Subject: In praise of awesome tutorial-reviews. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just learned Claustrophobia yesterday, and have to call out Sphere's amazing game walkthrough: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/515679/the-dirty-14-doze...

I think this is hands-down the best way to learn a game quickly and comprehensively. How many times have you read the rules for a game, even a couple of times, and even checked out FAQs and supporting materials and yet still had to stop multiple times to check how to play something that, in practice, seems very basic? For me it happens constantly. BGG is an amazing resource, usually I'll read rules, check the most popular Rules forum topics, and files and go from there. But as far as an all-in-one source for us rules fanatics, there is just no substitute for an actual detailed playthrough where the writer took the time to be clear and correct about rules, and to explain them fully.

And look at the love that post got -- let this be a lesson to some of BGG's great rules-explainers/reviewers -- there is a serious dearth of helpful reviews like this!

Anyone run into similar posts for other games? This would have probably cut my Agricola learning time in half at least. (Though Scott's video is quite good.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
Anyone run into similar posts for other games?

For Arkham Horror, but not really posts, but videos:
Arkham Horror 11 part video tutorial series now available
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ThomasAH wrote:
AstroLad wrote:
Anyone run into similar posts for other games?

For Arkham Horror, but not really posts, but videos:
Arkham Horror 11 part video tutorial series now available

Ah yes, another one of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.