Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted this at CSW, but also wanted to post here...

If you had a choice between the following, which would be your preference? [note that I'm just collecting information and the decision will ultimate be made by us, not a "vote tally", per se. But just want to gauge interest in these two options]

1) Four Player Aid Cards (PACs), one of each House Color [York, Lancaster, Buckingham and Warwick], with each being double sided 8.5" x 11" cardstock (full color). They would have 85% common information, such as a TEC, sequence of play, etc., and maybe 15% House specific rules (stuff concerning the specific House Heir's - e.g. what Shires are their Home estates; turn of entry, etc. Stuff that is located elsewhere, as well, but could be lumped together here, too).

2) Two full color 8.5 x 11" PAC's, each containing 100% common information to be shared among all players. The other 2 full sized PAC's would be "cut" in half to create four House specific 8.5" x 5.5" Player Mats, with places for each person to place their Heirs (Junior and Senior), any office cards that the hold, a place to hold their Influence Points and any Undeclared Nobles, and a spot where Ally Cards can be kept. Sort of a "self organizer" for each House (though people could also just lay these out in front of them in any way, shape or form, instead).

We got permission for 4 of the 8.5 x 11" cardstocks (full color), so we just want to decide which is the best way to utilize these resources.

-K
current lead designer, CoR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm inclined to vote for #1.

Have you considered inserting a Poll here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiggo Morrison
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Number 1 please

And what the Frog of Destiny said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Number 1 is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But that would require that I figure out how to insert polls :-) :-) :-).

-K

stuarttigger wrote:

And what the Frog of Destiny said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Which Option do you like (4 PAC's, or 2 + 4 Player Mats)?
Which type of PAC structure would you like?
4 House-color PAC's with mostly common info & some House specific
2 Generic PAC's and 4 House Player Mats
      37 answers
Poll created by kbernatz

Ok...let's see if this works...

-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sims
Australia
Kangaroo Flat
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the second option. The need for every player to have an individual PAC will only be for a very limited time, whereas the benefit of a house mat would be enjoyed every single game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And of course the answers are nearly split 50/50 at this point :-).

Can't make it easy for us, huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sims
Australia
Kangaroo Flat
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dssims wrote:
I prefer the second option. The need for every player to have an individual PAC will only be for a very limited time, whereas the benefit of a house mat would be enjoyed every single game.

Please let me know if what I am suggesting is not legal, but you could photocopy the 2 generic sheets to make 4 and still have the player mats if they are included in the box.

Otherwise you have to start with player mats from scratch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not speaking for GMT here, but my understanding of standard copyright law is that as long as you're making copies for personal use and not trying to sell them or make a profit out of it, you are allowed by law to do so (though - again - this is purely an "IMO").

The issue is more that the generic sheets would lack house specific information, so while you could easily end up with 4 generic PAC's, you would not necessarily have 4 House specific PAC's.

One compromise that we're looking at is whether we can fit the House specific stuff on the player mats...which then gives us the best of both worlds. Only question is whether we can do that and still get a Player mat that is functional within the context of what we're trying to accomplish with it.

Joys of developing and all that ;-)

-K

dssims wrote:
dssims wrote:

Please let me know if what I am suggesting is not legal, but you could photocopy the 2 generic sheets to make 4 and still have the player mats if they are included in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sims
Australia
Kangaroo Flat
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was assuming that all the house specific stuff would be on the mat. If that is not possible I would be voting for the four individualised PACs.

kbernatz wrote:
Not speaking for GMT here, but my understanding of standard copyright law is that as long as you're making copies for personal use and not trying to sell them or make a profit out of it, you are allowed by law to do so (though - again - this is purely an "IMO").

The issue is more that the generic sheets would lack house specific information, so while you could easily end up with 4 generic PAC's, you would not necessarily have 4 House specific PAC's.

One compromise that we're looking at is whether we can fit the House specific stuff on the player mats...which then gives us the best of both worlds. Only question is whether we can do that and still get a Player mat that is functional within the context of what we're trying to accomplish with it.

-K

dssims wrote:
dssims wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The mat would be for helping people lay out the various components in front of them in a manner that is easy to access that which is needed. We're looking at some options that Stephen is mocking up that look to have the majority - if not all - of the House specific information on them, as well.

That is our tentative plan, giving us 2 generic PAC's and 4 House specific player mats with all the House specific information on them. If we can't get the House specific information on the mats, then we'll have to decide whether we like the mats enough to keep them (and use just 2 generic PAC's) or go to the 4 House specific PAC's.

The amount of House specific data is relatively small, so even a "House specific" PAC will still be 85-90% "generic"...

-K

dssims wrote:
I was assuming that all the house specific stuff would be on the mat. If that is not possible I would be voting for the four individualised PACs.

kbernatz wrote:

-K

dssims wrote:
dssims wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.