Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Any advice on combining all 3 games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I initially had The Legend of Drizzt, and yesterday I got my hands on copies of Wrath and Castle.

And now I'm in a little bit of confuse.

1)Heroes.

Yes, there is no problem with using them as it's supposed.
But can I combine class powers from diffirent characters?
Like I take Alissa, pick careful strike(1 instant damage) and Drizzt's last blood(which allows you to move and strike during Villian phase), making any 1 hp monsters die instantly.

2)Treasures.

Those seem OK, except for treasure token system from Wrath.
For now I combined all trasure decks, then separated items from blessings.
Blessings will be drawn with the treasure token on monster kill, while items can be purchased for gold at the start of the game and in some key "shop" points.

3)Monsters.

They somehow tied with encounters, especially in Wrath. For now, I separated all monsters in two decks - Cave Monsters and Castle Monsters.
Cave monsters are all from the Legend of Drizzt + some from Wrath, whule Castle Monsters are all from the Castle Ravenloft + some from Wrath.

4)Encounters.

Same as monsters. Separation into the Castle Deck and Cave Deck. Though here it was more problematic due to encounters specifing monsters which are present in both decks listed before.

How did you solved it for yourself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/751087/variantsession-legend...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Null Null
msg tools
>But can I combine class powers from diffirent characters?
Yes. This came up in something official once. As long as it's the right card type: for example Fighter Utility you can take it from any character.
A problem with the third game and this is that some cards in LoD refer to tokens that are linked to the character and no the power in question. Specifically the stance tokens you mentioned. Alissa has no stance token to use Last Blood with.

I would actually advise not to mix monsters and encounters, they are specific to the themes of particular games in the series.

I do use LoD or WoA treasures instead of the ones that come with CR because I find the CR treasures to be boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, stance token is something you can come up with(for example you can use Drizzt's one, if he's not in play, or use some placeholder). Because you always can assume that characters, with no stance skills initially, have a virtual available stance token which wasn't included because game had no stances to the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My approach on the 3 games that i own:

1) Encounter cards
keep them in their original deck, depending on the adventure you are playing, because they are more thematic, and bound to the adventure

2) Treasure cards
separate ALL blessing and fortune cards (one shot effects) and all items.
Make 2 or 3 treasure decks (i have 3), giving them randomly equal number of blessings, fortune, and item cards, so every time you play an adventure , just use one of those decks for variability.

3) monster cards
separate, level 1,2,3 and 4 monsters, into their stacks.
form two separate decks randomly, that have equally dealt, those level monsters e.g. 10 level 1 , 12 level 2 etc, equally on those two monster decks, and use them in your adventures like treasure decks.

4) heroes, mix them altogether, it is ok with me.

5) choose an adventure and play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah but the dragon fighter in CR can breathe fire. so im guessing the dwarf in Ashardalon wont be taking that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Breathe fire is not a fighter ability, it's dragonborn(race) ability, so dwarf character cannot essentially use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you want to overpower the game, I would recommend not to mix character powers.

In my experience there are just too many game breaking combinations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if I am mixing every monster treasure and encounter card as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleZone wrote:
What if I am mixing every monster treasure and encounter card as well?

I've played with mixed treasure and encounters, but never mixed monsters because they really are meant to work together as a set in several cases. I don't see that mixing all those decks together mitigates the ridiculous combo's you can come up with when mixing character powers.

Just my personal experience, but play it with mixed character powers and see for yourself if you want. Granted, it was fun to see some of the combo's in action, but the game became way too easy for my tastes with the right mix of characters and powers.

Hell, I've even found some combo's to be too powerful without mixing. I just found one yesterday while playing with my nephews that is perfectly legal and really cheesy: The Secret Cave tile from Drizzt, Arjhan with the Trapping Strike at will power (iirc the name correctly) and Heskan with Wizard Eye. We stood in the Secret cave and let the monsters revealed by Wizard Eye come to us (you don't draw encounter cards while in the Secret Cave). When the monster was one tile away, I pulled him to me and attacked with Trapping Strike and if it wasn't dead, Heskan would use Hypnosis to move him a tile away. Ping pong death. Only ranged attackers could hurt us.

Now, of course we could have just left the Secret Cave instead of using this cheesy tactic, but we got beat up badly before the Secret Cave tile appeared and were all 4 hp or less with no healing available, one surge left and many tiles left to reveal before the end boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.