Jordan RC
Canada
flag msg tools
I'll be going on a road trip for a couple of weeks soon and and hoping to kill two birds with one stone: add a new game to my collection and get a game that travels well. I also want it to be a heavy enough and interesting enough game that I can play it with my group at home and not have it feel like a travel game.

I guess what I'm looking for is a good game in a small box without a ton of pieces to lose. Games that come to mind (that are owned by me or my group) that I might consider in this category would be Innovation, Citadels, Cutthroat Caverns, Race for the Galaxy (bit on the bigger side but doable).

Looking for games that play 3-4 people, more is a plus but not necessary. Will also consider 2 player games but prefer more, as I'm traveling as a group of 3.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M *
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Saboteur is the way to go. One of my favorite games. Traitor mechanic, card laying, player interactions. Comes in a tiny box.

Citadels and Race are good choices, Collosal Arena is another good one about the same size. I think original copies of Bang are small as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that for card games like Race you can put them in a smaller box or a couple of card decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iliad is a good card/war game that scales well up to 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Clarke
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
www.unhalfbricking.com
badge
EuroGamer since 1980, & online games retailer since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldie but goodie is Tutankhamen Packs very small, & is completely scalable from 2-6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally don't like Saboteur.

Iliad is a great game though, you'll need to play a few rounds to 'get' it. Great game, superb art.

Palastgefluster (Dark Whisperings) is a great 3 - 5 player game. A really nice 'take that!" card game. Affordable. Fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan McNamara
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus Magna Carta, great with 2, 3, or 4. My top recommendation.

Consider looking into some new-to-you traditional card games. Pitch, Schnapsen, Ulti... Here's a good geeklist with many interesting sounding games:Traditional Card Games that Should be Played More.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Goldstein
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Fzzzt! and Ark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goran M
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Caylus Magna Carta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carccassonne can all go in the drawbag and would travel ok. I've made a travel version of Dixit - all the cards in a cutdown box with the rabbeeples and a strip paper/card board. I like The Resistance more as a traitor mechanic than saboteur - but if you had sab 1 and 2 you have got a nice potential for different player numbers. Hive always comes up in terms of travel games, which is prob a reasonable call for two players. I quite like Keltis das kartenspeil as a travel game too, playes 2-4 nicely in an easy to teach game thats got a little bit too enjoy. If you pack 7 wonders into the leaders box you've got another flexible option game, but its sort of getting a little larger/heavier for backpacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza
Pickomino
Pocket Rockets

+1 Innovation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find it, get Traders of Carthage. Just do it, you'll thank me later.

Other games that come to mind would be Condottiere, Chronicle, Biblios, and Rattus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Condottiere (big game in a small box)
Hellas (2p)
Red November (co-op; even the new, larger edition is still pretty compact)
The Dwarf King (newer trick-taking game from Bruno Faidutti)
Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans (2p; compact, easy, but fun to create your units before battling)
Camelot Legends (card game)
Citadels (exactly what you're looking for)
Haggis (2-3 players)
The Battle for Hill 218 (2p card game)
Space Station Assault (2p card game)
Carcassonne: The Castle (smaller, 2p-only version; a good take on Carcassonne)
Chronicle (3-6 players; a twist on trick taking)
Omen: A Reign of War (2-4 player; card drafting; plays in much less than an hour)

EDIT:
Whups, sorry, I forgot Citadels is mentioned in the OP blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan RC
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for the advice guys. I picked up Condottiere from a local game shop (along with 7 Wonders Leaders, haha).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.