Michael Fuller
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Anyone know of anything that could hold a group of counters vertically? Having a slant is fine, therefore does not need to be perpendicular to the table surface. Each counter in stack does not have completely viewable. However, would like to be able to see at least the top third of a counter that is behind another. Something like a set of steps would be ok.

I thought of having small magnets attached to the backs and use rectangular strip of magnetic material. But thought repeatedly pulling the counters off and on during play might get a little annoying after a while.

Thanks greatly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Some block games have a block that simply refers to an off board stack. Is that what you're attempting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Little plastic card stands or game stands can do the job. Check Boards & Bits for prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fuller
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are counter game that do the same like Carthage. And that is always an option but I'd like to have all the counters remain on the maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fuller
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I forgot an import piece of info. I'd like horizontal space used to be no more than 3/4".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
A fascinating idea.

As you mentioned, a small set of two or three or whatever number of little steps, one for each counter. Important information at the top of each counter would be visible.

Brilliant.

Could also be useful in games with fog-of-war or in games with "untried units" where the actual strength of the formation is unknown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AKQJX
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you know any woodworkers or have some simple tools you could make wood lengths (perhaps balsa if weight is an issue) with angled cuts as slots to hold whatever thickness of counters you'd need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fuller
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see Boards & Bits have stands but I would imagine putting more than 2 in the stand while being able to see portions of the rear counters to be a pain.

I guess ideally would be like the tile stands used in Scrabble but instead of just one step it would have 4.

._|
._|
._|
._|

And the bottom be no larger than 3/4" by 3/4".

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're talking about "Counter Sleds". The topic I saw last year:
Counter Sleds, cool product - cooler (& immensely cheaper) to make your own for all you tileghouls

Essentially, you would put a counter, or a stack of counters on this, much like a very short Scrabble tile holder.

These come from http://www.rdoxx.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another thread about sleds ... sorta ...
Block wargame without the blocks

But, I think you're going to end up with some kind of custom solution.

You might start out with a plain sled like shown in the pics from rdoxx. But you'll need to add the "stairs" yourself.

Maybe try making one out of clay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fuller
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
A fascinating idea.

Brilliant.

Thanks. I thought so

Basically the idea is to simulate the Fog of War aspect of block games. But the reason I'm looking at going this direction is that block games that use hexes, the hexes are huge. I'd like to get more hexes on a map without the map becoming huge.

As another possible benefit, depending on the design of the holder, you may also be able to hide the number of units in each hex.

Of course the alternative to all this is just use counters as normal and place a "shielding" counter on top of each stack. But the nice thing about blocks is the player can see at a glance what units of his are in each hex without picking up the stack.

Maybe I'm just crazy. I get like that sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fuller
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleds

Thanks guys. I'll take a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AKQJX
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, another option is that you can buy styrene channel from a model/hobby shop and glue it together to form the stairsteps. The nice thing there is you can make the sleds with whatever stack height is appropriate for units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fuller
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
funbelievable wrote:
Well, another option is that you can buy styrene channel from a model/hobby shop and glue it together to form the stairsteps. The nice thing there is you can make the sleds with whatever stack height is appropriate for units.

Thanks I look at that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a possible solution: no alterations to the counter sled, but turn the counters sideways and "fan" them out ... so the info you wanted on top is now on the side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fuller
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
Here's a possible solution: no alterations to the counter sled, but turn the counters sideways and "fan" them out ... so the info you wanted on top is now on the side.

You're full of good ideas.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
What you are inquiring upon is a 'counter sleigh' and of which this 'chap' is most knowledgeable all about:
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll suggest you can make your own from the 'Scrabble' tile holders, when those were cut apart into sections, from these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur O'Dwyer
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another "outside the box" solution to your original problem — assuming your original problem is "I want to be able to see all my chits, but not allow my opponent to see my chits" — is to use a player shield... or several mini-player-shields, if the chits need to be out on the board in different places yet still shielded from the opponent's view.

I can't figure out how to search BGG images for the tag "player shield", but you know what I'm talking about, right? Piece of cardboard, folded, standing upright to hide whatever's behind it. The chits behind it don't need to stand up; they can just lie flat on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to see at conventions a product designed to do this. They were made of plastic and called Nebelwerfer. Since nobody else here seems to be mentioning them, I suppose they went out of business. I wonder if anyone has old ones around someplace though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat Lord
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would this link give you the edge you want?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what Cat Lord was pointing to, but the closest I found to a device to hold the counters vertically:

But that one is designed to hold slips of paper, not chipboard counters. Not sure if it can be adjusted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat Lord
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was offering a way to make some basic custom counters that stand up, however those standees are also an option from the site. I'm sure that they would be willing to negotiate a slightly wider design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Yeung
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nebelwerfer smoke screen looks like this.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=14551...

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=14551...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Two years ago Rick said:

heli wrote:
I used to see at conventions a product designed to do this. They were made of plastic and called Nebelwerfer. Since nobody else here seems to be mentioning them, I suppose they went out of business. I wonder if anyone has old ones around someplace though.

I have a box of them that I just unearthed, and would be happy to give them a new home if any game designers are still reading this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Yeung
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your post, Neal.
I am interesting in these Nebelwerfer counter stands.

How many of these do you have?

Cheers,
edward

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.