Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Nexus Ops» Forums » Rules

Subject: lol @ setup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drift -
msg tools
Just an ammusing rule I've come across that seems to serve no purpose other then to waste time... I was just going through the setup phase by myself to get a hang of it for tommorow. It told me to place tiles upside down, so I do so, build the board. Very next rule "Then flip all the tiles faceup".

Why did you get me to place them all upside down if now your going to get me to waste time trying to keep em all in position while flipping em back over. It's needlessly fiddly. Can you imagine playing Catan if the rules were to lay the pieces upside down then flip them, and someone actually insisted on that XD

Further, if your not anal about it, why not adjust the board after it's layed down? Again using catan as an example, it actually stipulates in the rules that you should move certain tiles if they are laid in a way as to disadvantage a particular player. I'll probably do the same in this game to make a fairer opening if a player is obviously disadvantaged from the get-go.

I'd be interested in anyone elses opinions on this? I've obviously not played the game yet myself, is there a good reason for laying them facedown, and does anyone actually do so?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
DriftRS wrote:

Further, if your not anal about it, why not adjust the board after it's layed down? Again using catan as an example, it actually stipulates in the rules that you should move certain tiles if they are laid in a way as to disadvantage a particular player. I'll probably do the same in this game to make a fairer opening if a player is obviously disadvantaged from the get-go.


that's why they have the rule. so that you don't rearrange it but you could just as easily shuffle and place them out face up.

the setup is meant to be asymetrical and makes for interesting replayability. you just attack or guard against the stronger player.

the advantage draws a target on their back
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drift -
msg tools
yeah, I get why they did it, but as you say it's very easy to just place pieces without rearanging them. I'll see how a few games go, I'm honestly unsure how the balance of the opening effects the game yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DriftRS wrote:

I'd be interested in anyone elses opinions on this? I've obviously not played the game yet myself, is there a good reason for laying them facedown, and does anyone actually do so?


We always do facedown first.

It just prevents human pattern recognition from subconsciously grouping bits.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This just arrived on Monday. Now I really gotta open it up and find out what you are all talking about

I hope it plays as well as it looks...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the same thing (just arranged the tiles face up in a set pattern after shuffling them face down) on the first play.

I also wish the game came with some kind of outer board template to lock the tiles in place and keep them from moving around. I realize it's supposed to allow for flexibility, but it's a bit of a pain to constantly be fiddling with them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
several people have solved that by playing on a rubberized mat.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
several people have solved that by playing on a rubberized mat.

Yeah. Go to a fabric store and buy some nonslip stuff. Works great for hex tile games.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DriftRS wrote:
Again using catan as an example, it actually stipulates in the rules that you should move certain tiles if they are laid in a way as to disadvantage a particular player.

It does? I just looked at the rules at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/40528/the-settlers-of-..., and I can't find anything that says to move any tiles.

It does say to move the tokens so that red (6 and 8 tokens) are not adjacent to each other, but thats only in the "full random" setup, rather than the standard setup rules for experienced players.


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like the set up procedure for TI3 would have been more interesting. In TI3 set up, players take turns laying tiles until all rings are filled. Players are trying to screw other players and gain an advantage for themselves. And in the end, it all kind of evens out, without having to flip over randomly dealt tiles.

A TI3 type system would be interactive instead of fiddly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
marhawkman wrote:
several people have solved that by playing on a rubberized mat.

Yeah. Go to a fabric store and buy some nonslip stuff. Works great for hex tile games.


Thanks for the suggestion, guys. Good idea!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ClineCon wrote:
Something like the set up procedure for TI3 would have been more interesting. In TI3 set up, players take turns laying tiles until all rings are filled. Players are trying to screw other players and gain an advantage for themselves. And in the end, it all kind of evens out, without having to flip over randomly dealt tiles.

A TI3 type system would be interactive instead of fiddly.


And that's a good idea, too!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wheelockian wrote:
ClineCon wrote:
Something like the set up procedure for TI3 would have been more interesting. In TI3 set up, players take turns laying tiles until all rings are filled. Players are trying to screw other players and gain an advantage for themselves. And in the end, it all kind of evens out, without having to flip over randomly dealt tiles.

A TI3 type system would be interactive instead of fiddly.
And that's a good idea, too!
I've tried it, it's kinda fun actually.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drift -
msg tools
marhawkman wrote:
Wheelockian wrote:
ClineCon wrote:
Something like the set up procedure for TI3 would have been more interesting. In TI3 set up, players take turns laying tiles until all rings are filled. Players are trying to screw other players and gain an advantage for themselves. And in the end, it all kind of evens out, without having to flip over randomly dealt tiles.

A TI3 type system would be interactive instead of fiddly.
And that's a good idea, too!
I've tried it, it's kinda fun actually.

Thats a cool idea, might try it as a variation
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One could also put all the tiles in a bag, identify which tile spot will be placed next, pull out a tile from the bag randomly to fill it, and repeat until the layout is finished.

This way you won't have to flip over tiles, nor will you be consciously or subconsciously skewing the layout.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
consciously skewing the layout is the FUN part!!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteKnight85 wrote:
One could also put all the tiles in a bag, identify which tile spot will be placed next, pull out a tile from the bag randomly to fill it, and repeat until the layout is finished.

This way you won't have to flip over tiles, nor will you be consciously or subconsciously skewing the layout.



That would work if the tiles were only sizes of 1-hex. But for the 2-hex tiles (which the AH edition had, don't know about FFG edition), you'd take the tile out and then have to make a choice (even a subtle subconscious choice) about which way to align the tile to the board. I think the "place face down first" rule takes that "choice" away.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
the idea here is that players CHOOSE tiles AND WHERE to put those tiles!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
the idea here is that players CHOOSE tiles AND WHERE to put those tiles!


Yeah that would be an interesting variant, but I was referring to (and quoted) the proposed "randomly draw from a bag" method of random set-up.

(Oh and as for why Catan isn't a good comparable example is that Catan is ALL one-hex tiles, so there's no "choice" to make in laying it on the board - just do the next hex that needs to be filled.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, right. Yeah that sorta works too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.