo wrote:

This is why I simply type 'game' in the search box and hit 'enter' twice. I feel like this gives me what I am looking for, though I do seem to get the same-ish results for a week or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tjohnfranklin wrote:
Something I've noticed about Kickstarter - it's very hard to find the pages for failed projects that never made their funding goal. So although the official stat for failures is 60%, it's hard to find details out about them.

Has anyone funded a project that then never made it to completion? What happened afterwards? Has the designer been in touch to inform you of their backup plan?

Or even worse - have you used a different service, like IndieGoGo, which doesn't refund you for backing unsuccessful projects? Did you get your game in the end?

I have backed two failed projects (and seven successful projects). Basically nothing happened with either of the failed projects. They didn't take my money, of course. And the projects are still visible in my profile and the pages are still up.

The first failed project, The Dying Dimension, was listed on BGG at the time, but has apparently now been removed. The designer didn't do much of anything after putting up the project. No contact, no effort to promote it, and it failed, and he has not responded to any post-failure inquiries. He just completely bailed out on his project. I thought that was total crap all around since it looked like an interesting game project (I guess you can sense my unhappiness).

My second failed project was Command Combat: Civil War. The designer did communicate afterwards via e-mails and continues to promote the game. However, there will not be another Kickstarter project for this because he chose to go off in another direction for publishing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Quinn
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
All failed projects are still out and about. I've been researching Kickstarter projects and I am particularly interested in why they fail, so I've been stumbling across a lot lately. I think the reason you don't notice them is three fold.
(1) No one likes to promote their failures after they've failed.
(2) Your inability to find them is probably a part of why they failed.
(3) Kickstarter only pushes you towards successful projects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.